Hair Frustration - Dry

madamdot

I am so frustrated with my hair right now. I know I shouldnt be because it really is growing nicely but it is just so dry all the time. I have to keep it constantly moisturized or it will definitely start breaking.

I cowash and deep condition but because it is so dry I have to do a lot of moisturizing which leaves build-up so I wash a couple times a week with a moisturizing shampoo.

I am thinking about just cowashing straight for 2 weeks or so and see what happens.

I have fine 4a/b hair but I have A LOT of it. I mean tons! Which is good. I like that. But it hates oil on it when its wet so EVOO etc unless mixed with a conditioner is a big no-no. Otherwise it just sucks up the the thin cream moisturizers or leave ins like NTM silk cream.
For more of an impact I use the ORS moisturizer but that is too thick so I have to add a bit of water... which is turn makes it frizzy and the cycle goes on.

Any suggestions?

Please help.

Seems to me that if doing extra moisturizing leads to having to use harsher washing methods, it's not really doing much good at all. I used to use a lot of oils and butter for moisturizing, but then had to clarify and use harsh shampoo more often so in the end I probably wasn't doing my hair much good at all, you know?

I CO wash daily, because getting my hair wet a lot keeps it more moisturized. I hope you find something that works for you :)

I'M RELAXED 4A AND I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH BREAKAGE AND DRYNESS, EVEN THOUGH I WASH/DEEP CON/AND SET WITH NO EXTRA HEAT. I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL THING'S TO COMBAT THOSE PROBLEMS, AND NOW I CAN HAPPILY SAY I HAVE FOUND WHAT TRULY WORK'S, AND HAS PRACTICALLY STOPPED THOSE TWO ISSUES.

1) WILD GROWTH OIL(AMAZING:D STUFF)

2) KERACARE HEADRESS

I APPLY WGO AFTER MY LEAVE IN (GIOVANNI DIRECT) ON MY END'S AND SCALP, AND A FEW DROP'S THROUGHOUT HAIR. THEN AFTER I ROLLERSET, I MIX KERACARE AND A LITTLE WGO FOR MY MOISTURIZER AFTER MY HAIR DRIES , THEN EVERY OTHER DAY IF NEEDED.

A good moisturizing conditoner is mixing 2 packs of Roux Porosity Control Extreme Moisturizing Treatment and 2 ORS Replenish Packs. Cover with a plastic cap and sit under the dryer for 10 min and leave on w/o the dryer for another 10-15 min.

This is a powerful mix and can make you hair too soft it you are not having a dryness problem. But, if dryness is the issue this mix it the RX.

I agree about the WGO, as well. I had to stop using it because it seemed to go against the results I wanted when I blowdry and flatiron, but it is really some good stuff.

I used to battle dryness, but now it is NEVER a problem. I don't even use much product in my hair on a daily basis like I used to.

Thanks for the suggestion ladies. WGO helps but my hair is really sensitive to oils. It hates it is when it is wet and weighs it down when its dry. I basically want to have moisturized hair that is not limp and sticky. I would love to wear my hair out and have it be moisturized as well. It seems I cant have both. If I wear my hair out I go to whatever event and come home and get some moisture in it and my hair just seems to suck it all up.

I use phyto-relaxer (although with the dryness problem I am thinking lye might work better and will discuss it with my stylist).
I alternate between use Nexxus Therapee and Humectress and NTM cream lather shampoo and Daily Deep conditioner/Mask.

I wash about twice a week or so. Never usually more and I cowash every other day - mainly because it takes my hair so long to dry.

I will try to posterity control products

Where I can I find Roux Porosity Control Extreme Moisturizing Treatment and ORS Replenish Packs? I am not familiar with these products. What does ORS stand for by the way? - newbie here....

I have extra dry hair also. I know how u feel...it's frustrating to hear people rave about these products and then when u try it, your hair is still dry. I used to have to weigh my hair down with oils to get it to be moisturized. but now i found that using nexxus hummectress mixed with a dab of wgo and a few dabs of water to make it somewhat runny..... this is the best leave-in i have found. leaves my hair well moisturized and shiny.

ORS=Organic Root Stimulater, these products can be found at most BSS, and Sally's.

Lusa said:
Where I can I find Roux Porosity Control Extreme Moisturizing Treatment and ORS Replenish Packs? I am not familiar with these products. What does ORS stand for by the way? - newbie here....

Lusa said:

The Roux Porosity Control Extreme Moisturizing Treatment can be hard to find (at least in my area it is) so if you find them, grab a few.

I have also seen ORS at CVS. It is a few cents cheaper, there, too.

I think moisturizing daily can make a huge difference in the health of your hair. What works for me is applying an ample amount of "the conditioner" (paul mitchel) to my hair right before I go to bed and tuck under a satin bonnet. This is a daily conditioner, in the morning my hair is soft and supple and I'll also add wgo which makes it even softer! hth

You could also try Mizani Hydrafuse mixed with your regular conditioner. This works for me when my hair get extra dry. I second the porosity control conditioner also.

Hi,

This may sound counter-intuitive, but try a clarifying shampoo once a month. it will get rid of the buildup & allow the conditioner to penetrate.
I rotate a clarifier once per month, but my regimine is differnet than yours. [I shampoo twice a week (with Elucence Moisturizing shampoo) and condition with Elucence (I leave a little in). I deep cond once a week with Keracare. I oil my ends faithfully 2x a day (I work in an extremely hot, dry office, so it's a must.) I also use Cantu sheabutter leave in moisturinzing cond. on my ends only before setting each roller prior to drying.]
I really don't have a problem with dryness. But I strongly suggest the clarifying shampoo followed by a deep cond. treatment.

Good luck!

Back