Hair Chronicles Vol. I: Bandwagon & Kitchetician Experiments Gone Awry

kblc06

Soooooo....after having my hair flat-ironed for the past week with extensive search & destroying + another ~2inch trim (don't ask) , I decided that I wanted to start anew all while maintaining perfect ends via rollersetting:creatures. Now, in the past I've used natural homemade products with great success (Coconut milk+honey+EVOO/EVCO = :love: ), so I was intrigued by the Caramel treatment and thought "This could come in really handy for stretching my hair prior to setting it":scratchch.

Off to the store I went, searching high and low for the ingredients:driver:. I got back to my room, re-read the mixing directions, and got to work (I didn't include banana because I don't have a mixer-so I used the banana puree modification). I just knew this was going to be a hit, so after washing out my hair, applying a "slip" conditioner to detangle-I re-rinsed my hair, squeezed out some of the excess H2O, and began to apply the treatment.

My hair almost immediately revolted :freakout:. To my shock...horrror...and amazement, my hair felt as though it had been fused and appeared to shed a few more strands than it had when I washed:burning:!

"This is just %)&%*!@ perfect! After all that meticulous trimming and pampering to get my hair off to a good start, I just may have royally F*^$#!@ up my hair in less than 5 G@#$&*n minutes :wallbash:! Before I completely panicked, :meditate: I decided to just let it sit for about 5 minutes under a cap while I gathered every moisturizing DC in my arsenal. I got in the shower and began to rinse with cool water. My hair felt as though it had gotten a megadose of protein overload and felt indescribable (like a cross between straw and yaki hair :cry: I grabbed my beloved Tresemme Curl Moisturizer and doused my hair in it, detangling under the showerhead with a long-toothed rake comb. Slowly, but surely, as I rinsed it began to soften.

To my utter surprise, my hair felt incredibly soft and tangle free:gorgeous:; it was as if for the first time my cuticles felt completely flat (maybe it was the ACV in the caramel treatment). To be on the safe side I applied more Tresemme, and added Pantene DP mask + Joico K-Pak Conditoner (this combo works when all else fails). As I was applying, it felt as though my hands glided through effortlessly, and every drop of conditioner was being absorbed. I left the DC in and sealed w/ honey & EVOO. I may let it stay on for a 2 couple of hours or get under the dryer, but so far so good :yay:.

Could this experiment been improved?....MOST DEFINITELY (I seriously think I mixed something up-when I went back to look, my mixture looked nothing like the ones made up by others). Even though my hair feels incredible now, this could have been....and still may end up a serious hair disaster

Will I try it again? :yawn: Let's just say I'll stick to what I know works.....at least until I'm feeling more adventurous and knowlegeable. No more poisonous juices and berries :crazy:

Last edited:
Whoa ... thanks for sharing, girl. I was going to try the caramel treatment myself. I even bought all of the ingredients, but I think I'm going to wait now.

What ingredients did you use?

-Blackstrap Molasses
-Honey
-Olive oil
-Wheat germ
-Cornstarch
-Banana puree (baby food)
-ACV
-and I modified it with Coconut creme/milk

The instructions were listed on a member's fotki (I think from NP)

I'm currently sitting under the dryer (rollerset). I'll post my results when I'm finished. My hair reacted well to the products

-Blackstrap Molasses
-Honey
-Olive oil
-Wheat germ
-Cornstarch
-ACV

I'm currently sitting under the dryer (rollerset). I'll post my results when I'm finished. My hair reacted well to the products

I think the reason your hair may have felt like it had protein overload is because you added the coconut milk. Molasses acts like a protein (kind of like henna does) and coconut milk is protein, so that may have been an issue.

Also, I've noticed that when people use the banana baby food there tends to be a problem. It may be because of the preservatives/extra ingredients. Also, the original mix calls for at least 2 soft (like overripe) bananas and my hair tends to be softer when I use that amount of banana, instead of less.

Last, the cornstarch isn't really needed I've found. That may be because I do mine in the blender though. I don't like it to be too thick either.

I'm glad you liked it though.

Be careful about using too much acv and molasses, it will cause your to get hard and tangled...go light on both of those - only a smidgen, like a teaspoon of acv and 3 tspns of molasses. HTH!

I think the reason your hair may have felt like it had protein overload is because you added the coconut milk. Molasses acts like a protein (kind of like henna does) and coconut milk is protein, so that may have been an issue.

Also, I've noticed that when people use the banana baby food there tends to be a problem. It may be because of the preservatives/extra ingredients. Also, the original mix calls for at least 2 soft (like overripe) bananas and my hair tends to be softer when I use that amount of banana, instead of less.

Last, the cornstarch isn't really needed I've found. That may be because I do mine in the blender though. I don't like it to be too thick either.

I'm glad you liked it though.

Hmm...thanks for the input. The next time I try this, I'll be sure to follow the exact instructions. Since I don't have a blender, I was afraid to use actual bananas and end up with bits still in my hair :ohwell:

I'm glad that the outcome was good...when I was using the caramel treatment the directions said to use it on dry hair prior to shampooing and conditioning....maybe that will help next time you use it...
OT...love the rollerset in your siggy

ITA with the banana baby food. A few months back I experimented with conditioner, honey, and baby food and my hair was a total disaster:burning:. It felt like a used brillo pad. I'm done with experiments!

Glad you were able to rectify the issue immediately!

-Blackstrap Molasses
-Honey
-Olive oil
-Wheat germ
-Cornstarch
-ACV

I use just about the same ingredients as this..minus the cornstarch and wheat germ oil though...

Also, if I dont have overripe bananas on hand, I just pop the bananas in the oven..so they'd turn brown. Another thing I change in mine, is that I'll also add coconut oil. Even with the combo of molasses and coconut creme, I've never had that hard hair thing. Hopefully things are better next time you decide to try it out.

Back