* Hair is itching SO badly - Natural * HELP!

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
Oh man, I don't understand it.

I am currently wearing braids of my own, but the middle of my scalp itches something AWFUL, I scratched so bad that I made my scalp bleed!!

I was going to get my hair braided in extensions tomorrow, but I can't deal with that right now.. I'm going to wash it tomorrow and re-do it with my own hair, but what about this awful itching? It's the pits :(

I get the itchies too, normally it's just the cry of a dirty scalp...so I try to do a thorough wash and then flat twist the braids to make them crimpy when they dry. If that doesn't work you could try cleansing your scalp with t-tree oil or astringent (like witch hazel or sea breeze) using a q-tip or cotton ball. I hope you find something that helps, the whole scalp bleeding thing doesn't sound good. :(

Thanks for replying. I'm going to get some witch hazel. The thing is, my scalp will itch the same day I wash it, or a day after, so I don't think it's dirt causing it.. I just don't know.. I'm going to give that witch hazel a try, something has GOT to ease this.

I hope the witch hazel helps! I also wanted to mention that itching is also a sign of an allergic reaction...so if it's something that's been happening recently and u just tried a new conditioner for the first time etc, it might be one of the ingredients affecting you badly.

Maybe you're having an allergic reaction to a product (hair or otherwise)?

Or it could be that there is product buildup just in your scalp's center, and the shampoo/conditioner is just adding to the problems? If I leave anything on my scalp too long at the nape area (even just conditioner), it itches a lot, gets sore and forms bumps.

Some people use aloe vera, apple cider vinegar, witch hazel, lavender EO to soothe the area (unless it's a chemical burn, which my aesthetician told me aloe vera makes chemical burns worse). What calms down my itchy scalp is clarifying first, then applying the above concoction twice daily and then putting a thick grease like "unpetroleum jelly" on top (it's like Vaseline but without the petroleum or mineral oil). It clears up my itches in a day or so with this process. Using cool/cold water instead of warm to rinse your hair and scalp may help too.

tropicexotic said:
I hope the witch hazel helps! I also wanted to mention that itching is also a sign of an allergic reaction...so if it's something that's been happening recently and u just tried a new conditioner for the first time etc, it might be one of the ingredients affecting you badly.

ITA! I had really bad itching twice before the first time-the shampoo was the issue (switched to one w/out sulfates) and the second time I mixed some conditoners together. It might just be your shampoo or conditioner you are using.

tropicexotic said:
I get the itchies too, normally it's just the cry of a dirty scalp...so I try to do a thorough wash and then flat twist the braids to make them crimpy when they dry. If that doesn't work you could try cleansing your scalp with t-tree oil or astringent (like witch hazel or sea breeze) using a q-tip or cotton ball. I hope you find something that helps, the whole scalp bleeding thing doesn't sound good. :(

ITA! This was my cure. An excessively itchy scalp and hair breakage led me to this board doing web searches looking for relief.

I first swabbed my scalp with witch hazel then followed with an Australian Tea Tree Oil I found at Walmart. I STEEEEEEE-ANK like a medicine cabinet, but didn't care too much. I just did this at night. Within a week, I had relief and now only get growth itchies.

I tried to maintain the stinky method daily, but it was too much after a while, so I just switched to doing this every few days in the evening and CW'd a few hours later to rid the smell. I just wanted to leave it on long enough to be effective. I didn't have to do this for long. Maybe a couple of months. I wanted to be safe just in case I had a relapse, which never happened.

there could be a lot of reasons for your itchies, from the serious to the not-so-serious. as someone mentioned, it could be an allergic reaction to something (a product you used, something you ate.) or it could be your hair crying out for something. i'd try something simple and gentle before you go to more drastic measures. (then again, if you have access to a doctor or dermatologist, you may want to see them to rule out something more severe.) i know my relative had eczema on her scalp.

BUT...in case its something less serious - let me offer up this help. i used to always be itchy. i could have just had it washed in a salon and it'd itch. what's helped me rid the itchies is doing conditioner washes!!! yes, it took about 3-4 weeks before i was totally used to it, but i barely ever (as in practically never) have an itchy scalp anymore!!!

also, i'd try a mild clarifying treatment. one of my favorites is adding some baking soda to your conditioner wash conditioner. i add about a teaspoon of baking soda to my VO5 (or suave) conditioner, then conditioner wash my hair. and follow that up with a deep conditioner.

another thing that's helped is taking 1,000mg of evening primrose oil each day. its great for dry skin, hair and scalp. but i'm cutting back on it a little since i have oily skin.
hth

I wash my hair when the itches come on and that helps. I hope you find something that helps you. I wish you well.

Thanks SO much ladies!! I will give everything recommended a try, one at a time obviously. Thanks a lot, there is a light at the end of this miserable tunnel.

Thanks again, I will let you know how I get on!

x

CharUK said:
Oh man, I don't understand it.

I am currently wearing braids of my own, but the middle of my scalp itches something AWFUL, I scratched so bad that I made my scalp bleed!!

I was going to get my hair braided in extensions tomorrow, but I can't deal with that right now.. I'm going to wash it tomorrow and re-do it with my own hair, but what about this awful itching? It's the pits :(

Have you noticed any pimples or scabs on your scalp? Are your lymph nodes swollen? More than likely this is not your issue but my scalp was very itchy right in the center and nothing I tried helped. I went to my physician and I was diagnosed with folliculitis (an infection in the hair follicules). After trial and error with different antibiotics and a trip to the dermatologist, I have no symptoms.

I guess if you don't see any results within a couple of weeks, your best bet would be to visit your physician or dermatologist. I learned the hard way and ended up losing about 1/4 of my hair and left with thin spots.

I agree with everything said so far, and I want to add that tingly ingredients like menthol and tea tree oil make my scalp itchy and irritated. They provide temporary relief, but in the long run they caused me problems.

I seem to get really itchy (with soreness) when I'm going through a growth phase. It can be enough to make me scratch in the middle of the night sometimes. I'm nearly a daily rinser so in my case its not about dirty hair. I've screened my products so much that I know they're not the cause either.

but it sure can drive a person crazy....

anyway I hope you find out what it is.

-A

Back