Hair Extensions: Beauty Trend or Dangerous Beauty?

Hey myfriend.

I have a negative view on fake hair at the moment. I dont think women should wear it unless they absolutely have to.

I think so many people slap things on their head without ever bothering to become educated or even read instructions. It's sad. I feel for kids (high school) that get caught in it but I don't pity women who solve a problem (thin hair) with more of the same problem.

I think people see celebs do stuff, rush to copy and end up hurting, sorry or looking a fool.

It's one reason I'll be damned if I let those $10 salons put individual semi-permanent lashes on me.

I've worn extensions for almost two years now and my hair is just fine. Its all about application, after care, and realistic expectations. Some people get weaves outrageously tight so that it can "last longer.". Or they don't wash it cuz they don't know how to do it themselves or don't have the money to go to a salon. Also, glueing down cheap hair will ruin ur own and applying 30lbs of hair to ur edges and brushing the bejesus out of it so that it can lay flat. All big no no"s. If its insalled right I think most ppl shouldn't have a problem. Just like everything else, short cuts, cheapness, and not monitering ur individual hair needs will get u in trouble.

It's clear in that article that the first two women didn't do the right thing when it came to wearing their extensions. So, I don't think extensions should be blamed for that. One of them wore clip ons for 3 months and wore them too heavy. Of course that's going to cause stress and breakage. The other girl wore glued in extension and then went to a different type to cover up the damage.

The real problem here is improper knowledge on how to choose, install, and maintain extensions.

I agree with the article and with this quote from Jennifer Anniston:

"Nothing destroys your hair faster than hair extensions," Jennifer Aniston, whose own shag-style cut in the '90s sparked a worldwide hair craze, told Harper's Bazaar magazine in a 2006 interview. "I decided to have a couple of extensions, never knowing you end up with 400 things in your hair that cause your hair to break off."

Whether it's sew-ins, glue-ins, stand for strand, micros, whatever - you have to be very careful and they shouldn't be done continuously and long term. You think of hair loss as something gradual and assume you'll be able to step in and prevent it. I ripped out my own hairline because of not knowing to cut the elastic rim off of a net weave cap. I only wore the weave for 3 weeks and hairline was depleted. I say be careful and don't think you know it all coz you watched someone doing on youtube who made it look easy.

That's why lace front wigs are the.way to go, you can wash your hair daily and still have a nice protective style
So true. I love my lfs and flws just b/c of that. Sew-ins can be a hit or miss if not done and not taken care of properly. Glue-ins are a big no-no in my book and I could see how clips can be dangerous to the hair too. Ladies sometims only care about a style more than their real hair causing them to start relying more on the extensions. Learning healthy hair practices will help their hair w/ or w/o wigs, weaves, braids.

I am so over extensions because its not for me. You need a lot of patients to properly take care of extensions, which I do not have. I have lost a lot hair over the years to weaves and micros only because I was to lazy to take them out properly or to cheap to pay someone lol (this is why it does not work for me). Also like mention before, proper application is vital. Oh gosh, I am starting to have flashbacks. I remember my micros breaking off at the new growth (i was bald in the front afterwards) and a weave so tight I had to pop percocets to deal with the pain (i had a rx at the time). The last sew in I had was not properly installed and I had to cut it out. Needless to say I have a TWA now. LOL I would NEVER do micros again, as of right now I am done with sew-ins because of my past experiences. If I do decide to get one, i am now willing to pay the big bucks for a proper installation. On a positive note, this is why I LOVE lf wigs,half wigs, and full wigs. I can apply them to my head that's comfortable to me.

So true. I love my lfs and flws just b/c of that. Sew-ins can be a hit or miss if not done and not taken care of properly. Glue-ins are a big no-no in my book and I could see how clips can be dangerous to the hair too. Ladies sometims only care about a style more than their real hair causing them to start relying more on the extensions. Learning healthy hair practices will help their hair w/ or w/o wigs, weaves, braids.

I agree, I only cared about the style and not the overall health of my hair. I remember doing quick weaves and applying glue directly to my hair. I would always rip the glued tracks out my head and reapply another quick weave. I knew this wasn't right and never set well with me. Whats the point of having a fly weave and being bald underneath. I am so happy to have found this site, because I was headed for straight destruction :lachen:

It's clear in that article that the first two women didn't do the right thing when it came to wearing their extensions. So, I don't think extensions should be blamed for that. One of them wore clip ons for 3 months and wore them too heavy. Of course that's going to cause stress and breakage. The other girl wore glued in extension and then went to a different type to cover up the damage.

The real problem here is improper knowledge on how to choose, install, and maintain extensions.

This is what it all boils down too.

I at one point when I first got to college was letting any and everyone do my extensions (This was a lot easier for me with everything join on at that time). My hair definitely paid for it. Once I found a stylist who knew about how to properly install (and I then knew how to properly take care), my hair THRIVED in weaves. I'm wearing a closure currently with this install and I can't wait to take it down. it's like christmas, I always get to see how much my hair has improved.

I don't understand why people have a problem with "extensions" , I do understand you not preferring them for yourself, but why do you care what someone else does to their own hair? Doing the most.

The media loves to scare people. They could have talked about how to prevent problems from extensions, how to install them, how to care for your hair and scalp etc. Instead they just focused on bald spots, "freaking out", traction alopecia etc. They decided to instill fear in their viewers/readers instead of giving additional info that would have been helpful.

How interesting...my fam and I where just having a talk about this. How black women aren't the only ones wearing extensions.

Then my brother's asian girlfriend said: 'I don't get why nonblack women wear them, they can grow their hair' after that I gave her a hard stare and explained how we can grow our hair.

Then she said, 'Well you have long hair...' Like that made up for what she said, noooot lol!

When I read this article the Kardashians came to my mind. Whenever they wear their real hair their sides always look so thin.

............Whats the point of having a fly weave and being bald underneath.
:lol::lol::lol:

I can't judge anyone for wearing extensions, but I also think they should only be worn by those with extreme hair loss conditions/disease, or in a growing-out/winterizing/protective mode. Any long-term synthetic hair is just plain lazy in my book. Why do we spend so much money on fake hair and are happy to neglect our own God-given hair?:perplexed

Back