Hair growth???????????????????????????????????????

HotCoCoGurl130

I hope this makes sense so here I go. Does the back of your hair grow slower so the front of your hair can catch up and be even? I can see considerable growth in the front but slower growth in the back. Is this the reason?

Well, I kinda think there's something to this. I've had my hair on numerous occasions cut REALLY short on the front half and never cut in the back. Within a year to a year in a half - it will have all caught up again. Now, maybe my stylists were just trimming less off the front than the back so that it caught up...but I don't know...
Could also be that "phenomenon" where hair just tries to catch up on its own...I really just don't know but I think there's something to your theory!

Well for me, that use to be the case and I think it's because when we do our hair, we usually tend to give me attention to the front, top, and sides and not as much attention to the back. Well, I started doing my hair "back first" and now I have the same amount of growth all over.

Well, when I do my hair I always to my back first so I dont think thats the case with my hair. Hmmm, I still dont know what going on. Maybe thats just the way my hair grows.

Yeah my back hiar, is way shorter than the front, i am tryin gto grow that part, if my back hair was as long as my front hair, my hair would have been shoulder length, NO LIE!

I really don't know but my back hair is MUCH longer than my front hair and it always has been.

[ QUOTE ]
Nessa said:
You are lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nessa, I always thought women that had longer hair in the front were lucky. I didn't realize that most women have shorter hair in the back.

Mine is just the opposite. The back and sides grow much faster than the front and the crown. Also, I notice that my afro puffs are much fuller due to hair growth in the back. I can now gather more than a handfull of hair to make a ponytail, whereas just a few months ago, I had barely enough length to do so. So, I definitely think that my back is growing so much faster. I have a couple of strands in the back that reach well past my shoulder blades, but you couldn't tell due to shrinkage. One of these days, I plan to press my hair just for the heck of it and so I can actually see the growth progress...

hair stylists cut the hair incorrectly, instead of cuttin hair like nature intended then cut straight causing the shorter hair on the sides u have to never really experience the trim....they should cut in a U or V shape

I am the same way- my back grows faster but I noticed that the culprit was ponytails that were causing a dent in certain parts of my hair which led to breakage
ohwell.gif

hmmm, maybe that is the culprit. what do i do if that is the case? i use the no break bands for hair and i dont want to do braid outs b/c that is to much manipulation.

aww man!!!

yeah im like lovefronapps, my hair grows slower in the front and crown and grows like a weed in the back and sides...im tryin to catch up , it is from abusing my hair wih tiny braids for years....

i also have the same problem with the back and sometimes with the sides, until I went 5 months without a relaxer. It was a number of things: I usually slept on my sides and back without any protection at night, so my crown and front grew faster. Also, those parts of my head tend to be the ones that are overprocessed when perming, or people often don't rinse the side and back of the head as well after getting a perm.
Wearing a satin scarf at night, massaging the scalp in those areas and perming the back and sides last helped and now they're catching up.
I often thought people who's back grew fastest were luckier, you can let your hair loose and it won't look like their a "hump" in the back of your head.
frown.gif

Hey, Bobbie! You're on to something here. I think that what is happening with me is that the front and crown is also a different hair type than in the back. In the front, I have mostly wavy and even some straightness, but I think that's because my hair is much thinner in the front and the crown...well, not thinner, just more fine. The back is perhaps more of a 4a than the rest, which is a combination of 3b, 3c and SOME 4a. It's really weird, but I think that because the back is the stronger section, it grows more. I also noticed that by taking the MSM, the back is getting softer as well...

my back is shorter on pupose so when i pull my hair in a pony tail its perfectly even. But my back and my middle grow twie as fast and is thicker than the rest of my hair

[ QUOTE ]
HotCoCoGurl130 said:
hmmm, maybe that is the culprit. what do i do if that is the case? i use the no break bands for hair and i dont want to do braid outs b/c that is to much manipulation.

aww man!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know its so hard finding *exactly* what works and doesnt work for you. I thought I was doin something with my cute little bun - please I was breaking off my hair and that was about it !

But I realize that since my hair is in layers their was too much stress in the center of my head and that part was layered the shortest so it wasnt able to grow properly to catch up with the rest of my hair. That may not be your problem but since my hair was in layers I couldnt really have a "loose" bun/ponytail because the shorter part would stick out or fly away.

What I have done that works for me is I take a bananna clip and use it on my hair going *horizontally* and then clip the ends under with a bobby pin so it looks like a full bun it was really cute on me. But I have thick hair so if a persons hair is kind of thin or just normal density it may not look as full.

The key is to keep experimenting until you find what works and what doesnt ...but I feel your frustration!
look.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sky said:
[ QUOTE ]
HotCoCoGurl130 said:

aww man!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know its so hard finding *exactly* what works and doesnt work for you. I thought I was doin something with my cute little bun - please I was breaking off my hair and that was about it !

But I realize that since my hair is in layers their was too much stress in the center of my head and that part was layered the shortest so it wasnt able to grow properly to catch up with the rest of my hair. That may not be your problem but since my hair was in layers I couldnt really have a "loose" bun/ponytail because the shorter part would stick out or fly away.

What I have done that works for me is I take a bananna clip and use it on my hair going *horizontally* and then clip the ends under with a bobby pin so it looks like a full bun it was really cute on me. But I have thick hair so if a persons hair is kind of thin or just normal density it may not look as full.

The key is to keep experimenting until you find what works and what doesnt ...but I feel your frustration!
look.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sky
wave.gif
now what is a banana clip. I think I know what it is but I am not sure. Do you have pics or know of any. I am growing my layers out but I still have them so maybe that has something to do with it also.

this is very interesting. My hair seems to grow slower in the back also. Maybe its the ponytial, or just the way my hair grows. For the next few months I'll be wearing cornrows. Hopefully my hair in the back will catch up by February.

My hair grows the longest in the back and crown and is the shortest in the front and on the sides. My experiment is to go 6 mos between my perm. I'm at 3 mos now and have 3 more to go .... hope I can do it. My hair is becoming noticably thicker, which I like and I think I get more growth this way. I will have to wait for the front and sides to get to a length that is pleasing to me then cut the back little by little to get it even .. I think this will take a long long time because I had some bad experiences (brought on by myself - used a product I shouldn't have on that area). And since the front and sides broke off I will have to trim that area to get the bad hair off for while.

So far so good -- but I have not hair trimmed/cut since August 14 and do not plan to until I'm ready. My ends are looking great do to the bun challenge, but I believe I need to keep my sides and front moisturized so they will grow like the back and crown have due to being up in a bun and moist in those areas all day. Any suggestions on how to keep front and sides moist all day?

Back