Hair loss

loveable37

I just removed my braids it seems like all my prgress gone down the drain my hair got MATTED like dread locs it took me HOURS/HOURS to remove KNOTTS/TANGLES i used some detangle spray it came out fine.But soon as i wash my hair:wallbash:feels like i lot 10 inches of my progress gone competely, what do i go from here, i have a scarf on my head disappointed to take it off.My mind tellin me to STOP!!!!!!
NO MORE RELAXER:nono:
GO NATURAL :yep:
i am so :sad: as how to get my PROGRESS back for peoples notice my hair thin out badly along with 3 inches of newgrowth .

How do i explain my hair issue ,and why my hair shedded all at once in huge balls:wallbash: ?

Oh so sorry to hear about this. I've been there before. Now before you get too depressed are you sure that the shedding wasn't normal accumulation of hair that you would have lost anyway if your hair was down. Remember you didn't comb it in a while (I assume quite a few weeks). All the knots and tension might be because you have a lot of new growth.

I want to encourage you to go ahead and access the damage so you can get right to work. Go ahead and take that towel down and get you some slippery -- and I mean slippery conditioner and work your way slowly threw. I bet its not going to be half as bad as you imagine.

Last edited:
It took me like 5:30 in the morning, till 5:00 in the evenin to finish i mean my neck were so sore it made me almost pass out.
I use
3 BOTTLES OF CONDITIONER
1 BOOTLE OLIVE OIL
JAR OF MAYO OUT FRIG
HOUR OF RUNNIN WATER
2 BOOTLES OF DETANGLES
It were so mattted like locs i know i had to cut all my hair off but instead it broke off badly cause i were not using any products on my braids at all.

I am 3 month trying to strengh to 6 months my braids were in 4 weeks.

It took me like 5:30 in the morning, till 5:00 in the evenin to finish i mean my neck were so sore it made me almost pass out.
I use
3 BOTTLES OF CONDITIONER
1 BOOTLE OLIVE OIL
JAR OF MAYO OUT FRIG
HOUR OF RUNNIN WATER
2 BOOTLES OF DETANGLES
It were so mattted like locs i know i had to cut all my hair off but instead it broke off badly cause i were not using any products on my braids at all.

I am 3 month trying to strengh to 6 months my braids were in 4 weeks.

So are you saying you didn't put ANYTHING on your braids the entire 4 weeks you wore the braids? And no pooing or spray or anything? I wonder if the above products contributed to the matting? It seems like an awful lot of stuff to use.

I didnt use any extension so i thought it wasnt necessary to put anythin on my hair ,i remember using some OILVE OIL HAIR LOTION once ,and i didnt tied my hair down everynight either,

I just feel so bad i dont know where to start :ohwell: my question to myself should i go natural how would i maintain my hair or should i go head relax this weekend (:rolleyes:)honestly i lost count on how long its been since my last relaxer but my newgrowth scarrin me i never had so much :wallbash:

I didnt use any extension so i thought it wasnt necessary to put anythin on my hair ,i remember using some OILVE OIL HAIR LOTION once ,and i didnt tied my hair down everynight either,

I just feel so bad i dont know where to start :ohwell: my question to myself should i go natural how would i maintain my hair or should i go head relax this weekend (:rolleyes:)honestly i lost count on how long its been since my last relaxer but my newgrowth scarrin me i never had so much :wallbash:

I'm so sorry to hear about this! I know how it is to lose hair. I think the major issue is that you didn't moisturize and shampoo your hair while it was braided. From what I understand, you should still shampoo (with diluted 'poo), deep condition and moisturize your hair (every day) while in braids. I wore my hair in twists for a 3-4 weeks and I just about soaked my hair twice a day with braid spray and creamy moisturizer. As a result, my hair retained a lot of length. Sounds like you had microbraids because of how long it took to you to take them down. Man, I feel your pain. At this point, you will definitely have to determine whether you want to go natural and just do a big chop or if you want to risk a relaxer on possibly damaged hair. Good luck with whatever you choose. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
I'm going through a similar situation -- thanks to a jealous beautican. I now have bald spots.

In one day, I went from having long thick hair to having odviously thinner long hair. My husband and daughter tell me it looks fine, however, I know how much better my hair was.

The first thing you have to do is not worry about what people think!

It's you head. Do what makes you happy!

If you decide to cut your hair - That's fine. However, if you are anything like me, you don't want to cut your hair.

If you decide to salvage what you have and proceed from here that's fine.

I decided to wear my hair in a ponytail until my hair grows back.

After the washing and conditioning process, I put gel on the hair that lays down, put my hair in a ponytail and roll the hair that is in the pony tail. (Don't put gel on the ponytail) I then sit under the dyer until my hair is dry.

While I know this is not the best hairstyle, I know I'm happier with it than I'd be if I got my hair cut off.

Just don't get discouraged. In a year, things will be better.

Don't let the person who braided your hair do it again. It seems strange to me that after 4 weeks, your natural hair was matted so badly.

God Bless!

I am so very sorry this happened to you. I hope you can do some deep conditioning treatments and recover.

If you decide to ever braid again, it is important to wet them and add moisture or they will matt like you have described. Also, there are braid sprays on the market now that is designed to help the braids come out more easily. 2 that I know of are

Better Braids - UnBraid
Soft and Beautiful - Anti Breakage Braid Release

Or just washing them before starting the removal process will soften them. Then slather on a moiturizing conditioner and then comb them out gently starting with the tips.

I am in the process of removing a set of micro braids on my own hair that have been in for 2 months with no problem--I am all natural though. I use the Soft and Beautiful Anti Breakage Braid Release and it help, plus I added conditioner.

I wish you a smooth recovery. Like earlier post said, it may not be as bad as you think it is.

THANK YALL FOR THE COURAGE !!!
I told me son ,
I feel like cuttin my hair off this short
he :look:at me and said:nono: ur hair too long to cut off u crazy
so now i still havent decided to go head relax or not
I wants some more braids but try takin better care of them next time :drunk:
righ now i DEEP CONDITION and straighened it out to check my progress and its so disappointin/depress :wallbash:

Back