Hair growth and wigs?

mytia

SuperWoman!
I've being reading the threads on wigs and instant weaves and I have considered these things for protective styles also. What I would like to know from the women that wear wigs on the board is, are you getting good growth progress wearing them and have any of you ever experienced any breakage wearing them?

i have had lots of growth and no breakage. i put my hair in cornrows and do not make the adjustable cap too tight on my head

msportugal said:
i have had lots of growth and no breakage. i put my hair in cornrows and do not make the adjustable cap too tight on my head

Do you mean the full wig or instant weave when you say adjustable cap?

I've worn wigs a few days this year on days with harsh winter weather and for a few career related events. I'm still experienceing a lot of growth and retaining length. I would caution against wearing them all of the time, however. Wearing them constantly can contribute to traction alopecia and making the hairline recede.

I see wigs as a protective style too! If I felt comfortable enough to wear a wig, I would wear one all the time to grow my hair out. My aunt who transitioned to natural grew her hair out in 2 years with wearing wigs and braids; now, her natural hair is brastrap after she presses it.

For The Past Month I Have Been Wearing Wigs While I Rest From A Perm Until The Spring. I Have Experienced No Breakage, I Just Make Sure That I Fully Moisturize My Hair. I Also Wear A Wig Cap Under Neath My Wig And Just Go. I Love It Because I Can Experiment With Various Colors And Styles.

mytialpn said:
Do you mean the full wig or instant weave when you say adjustable cap?
full wigs i push them back a lil so you can see my hairline sometimes otherwise i dont show any of my hair usually do this when i have on a curly wig like the blonde/black one in my album
i make the adjustable hooks really loose

I am helping my mother grow her hair out using wigs as a protective style. In April 2004, she had her hair cut into an extremely short style (to start all over w. healthy hair) w. the back and sides shaven. Today her hair is on her shoulders, so yeah, I'd recommend it. :yep:

Back