hair growth

has anyone grown thier hair from really short imean like about 1/2 inch or inch to lets say shoulder length or longer and how long did it take 1year 2 years etc and products used and did u go natural or stay relaxed thanx for all input jb

janisloren said:
has anyone grown thier hair from really short imean like about 1/2 inch or inch to lets say shoulder length or longer and how long did it take 1year 2 years etc and products used and did u go natural or stay relaxed thanx for all input jb

There is a post on here somewhere a while back that someone used cayenne pepper and olive oil misture and applied it to her scalp. Her hair grew out within a year or so. The only thing I have problems with cayenne pepper is it may get in your eyes. And you know it will burn like a mutha. Do a search on it.

Honestly, I dont believe in miracle products. Just follow a good diet, drink lots of water, and use good quality products. Consistency is the key, I think:ohwell: And your hair will grow in no time

I started out in March of this year with hair that was about 1/2 long and I also had bald patches due to use of the incorrect relaxer (super) and incorrect application (total head) and no use of neutralizing shampoo. Needless to say, it was DAMAGED!!

Fastforward 6 months later and my hair is about chin lenght with the longest layer in the back reaching mid-neck. I'd say that I have somewhere between 4-5 inches of hair excluding my bangs which are about 3. So I'd say within another 6 months the longest layer will be atleast at my shoulder with rest reaching atleast mid-neck. Hopefully my bangs will reach atleast my top lip so I'll have more styling options. The bald patches are actually only around 2 inches long. I've cut on them b/c the previously relaxed hairs were really weak and nasty looking.

So for a person with fairly healthy hair...no bald patches or damaged scalp, i'd say to reach shoulder length will take 1 - 1.5 years. If braids and/or growth aids are implemented, it may cut the growth period down a bit. Good Luck!

I am one of those people!! :) You can check out my progress and regimen in my album. I am relaxed and stretch my relaxers every 10-12 weeks.

I'm glad you started this thread. I find it rather inspirational because that is where I am now. Just trying to reach shoulder length and I believe I may only have between 3-4 inchs of hair now so its going to be a journey. Of course, my temples and nape (1/2 to 1") are shortest but these are really starting to grow:p . My hair seems to be prospering since I've started paying it some attention but it seems like a long way to go. I just simply wash and condition every week. Make sure I keep up with my protein treatments. Keep moisture in and take my vitamins everyday. So far it has helped me retain the growth in the nape and temples which usually breaks as soon as it grows. It also helps that I started my regimen right after taking out some microbraids that made my hair in those areas grow a great deal.
BTW: Ambitious your hair is so pretty. Looking at your album gives me so much hope. It seems like your hair grew rather fast.

Last edited:
I BC in Nov of 05 to 1 inch all over.
Now I'm 1 inch below collarbone.
I'll try to post pic from Jan to June.
I can't show anything after June because of the hide your hair until x-mas.

Last edited:
Ambitious1013 said:
I am one of those people!! :) You can check out my progress and regimen in my album. I am relaxed and stretch my relaxers every 10-12 weeks.

Your hair has grown beautifully
I am curious to know during this yr of growth did you trim your hair at all. If so how often.

My coworker went from shaved bald in the back last summer to shoulder length now.(She already had shoulder length before the cut.She said it was too hot for all that hair,so she did a major cut last summer)...I never thought it could be done but she is living proof...I asked her regime: She washes & conditions her hair in BEER & presses every two weeks( she said she hasn`t permed in 20 years)..She takes a multivitamin,vitamin E,iron, & Veeda garlic/chloropyl (sp?)tablets every day...Her hair is 4a/b & when its freshly pressed is the thickest & healthiest of any I have ever seen.....I`m going to purchase those garlic/chloropyl(sp?) tablets. Since garlic is a form of sulfur I could understand why this could be a growth aid.....

Thank you MzSouthVa and Duanita27! :) My stylist trimmed my hair every other relaxer so I am guessing no more than three times within the year.

Ambitious1013 said:

I REALLY was about to mention you!:lol: I'm glad you posted, Ambitious1013 because I couldn't remember your name. I was just gonna say, the lady "with the red hair.":look:

had the low cut with shaved back. Took me a year to get to shoulderlength, another year to get to brastrap. Didn't do anything but wait it out. no protective styles. Just wore a scruffy looking hairstyle everyday..lol. Relaxed.

blueabyss333 said:
I REALLY was about to mention you!:lol: I'm glad you posted, Ambitious1013 because I couldn't remember your name. I was just gonna say, the lady "with the red hair.":look:
:lol: Thanks blueabyss333!!!! I appreciate you thinking about me.

thanx ambitious you r definitely an inspiration when i begin to get frustated i will think of your progress as inspiration now off to order some coconut oil jb

janisloren said:
thanx ambitious you r definitely an inspiration when i begin to get frustated i will think of your progress as inspiration now off to order some coconut oil jb
Thanks janisloren!! :) I hope you like the coconut oil. My hair loves it! Good luck, be patient, and happy hair growing!

April 2006 my hair was just below my ears/jaw.
I'm praying for shoulder by December 2006, I see it happening.
Ther is hope.;)

Back