Hair Issues - Thining and dryness

trinidarkie1

I cut and colored my hair in march 2004, since then I've grown the color out and well the colored parts dropped off.
So now it's looking healthy, but it grows thick in the back, thin in the middle to the top and on the right side.
My friend said that's because I sleep on my right side and on the back of my head.
How do I even this out? I tried conditioning washes a couple times a week. Leave in conditioners on the weekends etc. But I have no length or body.
So I'm stuck using those half wigs and extension pony tails. Braiding kills me, my hair falls out with the braids cos they are too tight and I wrap and tie my hair with a silk scarf every night after apply that Olive Oil dry scalp lotion.
What can I do?

Ahmmn.. I am beginning to wonder if nobody likes me or that my posts are stupid.
I just figured that with so many of ladies experiencing so much success with your hair growth over the years etc, that someone would have some suggestion as to what products and hair care regimen I could develop.
IMO, I've always done things that I thought promoted hair growth, but obviously not enough.
*frown*

Check my fotki for new pics

Sorry, I can't help because my head is the same way. The side I lay on is thinner also (left), I try to switch up, but when I wake the next morning, I'm back on my left side. I thinking about braiding my hair before bed and seeing if that may help.

Ahmmn.. I am beginning to wonder if nobody likes me or that my posts are stupid.
I just figured that with so many of ladies experiencing so much success with your hair growth over the years etc, that someone would have some suggestion as to what products and hair care regimen I could develop.
IMO, I've always done things that I thought promoted hair growth, but obviously not enough.
*frown*

Oh no! I'm sure thats not the case at all.:nono: There are no stupid questions- and I guess people are slow getting back in the mix because the site has been down the last few days.

I have a few questions for you...

How often are you deep conditioning? Hair that has been colored is compromised and needs extra moisture and protein to keep it strong and healthy.

Is the texture of your hair even throughout your head? Meaning, if you are a 4a/b are the thinner sections "b" that would need more moisture than the "a" parts?

Do you think your styling choices may be contributing to the thinning? I know for one that ponytails tend to wreak havoc on the edges and the crown where they are typcially placed. Maybe you should try some no-tension styles for the next few months to give your hair a break. Braidouts and twistouts are good for this.:)

Last edited:
Thanks Sistaslick.
well right now I just do a basic moisturizing wash with the Motions Moisturizing shampoo and then I use the Motions Herbal conditioner.
After that i put a leave in and let it airdry then I add some oils and that's it

Ahmn I used one of those IC Damaged hair treatments in the pack for a buck something last saturday.
Should I do that every weekend then?

As for hair styles. It's either I have one of those half wigs in for a few weeks.
Then I switch to a high pony tail.
I used to weave my hair a lot even when I had long hair.
Also, I notice when I put too much product in my hair, like oils and stuff, my hair feels and looks stringy, since there isnt much body, I tend to leave it drier so when I style it it looks fuller.
the texture of my hair is pretty much the same all over. It's relaxed, not natural. I dont think I can go natural, I rather have healthy relaxed hair.
I dont relax often.

Hey trini, if you are wearing a high pony-tail you might be inadvertently putting too much stress on the hair at the top of your head.

Also, Sistaslick could be right about the different textures. It's extremely rare to have the same texture all over one's head and the crown is usually "coarser" than the rest.

One product you might want to try on the thinner parts of your hair is ORS Temple Balm. Cayenne pepper is one of the active ingredients and is reputed to greatly help with thickening up thin spots.

Good luck!

I'm gonna reccommend using castor oil as a pre-poo treatment weekly. This will thicken up your hair as well as moisturize it. Also for your problem areas- get a btl of vitamin e and poke a hole in the capsule and apply the oil directly to your problem areas. Do this twice daily ( in a week or so you should notice results). Another thing that would stimulate growth is scalp massage and using rosemary oil (15-20 drops) diluted in sweet almond oil.

I would also recommend that you try some deep moisturizing treatments and especially some protein treatments. I've been doing weekly protein treatments (with heat) since I found this board and one other. My hair which has thinned as I've aged and because of my general apathy towards hair care for the past 20 years had greatly improved since I joined here in August 2005
!
I would also recommend that you experiment with some of the many products and treatmens the ladies here recommend. You will likely find products and techniques that will help you better manage the different textures you have. I've found some wonderful products (MNT, Kenra, Giovanni to name a few) and methods (Sylver2's scarf method of drying and stretching my relaxers) that have really helped my hair get healthy and longer (I've retained about 2 inches since I started this journey and am about 1 inch from brastrap now). Motions works for some people but I found that after a while it just didn't do much for my hair anymore (although I still use their CPR product).Washing more frequently also helps my hair. I wash at least 2x per week.

Be patient with yourself and your hair as you experiment to see what works best for you.

trini i think your hair looks beautiful. i think your hair looks really thick. As for dryness I have no suggestions because I am battling it myself.:ohwell:

Hey Trini...

I have the same problem in the back of my head. I dont think it's a genetic issue because this area, although a different texture from the rest of my hair and prone to dryness, seems to grow healthy when I wear braids. However, I normally wear my hear in a low ponytail (problematic) and sleep on the back of my head. At one point... my sides were 1 inch longer than the middle due to breakage and improper care. I am currently growing and chopping... growing and chopping to even out the back w/o loosing the length.

Anyways... I just completed a new blend (kitchentician by nature... I think it started as a little girl with my easybake oven & fresh and fancy make-up set-thanks mom:lachen: ) I will follow up let you know how it goes.

Things that have helped... thus far... Elucence conditioner, coconut oil, Aphogee, olive oil+honey hot oil treatment, shea butter, Surge Plus 14, the baggie method and drinking more water.

New to the board... but hope to be of help..... Saucy Wow! :hula:

Thanks for the responses so far.
My hair looks nice from a far but I had really long hair all my life and since hitting my 20's it has just deteriorated.
I am going to do a moisturizing wash today with Motions and then use the Olive Oil replenishing pak then follow with the Olive Oil dry scalp lotion while wet, so it dries nice and soft, I have to air dry cos my blow dryer is shot and I want to invest in a hood dryer this month.

I dont know where to buy those oils. I have been looking for stores that sell those kinda things for sometime and I have had no luck.

Back