Hair Health makes me sick!!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter HoneyRockette
  • Start date Start date
H

HoneyRockette

I was in a health food store last week and I saw a product called Hair Health extra thick hair shake. It contains just about all of the vitamins in most hair vitamins, amino acids and brewer's yeast. Since I don't take any hair vitamins, I thought this would be a nice supplement, (plus it was chocolate /images/graemlins/wink.gif) I am at work now but when I get home I will post all of the nutritional information. Anyway I bought this stuff a week ago today and tried it as soon as I got home. I was running around all day that day so I think I had breakfast, plus that shake and nothing else. I felt sick that night. The next day I still felt sick so I skipped breakfast but I had my shake and a small lunch plus we went out to Sbarro's for dinner, (though I was too sick to finish my food). On Tuesday I could barely get out of bed. I had this sharp cramping pain in my side plus I was very nauseaous. Looking back , I honestly don't know what stopped me from going to the emergency room then. I spent most of Tuesday in bed, (with my laptop /images/graemlins/grin.gif) sipping on soup and nibbling on crackers. On Wednesday the pain had subsided a little but that night after I had my shake it worsened. I stayed up all night crying in pain. Thursday was just as bad plus I got the most excrutiating migraine. On Friday, I asked a friend of mine in the emergency room to take my temp and blood pressure and draw a little blood. I also ended up getting an X-ray and a sonogram. I was thinking something big like a tumor or some kind of an ulcer. I had (maybe) a piece of bread that day and gulped it down with my shake. That night I was throwing up so much that I was tasting bile!

To make an extremely long story short, I found out yesterday that it was the shake that was making me sick. I ruled out everything else. I didn't drink any of the shake yesterday and I feel fine now. I guess I am posting this as a warning just in case anyone runs across this brand of shake. I saved it at home in case my labs come back abnormal. I am definitely going to write a letter to the company. I also told the store that sells it that it made me sick. The shake is called Hair Health Extra Thick Hair Shake. It has a picture of a black woman with long shiny black hair on the container, (one of the main reasons I bought it). The label is purple and blue. I bought it in chocolate but it also comes in French Vanilla, Strawberry and Banana. Until I find out why I got sick they are all on the bad list. I will update you all when I get my lab results back.

Oh my goodness! Bless your heart. Guess what? I ordered some of the Ultra Hair Thick Shake on the internet, but they never came. But one day I saw some in the Health Food Store. I bought 3 packets. The first one--I didn't notice any problems. The 2nd one was on a Sunday morning and baby, let me tell you. I sat through that church service with my stomach just cramping. Now I'd assumed that it was because I had the shake on an empty stomach (though I mixed it with the milk and all) But it hurt really bad--I remember not hardly being able to walk without grunting or moaning. I have not used the 3rd one of course. That experience was enough for me. It sounds like we've used 2 different brands of the stuff, but both got "ill" results.

STicking with capsules for now...

I passed up Ultra Hair for this stuff because Hair Health has greater vitamin quantites. I should've stuck to vitamin tablets too. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

HoneyRockette, I'm so sorry to hear that this product (likely) made you ill!! You poor thing. Please keep us posted, get better soon, and DEFINITELY let the company know about your experience.

HoneyRockette! My God! I'm so happy you are feeling better. I'd be curious to know what the ingredients of that shake were.

Honey I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that just from taking a health shake. Let s kow how you get on with the company when you contact them and tell them about how their product made you ill.

I hope you feel better /images/graemlins/smile.gif

HoneyRockette,
Sorry to hair that you've been so ill. I myself have had some problems taking all my vitamins plus the shake. Basically when i take the hair vitamins, silica and biotin with any diary product i'm in deep sh*t that includes caffene as well /images/graemlins/confused.gif I've learn't to stick to plain water and trying to eat something before i take any vitamin tablets.

Honeyrockette, I'm so sorry you got sick. Thanks for the warning. I'll definitley stay away from this. Hope you feel back to normal real soon.

