Hair damage is irreversible ...

I have not relaxed my hair since sept of last year but i had some damage from them prior to that and lately this summer have not been using heat to hope to stop ends from breaking,, well it hasnt. My overprocessed ends are still suffering from trichorhexxis nodosa( breakage along the shaft, hair has a sharp bend and u can just pull it off) There is no protein treatment or oil or conditioner that is going to save those ends(ive tried it all),, they will eventually even months or years break off from severe cuticle erosion. I think its nearly impossible to prevent overprocessing which contributes to cuticle deterioration and thats why i shouldnt have been realxing as often as i was. I am now transitioning back to my curly hair and am very happy except for the parts that still have perm in them and are weak, brittle and cracking off. How do u guys who relax truly prevent double perming???

Lovelylocs said:
You've tried Aphogee? How about a rinse?

yeah...try that! my ends are beyond damaged, but since ive been using aphogee, the damgae is going away and my ends arent breaking off as much. i use the aphogee shampoo, then the treatment that hardens with heat. i dont use the aphogee moisture balance because that took my hair out.

Hey I had that too. My hair is texturized and I feared losing ALL of the previously texturized hair, but it stopped. Now my hair has great elasticity and rarely breaks, but the original texturized hair is still here. I actually only lost about 2- 2.5 inches. I'm not sure if it was just going to stop on its own or if it was the products. Personal I agree with you. Hair damage is irreversible. I must have just cut off the worse parts. :confused: But mine wasn't from overlapping. I had virgin hair. Mine was from rough handling.

Last edited:
Ravenhairbellydancer said:
I have not relaxed my hair since sept of last year but i had some damage from them prior to that and lately this summer have not been using heat to hope to stop ends from breaking,, well it hasnt. My overprocessed ends are still suffering from trichorhexxis nodosa( breakage along the shaft, hair has a sharp bend and u can just pull it off) There is no protein treatment or oil or conditioner that is going to save those ends(ive tried it all),, they will eventually even months or years break off from severe cuticle erosion. I think its nearly impossible to prevent overprocessing which contributes to cuticle deterioration and thats why i shouldnt have been realxing as often as i was. I am now transitioning back to my curly hair and am very happy except for the parts that still have perm in them and are weak, brittle and cracking off. How do u guys who relax truly prevent double perming???

I agree that certain damage is irreversible. I don't think possible to really prevent overlapping during touchups, but there are things to do that can mitigate and minimized damage.

1. stretching: I used to relax every 6 weeks when I barely could see my new growth and and I now relax every 12 weeks when I have a good couple of inches or more new growth and this definitely has helped to minimize damage as my hair is stronger and longer with waaay less breakage since I started stretching 3 years ago.

2. coat previously relaxed hair before touching up: I use affirm lye mild and pretreat hiar with Protecto cream immediately before relaxing but IMO, any condish can be applied to the relaxed portion of hair to act as a "barrier" before touchups.

Ravenhairbellydancer said:
Wow, i didnt know this had a name.

My theory is that you can overlap most peoples hair at least once, or else no-one with relaxed hair could ever achieve more than a few inches of length. I stretch, I coat pre-relaxed hair with cholesterol conditioner before a relaxing session, but I'm sure there must be a millimeter of hair here and there, maybe even all over, that is overlapped.
I haven't had any problems with my stretch/coat system.

You should try this, it worked for me, Hopefully this treatment will help while I slowly cut the damage off my regular trims, but it temporarily mended the cracks and splits. Its called Roux Mendex Hair Repair Treatment . I got it at Sallys for $1.79 and it looks like this...

Attachments

• 700831.jpg
    700831.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 4
thanx everyone,, i have used all the good protein treatments except aphogee to not much avail and i honestly just think the bad ends in time have to go but i will try that Mendex stuff, thanks ms. lepe ,, also i was in a bad mood when i wrote that post, sorry to be so pessimistic about relaxers,, sometimes i get mad at them and blame them for ruining my hair when in fact it was also my bad treatment that caused this,, obviously if relaxers totally destroyed hair, all the ladies on this site wouldnt have any!:), once again thanx, this board has turned my hair around :kiss: to everyone

Back