Hair Dry after a relaxer. What could have happend? Need serious help!

StarScream35

This weekend I decided to relax my hair with Silk Elements lye relaxer. The application process was really smooth and there was no scalp burning at all. Things went downhill after I washed it out. As I was washing it out I noticed my hair felt DRY. I put some Apoghee 2 min reconstructor in it for 2min and that softened it up. I proceeded to Neutralize using Silk Elements Neut Sham. and it got hard again! Then I used SE conditioner and left it on for 45 minutes and it felt okay but when I rinsed it out, it seemed like NONE of the conditioner absorbed into my hair. It was like it all washed out and my hair was hard yet again. My hair literally feels like a brillo pad and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

I don't know. Relaxer does that some times. I have only ever straightened my hair with no-lye (lye leaves me underprocessed) and my hair is often like straw after. What I do to combat it is protective style something that keeps most of my hair in contact with the sebum from my scalp and then moisturise it daily with a spray. Weaves and wigs are good for this. The only issue is that you relax your hair and can't enjoy the straightness.

Yes. I have a few suggestions and I'm sure others will add their thoughts.

I use Mizani Lye relaxer.

The neutralizing shampoo strips everything out of the hair. If the hair is stripped it can feel brittle and dry even when it's wet.

To combat this, use a deep penetrating moisturizing conditioner treatment under a hooded dryer or heat cap for at least 1 hour. I would do this twice a week, just to get the hair back into shape.

No direct heat until you know that your hair isn't going to snap off. I would also consider how long you left the relaxer on...did you change brands...what did you use to base your scalp and how long ago was it between your last relaxer and now?

Use moisturizing products and seal the moisture in. Always, always, always deep condition (with heat) after any chemical treatment. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I remember Tracy from KISS said she found their nuet shampoo stripping. I have the green one and I do find it more drying than the one that comes in my kit so I only use when I have no other choice.

I say try adding honey and evoo to your dc. That always does me right.

Brighteyes35 I am going to suggest going to Sally's and getting the Roux Porosity control Shampoo and Conditioner. The shampoo does not strip as it restores your hair to the proper PH-- and feels great! The conditioner looks like a wimp... but, put it on... and leave it for about 15 minutes or so and I think that may help (restoring your hair to the proper PH).

I personally did not care for the Silk Elements relaxer when I tried it.

Back