Hair Care tips For The Elderly

flowinlocks

Anyone ever had to maintain the hair of an elderly sick person?

A little history:

I went to visit the home of an elderly woman whom I'm considering doing care giving for.

After her daughter went over what was required for her mother as far transporting, changing, etc... (she has several health challenges) We went over her morning grooming routine.

I almost died when it came to the hair.

The woman's hair is very soft and thin (as to be expected). The Daughter showed me how she wets a brush (with super hard bristles mind you) and brushes/rakes it back. No oil, no moisture. :nono: Then rebraids back into a single braid.

She also informed me that if her hair needed shampooing that I could just use the Dove body wash to wash it with. :perplexed

At this point I'm literally cringing.

I also want to add that although the woman is 76 years old and bed ridden she VERY much cares about her vanity.

Her nails and toes were done and she didn't want me to see her without her wig. Her daughter informed me that sometime she likes to wear makeup. She was even fussing cause she wanted her color touched up. :lol:

Before anyone bashes the daughter let me add that the mother is taken care of VERY WELL, except the hair.

Her hair is broken at the top. I imagine from the brush that seems like something that should be used on a floor. :nono: I just want to go in and condition, moisturize it and give scalp a massage with some warm oil.

Any tips?

Hi You

My relative (mum) isn't bed ridden but can't be arsed in going to and from the bathroom. The thread I started a few years back give some suggestions for quick acting protein treatment. These can be done whilst in the bathroom.

HTH

I would definitely not use the brush. Invest in a wide tooth comb (seamless is best) and one with narrower teeth for tangles and shed hair. If her hair is dry, DC it for about 10 minutes. A good detangling leave in and light oil is pretty much all she needs if she wears wigs a lot.

How long and thick is her hair?

I would definitely not use the brush. Invest in a wide tooth comb (seamless is best) and one with narrower teeth for tangles and shed hair. If her hair is dry, DC it for about 10 minutes. A good detangling leave in and light oil is pretty much all she needs if she wears wigs a lot.

How long and thick is her hair?

Her hair seems to be neck length.

Thanks for the tips ladies. I'm sorry I guess I should have worded the question differently. I know what to do as far as hair care. Products, styling tools, etc..

However the person is bedridden. I'm kinda looking for tips on cleansing/cond the hair of someone who can't really rinse in a tradition sink.

She is able to sit up in her wheelchair for short periods of time.

Last edited:
get her a satin pillow case and a satin cap for her wigs. just like everyone else said, get her a good moisturizer, a good moisturizing shampoo, conditioner, and a light oil.

flowinlocks - sorry I misunderstood the question! The video that WantNatural posted is exactly how the hospital cleaned my SO's late mother's hair when she was there over the summer. You can get the supplies at your local mobility supply store on online. The advantage of a brick and mortar store, at least with some retailers is you'll have access to knowledgeable people that can steer you int he right direction. Comfort and efficiency is key. It is helpful that she can sit up in a chair so that you can focus on the back of her hair. Matted hair in the back was always a risk with my SO's mother even with her straight hair. She didn't want it cut short either, LOL.

does she have a chair that sits in the bath tub or shower? is she sponge bathed? does she have a shower head sprayer? these would really help in the process.

does she have a chair that sits in the bath tub or shower? is she sponge bathed? does she have a shower head sprayer? these would really help in the process.

shortdub As far as I know they are bathing her top half while sitting up in the wheelchair in the bathroom. The waist down is done while she is in bed.

One of her heath challenges is MS. So I'm assuming that they found getting her in and out of the shower a challenge (even with a chair)

The daughter told me they just use a washcloth and body wash to scrub her head.

@flowinlocks - sorry I misunderstood the question! The video that @WantNatural posted is exactly how the hospital cleaned my SO's late mother's hair when she was there over the summer. You can get the supplies at your local mobility supply store on online. The advantage of a brick and mortar store, at least with some retailers is you'll have access to knowledgeable people that can steer you int he right direction. Comfort and efficiency is key. It is helpful that she can sit up in a chair so that you can focus on the back of her hair. Matted hair in the back was always a risk with my SO's mother even with her straight hair. She didn't want it cut short either, LOL.

Thanks so much.
I'm assuming that's where the family would find that wash bowl contraption? This is something they would have to approve but at least they have options.

Massage her scalp with warm oil.

Give her a satin cap to use anytime she's in bed.

Use a spray bottle of water mixed with a lil conditioner to cleanse and moisture her scalp/hair. She's inside all day not rolling outside in dirt. She doesn't need deep cleaning, none of us do.

Back