OKay (taking long breath) hree are all the ingredients of my hair shake, (so you will see why I wanted to buy it so bad).

Vitamin A - 110%
Vitamin C - 180%
Calcium - 50%
THiamine- 670%
Iron- 100%
Vitamin D- 80%
Riboflavin - 730%
Vitamin B6- 750%
Folic Acid- 100%
Vitamin B-12- 190%
Biotin- 690%
Vitamin B-5- 1020%
Phosporous- 40%
IOdine- 70%
Magnesium- 35%
Zinc- 110%
Selenium-140%
Copper-100%
Manganese-250%
Chronium-40%
Inositol-101.4mg
Cholie 126mg
DNA-2.21g
PABA- .792mg
Potassium 633mg
Alanin 1326mg
Arginine- 1047mg
Aspartic Acid 1350mg
Cystine- 213mg
Glutamic Acid 1800mg
Glycine-645mg
Histidine 357mg
Isoleucine 715mg
Lysine 880mg
Methionine 250mg
Phenylalanine 675mg
Proline 405mg
Serine 625mg
Threonine 960mg
Tryptophane 305mg
Tyrosine 915mg
Valine 912mg

WHOO! That took a while. I am off to work now. I will post the actual ingredients when I get back home tonight.

Wow that is a mighty list. 1050% of B5. I wonder what th actual mg content of the B5 was? There are so many ingredients in there it's hard to tell what made you sick.

Glad you're feeling better.

Good LAWD that's a lot of stuff! My only question is... what exactly is DNA? They don't mean the double-stranded variety do they? /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

These are large amounts of vitamins for someone to try and take all at once, especially if its taken on an empty stomach.
I learned very early that my stomach cannot handle any vitamins unless there is food there first, and even then, I have to make sure that I don't take all of my vitamins at once.
I try to break my vitamins up through the day so that I am only taking three pills at the most at one time.

HoneyR. OMG!! that is so much stuff they put in there! - geez - im so sorry u got sick girl. hope ull feel better real soon drink lots of fluid - water and natural juices to flush out ya system.

LOL /images/graemlins/grin.gif on another note i printed tha list and have a doc. appoint. tommorow @7pm and im gona ask what cause could be. will keep ya posted.

Terri

I am very sorry to hear how ill you were, but these vitamins are very funny. You have to make sure that you take them on a full stomach. I got sick myself also, try to take smaller amounts throughout the day, so that the vitamins are absorbed better and it is good that you are writing to the company about this. <font color="blue"> </font color>

Honeyrockette, I'm so sorry that happened to you. Thanks for warning us and I hope you feel better. Now that I think about it, I'm not supposed to take any dairy products within 2 hours of taking my prenatal vitamins. So, I'm wondering if that is, or should be, a general rule when taking extra concentrated vitamins or vitamin products?

Have you ever taken soy products before? If we are talking about the same product it may be the soy protein thats making you sick. Everybody can't handle soy. I get pretty sick from taking any soy product especially when it contains a large amount of soy protein. I had similar reactions with soy protein. There is a topic about soy and its side effects on one of the other boards do a search.

[ QUOTE ]
The shake is called Hair Health Extra Thick Hair Shake. It has a picture of a black woman with long shiny black hair on the container, (one of the main reasons I bought it). The label is purple and blue. I bought it in chocolate but it also comes in French Vanilla, Strawberry and Banana. Until I find out why I got sick they are all on the bad list. I will update you all when I get my lab results back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like it's a totally different brand. Lucky me!

Honey,
Sorry you had to experience that! Thank you for sharing. Maybe you should also alert the FDA of the problem. If they get enough complaints the shake could be recalled! And maybe it should!

HoneyRockett,
Sorry to hear about your traumatic experience. I'm glad you posted this though, because I've been looking on and off at the Healthy Hair Thick Shake product at Whole Foods. I think I'll just stick with my GoLean product after your message. Thanks for the information.
I truly hope you continue recovery.
High Priestess

Back