Hair done by a white haridresser?

Hey, I go to a white salon, there are no black salons in my area. my usual stylist is really good and relaxes my hair really well and it looks and feels great.
at the same place a black girl came to work she left relaxer on my hair waaaay tooo looong and applied relaxer to already relaxed areas. heance my falling out and damaged hair...but it was dead straight. i dont get her to do my hair anymore i get the white girl to do it and shes really good and quite young as well.

Uzz

I think that we as Black women need to break out of old-school thinking re: hair care. Additionally, I have watched Caucasian stylists at work on many occasions, and they are very talented with respect to cutting, styling and coloring. Last, I believe that they take their craft more seriously, for the most part, than do Black stylists, and treat clients with greater respect and professionalism.

Having said the aforementioned, in order for anyone to apply a relaxer to my hair, Black or Caucasian, he/she needs to have the technical expertise, as well as to understand the basics re: the care and maintenance of chemically--processed hair.

I think that if more Caucasian stylists gain greater proficiency with Black hair, it would put many Black stylists on notice.

northernbelle

Re: Hair done by a white hair dresser?

My hairdresser is white. I wouldn't think about going anywhere else. She's just expensive *pout*

I have had an okay experience at a white salon I got my hair cut to about my chin there and got a roller set. What I don't like is that most white stylists want to cut your hair wet and there is just no way with my hair type that a wet cut is going to lay right my roots will get puffy and the line will not be the same once my hair is dry.
nono.gif
They did pretty good, but don't assume just because most of the people who've posted have had good experiences that they all are.
If you go to a professional cosmetology site and read their message boards there are a lot of white stylists that are clueless about our hair. And anytime I watch a make over show with white stylists and black participants I think that they do a horrible job. They use a lot of heat, blow dryers w/ round brush to dry then the flatiron
nono.gif
because they're trying to aproximate straight hair on black hair that they're not used to working with. Also, some white stylists will tell you point blank I don't do black hair (or can't).

In my home town, the man who styles my hair is white. When I compare his service to the black woman who stood in for him one time (the ONLY time I let her touch my hair), there was a huge difference.

He was very gentle with my hair, careful not to overlap, and trimmed very lightly. He also suggested a roller set, to avoid putting so much heat on my hair.

I appreciated his professionalism, and his knowledge, and I don't think his race had any negative effect on his service.

I've had a white stylist style my hair before and even trim or cut and everything turned out great. I never let a white stylist do a chemical process. But that's not a color thing, I don't trust anyone near my hair with chemicals except your truly.

I've only had my ends trimmed by them. they do a much better job than the black ones. they don't cut as much.

I guess I'm the lone dissenter here. While I agree that you can't necessarily judge a hair stylist by their race, my only experience with a white hair stylist was horrendous.

On my eleventh birthday my mom took the day off work and got me out of school early so we could have a special mom/daughter beauty bonding day. We went out to eat, we went shopping and we went to get our "hair did". We went to a beauty school - my mom ended up with a black hair stylist, I ended up with a white one. My mom's hair came out beautifully - she got a relaxer and a cut. Mine did not. I remember sitting in the chair feeling like my hair was on fire a long time - and being 11 I was too meek to speak up. When she finally washed out the relaxer I could feel my hair sticking to my head. I could tell the lady was almost in tears, but she went ahead and styled my hair. For the next few days I cried in pain as my mom picked huge scabs out of my head and tried to salvage my hair. My mom felt so guilty she wouldn't allow me to get a relaxer again for nearly a year (after I begged and pleaded for one. Crazy)

So yeah, my experience sucked. But I'm glad you all had good ones. I'm still apprehensive about caucasian stylist though, especially since I'm transitioning now.

I had a white stylist once at the JC Penney salon. She did a great job relaxing my hair. I would've gone to her again, but she moved out of the state.

I had my hair relaxed, styled and trimmed by a Caucasian once. She did a fantastic job. She was also the first (and only) hairdresser to tell me that hair needs to be handled carefully and gently, "like old lace" (her words).

HotCocoGurl,

You are asking about the strand-by-strand method that the white stylists do. I don't know what kind they do but if it was anything like Great Lengths, well, I have one word for you -"DON'T"!!!!

I did this a year a little over a year ago. (November, last year) White stylists did it and they didn't have a clue. They didn't want to take it out. They said, "just replace the ones that fall out". My hairs was in knots and breaking off. Black stylist would not touch it, and the white stylists did not know how to do a relaxer and after 3 months I was in bad need of one. So they finally agreed to take it out. I made appointments and they kept breaking them. When I finally got them to take them out, a great deal of my hair came out along with them. It was horrible.

I'm not saying all White stylists will be bad. Far from it, each stylist is different and it depends on the individual (not their complexion) but I don't think you really want to use any kind of bonding to your hair.

Just my opinion from my experience.

