Hair growth with different textures

Eluv

Does your 3c hair grow at a faster rate than your 4a/b?

I'm sorry I do not truly know my hair texture.

My bang and a very small section above my left ear have a looser curl pattern than the rest of my 4a/b hair.

My bang is 3-4" longer than the rest of my hair. Based on the length of my bang I should all ready be APL.

I will pull out the camera tonight so I can show you guys with the measuring tape how different my lengths are. This is very annoying.

Yep! :yep: Not sure what texture my nape is but it has more of a wave pattern vs. a curl pattern. This area always grows faster than the rest of my hair.

Yea, the very front of my hair is the 4 hair and the rest is 3ish and it grows faster than the front.

Yah, the back of my head grows faster than the rest of my head. I did a test on it. I cut 1/4 of an inch. in the back of my head about 5 months ago... it has grown 5 inches since. It was 3 inches more than the test patch I did in the front of my head.

Last edited:
mabey it could be that the 4a/b hair is more fragile than the 3c and the 3c is a little easier to retain length than the 4a/b

My hair is a mixture of 4a/b all way around and certain sections just grow faster than others. Not sure why that is, but it is what it is.

Here are the pics I took today to show you guys. I think a 2-3" difference is crazy. Oh well not much I can do about that other than cut my bangs. Which isn't going to happen because I wear my bangs in a twist out 90% of the time with the rest of my hair in a french braid, french roll, or a loose bun. That's why I'm a little puzzled as to why my bangs are growing faster than the rest when its the part not in a protective style throughout the day.:wallbash:

MT/OCT will be in my possession next week. Wish me luck. :grin:

030.jpg

044.jpg

055.jpg

I don't think texture has anything to do with it. The sides of my hair grow faster than any other part of my head and my hair texture is the same type 4 hair all the way around.

Here are the pics I took today to show you guys. I think a 2-3" difference is crazy. Oh well not much I can do about that other than cut my bangs. Which isn't going to happen because I wear my bangs in a twist out 90% of the time with the rest of my hair in a french braid, french roll, or a loose bun. That's why I'm a little puzzled as to why my bangs are growing faster than the rest when its the part not in a protective style throughout the day.:wallbash:

MT/OCT will be in my possession next week. Wish me luck. :grin:

View attachment 36293

View attachment 36295

View attachment 36307

Seems to me that texture isn't your problem but apparently your hair doesn't like french braids. Braids can actually cause hair loss if they are too tight or if they are stressing/pulling the hair. Not saying that yours are but it's worth considering since there is such a dramatic difference between the front of your hair which is worn in one style and the back of your hair which is worn in a totally different style.

Last edited:
Seems to me that texture isn't your problem but apparently your hair doesn't like french braids. Braids can actually cause hair loss if they are too tight or if they are stressing/pulling the hair. Not saying that yours are but it's worth considering since there is such a dramatic difference between the front of your hair which is worn in one style and the back of your hair which is worn in a totally different style.

That makes sense and that was my first thought until I measured the small area around my ear that's the same texture as the front which is also included in those buns and french braids.

I'm not sure what to do differently. I wore cornrows under a full wig my first two years of being natural. Just this year I decided to embrace and learn more about wearing my natural hair in public.

Oh well, it will just take me longer to reach APL.

Nope. My 3c grows just like my 4a, they just shrink up differently. That was a real problem right after I BC'd :lachen:

I will say that my bangs have not grown out with the rest of my hair, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with how I pull my hair back when I wear WNGs and not so much that that section of hair is rebellious. It's the loosest textured part, by the way.

Back