Hair color and breakage.

all_1_length

Hi guys I need some information. I'm greying and I want to color my hair but I'm afraid to because of what is happening to my sister. She has shoulder length hair and it usually looks good except for the breakage. She dyes the roots of her hair because she is greying too but her hair is severely broken off at the roots and has thinned out so much that I can see straight through her hair to her scalp before she dyes it. When her grey hairs come in they all come in at once not like a few greys here and there but all of them are grey. My sister is turning 50 this year and I wanted to know if that is normal for hair dying because I notice that not all people who are greying at her age have all of their hair turn grey at one time but it greys more gradual over time. I am thinking that this is the effect of the dye and is not natural.

Meanwhile my sister is shedding like crazy. Long and short hairs fall out all over the place. She uses heat and her hair is pin straight when wet although she says that she doesn't relax her hair. She used to get her hair blown out regularly but now she does it herself. I see she uses quality products like Keracare and silicone mix but I think her problem is probably bigger than the average hair care problems from using the wrong products.

I would like to help her and have a good dye process myself since I have never tried to dye my hair. How do I dye my hair successfully without having problems and what kind of advice can I give to her to stop her breakage. Thanks.

I gather from your post that your sisters' hair care woes could be hormonal. IMO she should check with a dermatologist to see if anything can be done to correct her problem. It seems like she could also be suffering from heat damage severely as well. If she insists on coloring her hair perhaps she should seek a professional stylist that can color/correct it. It's really difficult apply chemicals, especially color by yourself without causing some kind of damage. I know there are alternatives to dye like demi permanent color, glazes and even henna. Perhaps the ayurvedic practitioners can help out???

By the way, what's the condition of your hair? Are you relaxed or natural? If you are relaxed and plan on coloring I would advise against it. If you insist, make sure you space your color and relaxer by at least two weeks, make sure that you do protein treatments and moisturizing treats and most importantly use products specifically designated for color treated hair.

If you have natural hair you still have to be careful, make sure you continue to alternate between protein and moisture treatments, keep your ends protected and always keep that hair moisturized. Avoid too much heat usage.

Last edited:
I'm natural and my hair is healthy. I have some split ends but that's nothing that can't be corrected with a good trim. I wasn't looking to use permanent dye but a color rinse. My sister however uses a semi permanent dye that you can get from Sally's.

I know hair that is being chemically processed will require more care. Right now I do protein treatments regularly, mild protein every 10 days/3 washes and hard protein (Aphogee) every 8 weeks. I use the LOC method to moisturize and seal which is working pretty well. I deep condition only as needed since I M&S regularly and I find that my protein DC also works as a moisture DC. (I say only as needed because I'm careful not to make my hair mushy.) So far I've got my regimen down from my shampoo to the conditioner, deep conditioner, protein, dc, oils, hair moisturizers, protective styles, vitamins, water intake the works. I know when to wash, condition, dc, protein treat, how much heat to use, and which oils benefit me the most. I pretty much know my hair and what works and what doesn't work so there isn't really much more to figure out. It's been growing and thickening up like crazy. LHCF taught me well.:grin:

Most of my hair is still its original color (black) but I'm greying on the sides and I want to go to a darker shade of black instead of lighter. My sister also dyes her hair black if that is of any use to you.

Try doing a skin test on the inner arm or on a small section of your scalp. Thats the simplest way to see if you are sensitive to the dye or even allergic too it. I agree with both posters above. Although I do not know much about hormonal affects on the hair, the heat damage (if she is a heat straightened natural) may play a large role in her hair breaking off.

Maybe its the TYPE of black dye she is using. I remembered when I was getting my hair colored regularly and then finally I saw a professional it turns out that the dye the previous stylist had been using was too harsh for me hair and causing it to break off, she switched me to a new one and I was fine after that.

I wouldn't say that your sister's issues are caused primarily by dye. Your sister uses heat and she may not have the right regimen for her hair. She also may use dye too often.

I'm natural and I use a permanent dye. However, I make sure I only dye my hair every 8 to 12 weeks. Using any chemical on your hair frequently can cause thinning or scalp issues for some people. I also make sure I DC weeklly. And I do a protein treatment the week after I dye my hair.

I think you can successfully dye your hair with a rinse as long as you maintain your moisture/protein balance, keep your scalp healthy and space out your applications.

I think the semis from Sallys are pretty mild. I'm relaxed and I can use them on the same day I relax. At one time I was using a jazzings and beautiful collections bi weekly and had no trouble.

I wouldn't say that your sister's issues are caused primarily by dye. Your sister uses heat and she may not have the right regimen for her hair. She also may use dye too often.

I'm natural and I use a permanent dye. However, I make sure I only dye my hair every 8 to 12 weeks. Using any chemical on your hair frequently can cause thinning or scalp issues for some people. I also make sure I DC weeklly. And I do a protein treatment the week after I dye my hair.

I think you can successfully dye your hair with a rinse as long as you maintain your moisture/protein balance, keep your scalp healthy and space out your applications.
Thanks. I think she does dye her hair often like once every 2-3 weeks. I also think she uses heat daily and her hair is already bone straight like all the time.

Back