[ QUOTE ]
diamondlady said:
HotCocoGurl,

You are asking about the strand-by-strand method that the white stylists do. I don't know what kind they do but if it was anything like Great Lengths, well, I have one word for you -"DON'T"!!!!

I did this a year a little over a year ago. (November, last year) White stylists did it and they didn't have a clue. They didn't want to take it out. They said, "just replace the ones that fall out". My hairs was in knots and breaking off. Black stylist would not touch it, and the white stylists did not know how to do a relaxer and after 3 months I was in bad need of one. So they finally agreed to take it out. I made appointments and they kept breaking them. When I finally got them to take them out, a great deal of my hair came out along with them. It was horrible.

I'm not saying all White stylists will be bad. Far from it, each stylist is different and it depends on the individual (not their complexion) but I don't think you really want to use any kind of bonding to your hair.

Just my opinion from my experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

The methos I am talking about uses no glue. I can not remember off the top of my head exact;y how it is done but it is like a very small clip. Another member has had it dont and she loves it.

The only reason why I posted this question was because I live in an area where the norm are black hair salons. I dont like salons period because I always come out of that place unhappy. But I was just tyring to say that I think I would really feel uncomfortable going to a white hairdresser unless I know their history. And yes I do know the history with the latest black stylist that I go to. But there are soo many black stylist our there that do not have a clue about black hair care and this is very sad. I forgot who it was but maybe a whte stylist would be more non judgmental about long thick healthy hair and not so quick to "trim" it off. i dont know , I'm just thing out loud.

I wouldn't care if the person was blue, as long as they know what they are talking about and what they are doing. Make sure you question them before you even sit in the chair. Have you done this before? Have you done this on my hair type before. Dont assume just because they're black that they've done it on black hair. Be careful and good luck!!

Yeah. If I was getting my hair done at the beauty school I would question them thoroughly about how it is done. But from my observations the white ones are faster about rinsing due to burning than the black ones are. The black students tell the client that it is supposed to burn.

One of the times my hair came out best was when I went to a white hairdresser. My aunt and grandmother went there and when I visited one summer they took me to get my hair done. I would keep going to her if I lived up there.

I would not mind if a caucasian person did my hair as long as they respected my hair care system - that's all I ask. I can't find ANYONE at this time that I can trust with my hair.

I went to a white hairdresser some years ago for highlights. The color came out absolutely gorgeous, but he totally didn't have a clue on how to style my hair!!
nono.gif
He just blowdried it and left it; no curl or anything!!
shocked.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Hairlove,
That was the same experience I had when a white stylist relaxed my hair a few times. She was extra careful not to overlap- maybe because she wasn't as familiar with our hair. She did a great job and now that I think about it, I had very little breakage when I went there...
ohwell.gif

Maybe fear makes them be careful. I know that most black stylists don't think that they will be sued if the clients hair is damaged but white people take that into consideration.

I was thinking the same thing. I also think we are inherently more skeptical of going to white hairdressers, so we'll probably pay closer attention to anything they do. I also think that some of them are probably a little intimidated doing our hair because they might not do it often, and they know how seriously we take hair as a culture, so they have to be extra careful. I think a lot of bad black stylist take it for granted that we don't have any other options but to keep coming to them, and the way they do hair is how it's always been done.

I used to ALWAYS go to Supercuts for my trims or Toni and Guy. Why??? Because you walk in, you say 1/4 inches off all around, and they do it. End of story, point blank. They don't start telling you that your ends are a mess (when they aren't) you simply get exactly what you pay for! They do what YOU want, period. It really is a differnt experience. Also at Toni and Guy (Collin Creek Mall for you Dallasites) they did AWESOME highlights on my hair about a year ago and on my best friends hair and they are awesome!!! I went to the Toni & Guy Beauty School to be a Relaxer model for them and this white girl did the best relaxer ever - she took like 45 minutes to carefully base my relaxer. She was so gentle with my hair!!! She even carefully combed it from the ends up, etc. with a wide tooth comb. She didn't get an ounce of relaxer on any previously relaxed hair, she was in short awesome, and only $15 since I was modeling. The only thing was the type of relaxer it was. It was Arosci and it's a "universal" relaxer so white people use it too, she said she relaxes her Mom's hair with it. But it just wasn't strong enough for my 4A hair and I ended up having to get it relaxed again 4 weeks later at a $70 Black salon with a "Professional" who didn't even begin to base my scalp, was going to comb through my just relaxed, rinsed out hair with a fine tooth comb and wasn't even combing up from the ends, (Don't worry.......I stopped him!!! I DON'T play that!!) but just because his chemical was stronger (a mild, but made for our hair) his relaxing turned out great, whereas hers was just not straight enough, more like texturized adn that's why I didn't go back because they had to use those Arosci products. So in short, race doesn't matter, skill and how much care and work you put into having a successful end result and happy customer is what matters the most!!! Heck, I don't care if somebody is a little green alien from Mars if they do my hair correctly and properly and could keep it healthy! I'd give them good tips and tons of referalls.

Back