Hair Care in College

Vinyl

Upon advice from a fellow member, I've decided to post this in Hair Care Tips as well. =)

Has anyone been able to maintain braided styles in college? With the cost of buying the hair (I don't mind buying the cheapest brand) + getting it done?

I'm a natural and wondering if I should relax or get locks or something.

IMO it would be cheaper to take care of your natual hair (wearing it out)

If not, it seems like the relaxer and braids would even themselves out.
With the relaxer you need way more products you have to replace every moneth or two for about $40-$60 total & time, or get it done at the salon every week or two for about $30-$60, and relaxers will be about $60-$120 every 2/3 months if you go to the salon.

With braids you use less product, less time, and its like $150-$250 every 2/3 months for sewins, micros, kinky twist ect.

:ohwell: *shrugs*

IMO it would be cheaper to take care of your natual hair (wearing it out)

If not, it seems like the relaxer and braids would even themselves out.
With the relaxer you need way more products you have to replace every moneth or two for about $40-$60 total & time, or get it done at the salon every week or two for about $30-$60, and relaxers will be about $60-$120 every 2/3 months if you go to the salon.

With braids you use less product, less time, and its like $150-$250 every 2/3 months for sewins, micros, kinky twist ect.

:ohwell: *shrugs*

^^^ I agree. You also have to be careful with thinning from braids if you get them too tight and don't take care of them properly.

hey im a BCS (Broke College Studet):grin::grin: and i agree with the ladies that it may be WAYYYY more expensive to keep up with the relaxer look if its maybe shoulder length or shorter. I would say learn to braid your hair yourself it took me about 30 min to learn how to do it or get real buddy buddy with a girl in your dorm who can braid. Whenever i go home i hit up the BSS so that i can get a couple packs of Kanekalon? for myself its like $1 somethin a pack and all i need is one pack to do some individuals and im good to go. Im thinking about braiding up this weekend so i'll try and post picks HTH

Last edited:
I wore braids for a year in college. It was either that or wear my hair up.
Braids were a change of pace for me because I didn't/don't wear my hair down too often and I'm anti-relaxer (and always have been).

I tried braiding myself but for the look I was going for, it took me way too long. I didn't really know anyone who could braid very well so I went to a professional every time.

I'm in law school now so my time is more precious and my money is more non-existent. I wear my hair up most of the time but I'm getting Senegalese twists very soon.

One more thing... I was thinking about locs as well. The upkeep turned me off. If I were to loc, I know I'd want an extremely manicured look. In fact, my future career demands a professional, polished look. With that in mind, I know I would be getting my locs retwisted as often as I could while still maintaining healthy hair. To me, that was almost like getting a relaxer as far as upkeep. With braids or twists, I can just get them whenever I want and not worry about it.

Last edited:
I wore a lot of weaves in college. I tried the braid thing my freshman year and lost a lot of hair (my hair is fine). So the weaves worked much better for me. I was relaxed and only got a touch up once every 12 weeks or so. I would leave my weave in about 8 weeks. Take it out let it breathe for 2 weeks. I usually wore half wigs and phony ponies during that time. Then I would get my relaxer and wear it out for 2 weeks. Then back to the weave.

I think you should go with the braids. As long as you have a good braider and let them know what you want, your hair should be fine.

I have worn braids since i was a freshman in college. I am now a senior. I wear individuals or kinky twist extension. I usually wear braids during the school year especially the closer it gets to exam time. I really have not had any problems. I found a great braider (my Mom:grin:) and she does it for free. I just have to buy the hair. I sugges finding someone at your school who can braid or learning yourself.

Nothing wrong with wearing your own hair sans extension. A puff can get you through some rough times.:yep:

I'm a freshman in college and i do not believe in weaves (I've actually never had one and never will) or braids or even wearing your hair down in college. Braids can thin your hair and hairline and you do not wash your hair as much as you should. Weaves are just a big no no because nine out of ten times they end up damaging your hair (especially glued in ones:naughty:). Even if some people feel their weaves do not damage their hair they are still quite hard to keep looking nice day after day in college so they don't always last as long as you need them. you may be able to wear your hair out but only if you avoid flatironing it before all those big parties and airdry and manipulate it as least as possible.
my suggestion is to opt for a wig or half wig. people think mine is either my hair or a weave so dont be afraid by the word "wig". it allows me to baby and moisturize my hair and i NEVER use heat. Instead of college seeming like a burden on my hair it actually plays as a resting/growing period. Hope this helps! Good luck!:drunk:

Back