Hair growth without a protective hair style?

browneyeshyne

Do you think it's possible to acheive some good growth using vitamins and products such as Surge without wearing hair in a style like braids? I've got big plans for this summer that required a lot of money and I don't think I could ask my mother to pay to get my hair braided after all of what she's done for me
crazy.gif

Aww that's real considerate of you.

But yup, I think it's possible but you'll probably really have to baby your hair. I know a lot of people who grew their hair out that doesn't even know about protective styles. But remember there's a lot of different ones to choose from (buns, braid out, french twist, etc) plus there's No Contact styles like updos. Protective Styles are styles that "hide" your ends.

[ QUOTE ]
Innocent_Kiss said:
I know a lot of people who grew their hair out that doesn't even know about protective styles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was one of those people before joining this forum. When I was in high school, my hair still grew past my shoulders and I always wore my hair down. I've never been brastrap length though so Im going to try and achieve it by doing the bun challenge.
smile.gif

Actually if you can find a good updo that you can do easily everyday, that'll be alot less work for you anyway.
Usually, I wear a loose updo in a butterfly clip with a fake pony-bun on top. (they sell them at dept. stores and they clip in and are short) This is actually easier for me than wearing it down. And if my natural/pressed hair "reverts" it still looks cute in this updo w/a little gel to smooth the edges.

Most of my friends are Caucasian and my black friends have gone home to NYC (they stay here in A-Better-Chance school program for the year) so no
frown.gif

I got to BS from shoulder length within a year without protective styles. I just happen to prefer protective styles.

I used to get a Dominican blow-out once a week and leave my hair down all week.

I've started to moisturize it more and lay off the heat and it's starting to look better (In fact, I have alot more hair than I thought!). How can I "baby" this seaweed?
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
browneyeshyne said:
I've started to moisturize it more and lay off the heat and it's starting to look better (In fact, I have alot more hair than I thought!). How can I "baby" this seaweed?
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
By doing what you're doing with the increased moisturizing, no or minimal heat, very little manipulation and most of all, loving your hair.
smile.gif

I grew my hair to bra strap length and wear my hair down 99% of the time. I think the key is moisture, diet and nutrition and vitamins definately! I've only started taking vitamins recently, (a multi vitamin, biotin and msm are good basics). When I'm home my hair stays tied or wrapped up. I use avocado oil, elasta qp mango butter or healthy ends on my ends every 2 days and I don't use heat except for on weekends when I sit under the dryer and then only on my roots to straighten them out. Also I always deep condition and I trim my ends twice a year. I think it's also important to look at the personality of your hair and what it prefers in terms of protetive style or not, what's good for one person may not work for another so you should test out both techniques. Good luck reaching your hair goal!

I wear my hair down 90 percent of the time. I agree with HealthyHair: it's all about moisture and nutrition.

yes you can...this is coming from a person who used to press once a week and never moisturized...but stayed stuck at shoulderbaldes before i decided to start relaxing and using no heat.

if your hair is going to grow, it's going to grow whether it is in a protective style or not. Protective styling helps to preserve the ends better and keep them moisturized which will most likely result in less trimming of the ends, so you will be able to retain more of your growth....
smile.gif

Back