hair journey sabotage

afrofaithful

I saw this article on black girl long hair's blog http://bglhonline.com/2011/01/7-surefire-ways-to-sabotage-your-natural-hair-journey/. I thought it was pretty interesting to see what some people think are detrimental to their hhj.

Which brings me to this thread!! What are some things that you guys think are considered sabotage for your hhj. I'd have to say for me it's being impatient. I think my hair is supposed to grow super fast, but I have to be patient and stay diligent!!!

What about you?

Last edited:
Sleepin' on stuff without wearing a scarf or bonnet or anything on your head.:nono: Including never wearing anything on your hair outside, all.the.time.

Braid extensions! Especially when you just get too comfortable or if you get to thinking they are going to help your hair grow out if you keep them in longer.....uh....no.

That one. The clip happy stylists, cutting more than requested... swangin and clacking those marcels... *walks off grumbling to self*

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Braid extensions! Especially when you just get too comfortable or if you get to thinking they are going to help your hair grow out if you keep them in longer.....uh....no.

O girl!! I know this all too well. I had some braids in for like 3-4 months that I barely washed, this was with me working out too. I was a dirty growth believer. :nono: I was going home and I was so excited about how much hair I was going to have on my head. I took those bad boys out and it was a tangled, broken, dirty mess! My kitchen beautician (grandma), had to cut my hair all the way to nl. After that fiasco I found this website. I have had braids since but I definitely learned how to take care of my hair when in them and since, I've been reaping the benefits. :lick:

Braids, weaves, wigs, braid outs, knot outs ANY form of manipulation really.

I LOVE how these look and how you can change up your look with them BUT my edges would have a fit and leave me if I ever went back to these. I might be able to get away with the random braid/bantu knot out but that's it.

I've been trying to find a way to switch up my look besides a bun my hair LOVES to be bunned. I'm thinking of using flexi-rods for curls since I cannot roller set. We'll see how that goes.

I LOVE how these look and how you can change up your look with them BUT my edges would have a fit and leave me if I ever went back to these. I might be able to get away with the random braid/bantu knot out but that's it.

ITA
This was a VERY brief chapter for myself, I almost forgot... "Outs" on unstretched hair. :nono:

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Protein. My hair no likey at all.
Wearing my hair in wash and go's and any other shrunken free form style. Not on this head....

I've been trying to find a way to switch up my look besides a bun my hair LOVES to be bunned. I'm thinking of using flexi-rods for curls since I cannot roller set. We'll see how that goes.

i was so scared of those things when i was relaxed that i avoided them all. roller sets and wraps helped my hair to grow. braid extensions take my hairline out. not that they are too tight, but my hairline is really fine and can't handle the extra weight.

now being a natural, heat styling and manipulation will kill my HHJ. my hair can't take all of that. plus i'm afraid to get a weave. i thought about it to hide my hair for 6 weeks, but i think i will be asking for trouble. i'm scared about someone being rough with braiding my hair. i don't like to blowdry my hair out to get it braided. but i tend to do stupid things to my hair when i get bored. i will cut it.

Excessive product experimenting-- If what you are using is giving the results you want- STICK WITH THEM!

twistouts haven't hurt my hair, i was brastrap( never been this long in all my life) in october and get a dusting very 6 months......i don't re-twist at night i just stuff it under a bonnet and fluff with my fingers in the am.i i have fine edges but it hasn't hurt them at all.....constant bunning is the debil for me though, everyone's hair is different:yep:

Weaves...and hanging to the words of my stylist who only piled on to the list of crappy suggestions.

She said my hair hates protein.....only for me to find out how untrue that is....and on and on.

Bunning..thins my ends and fuels breakage. I know it works for others...but I ain't one of them.

Sleeping without any hair protect AND leaning or rubbing head on sofa or pillows without being careful of friction. Leads to tons of SSKs at the back of my head. :nono:

What did it for me was too much protein and texlaxing my hair. I have learned that too much protein causes breakage. Also putting chemicals in my hair keeps me at shoulder length and I just cannot stop the breakage. So no more perms for me.

My issue use to be detangling, it took a lot of trail and error to find the best way to mitigate against breakage. I don't like detangling sobbing wet hair in the shower I prefer after my hair has deep conditioned and is damp.

Big No No for me is combing without products in my hair and not taking my time and care. Hear a snap stop and put on more products. Luckily I haven't heard the snapping sound for a long time!

Also keep my hair off my clothes. Bunning and ponytailing are my PS.:drunk:

Last edited:
I've been feeling like detangling is becoming an issue for me as I think my hair is getting a little thicker (hopefully...). Even when I detangle with my fingers I get broken hairs, and it just takes entirely too long! I'ts great if you can spend 33424 hours just dentangling your hair...but ummm I HAVE STUFF TO DO! I think maybe I'll try a seamless, bone comb. Have you all tried these? I was looking at these...

Bone Combs (Bakelite Combs)

or...

hotCombs: Magic Star Rake Set

but they're sooo expensive!!! I need to start saving lol...

I've been feeling like detangling is becoming an issue for me as I think my hair is getting a little thicker (hopefully...). Even when I detangle with my fingers I get broken hairs, and it just takes entirely too long! I'ts great if you can spend 33424 hours just dentangling your hair...but ummm I HAVE STUFF TO DO! I think maybe I'll try a seamless, bone comb. Have you all tried these? I was looking at these...

Bone Combs (Bakelite Combs)

or...

hotCombs: Magic Star Rake Set

but they're sooo expensive!!! I need to start saving lol...

I have the Magic Star Jumbo Rake. I use it after I've detangled my hair with a paddle brush. It's a pretty good comb. There are no seams to snag the hair and rip it out.

I tried that "sole finger detangling" business the last time that I detangled my hair and it was a no-go for me. Apparently, I didn't detangle my hair well enough, and I had to detangle some after I washed it.

I find that I get less broken hairs when I let the oil and conditioner sit for a little while before I start manipulating hair with the paddle brush & comb. It's easier for me (and better for my hair) if I let the conditioner and oil do most of the work.

What will sabotage my hhj...
I seriously think that I won't, and I don't, retain length if I don't protect my hair with protective styles.

and also putting heat, but I'm not tempted to see my hair flat-ironed, or blowdried, so this, is not a problem.

Back