Hair causing OCD?

belletropjolie

I am curious to know what you ladies think: can hair obsession cause OCD?

I think I've developed some ocd like behaviours.

I havr a ton of splits and I spend soooooo Much time searching and destroying (like 40 minutes at a time) example, I planned to sleep early last night but found myself s&d ing and detangling for a little over an hour. Its almost like I'm in a trance as I just kept looking for those splits.

I also had a period last year where I would pull my hair out at the root. I had a ton of newgrowth and I just like playing with the texture and looking for the white bulb. I stopped as soon as I noticed my edges getting sparse.

I think I need to stop with the s&d though because my ends are starting to look thin. My plan is to get a weave so that I don't have access to my hair.

So what say you? Normal behaviour or stop now?

Thanks for the responses.

I thought of trichotillomania but dismissed it because I was able to stop pulling out strands as soon as I noticed my edges. Also when I say noticed a spot, it was a very very tiny as my edges are still thick. Once I noticed it I pretty much stopped with the hair pulling.

The s&d started because I actually do have a lot of split ends: mid strand,ssk,jagged ends you name it I have it. So I would trim it occassionally and then I just noticed I was spending way too much time trimming off splits.

In any case, I think I just need to put my hair away and not play with it so much. For example, I didnt take down my bun today, just remoistened my ends. I think doing that and getting a weave will make stop. I dont want to snatch myself bald!

I dont exhibit anyother OCD like behaviours otherwise though so it was weird when I started noticing what I was doing.

Oh I forgot to add that I have noticed this behaviour in someone eles.

When we were younger my cousin would always play with her lashes: Constantly! She was actually ripping out her eyelashes and now she has none. Has to constantly wear eye liner to define her eyes:nono::nono:

That's why I stopped search and destroy. OCD creates obstacles that can never be satisfied. Hence, individually snipping 500,000 hairs one by one-- a feat that cannot be accomplished successfully. Rather, it is better to schedule a time to trim your hair. It can be just 1/8-1/4in. No big deal, but you have successfully rid your split ins and maintained your sanity.

Back