Hair Care for 19 month old

ArrrBeee

My coworker has a 19 month old with 4a hair. She is at her wits end and ready to relax when her daughter turns 4.

Her daughters hair is about 5 inches long. Can anyone advise me with product selection, tips, etc.?

Thanks.

has she tried Baby Organic's shea butter moisturising lotion? i started using it last week and its now one of my staples. its nice a creamy and keeps my hair soft.

Geez! She's 19 months old! Just keep her hair washed with a baby shampoo and the child's hair should be fine. She really doesn't need a whole lot of other products.

And I hope the mother doesn't relax the child's hair at 4 years old... that is too young. :nono:

Poohbear said:
Geez! She's 19 months old! Just keep her hair washed with a baby shampoo and the child's hair should be fine. She really doesn't need a whole lot of other products.

And I hope the mother doesn't relax the child's hair at 4 years old... that is too young. :nono:
true lolol... but be careful cause the baby shampoo that i used added to my dryness... maybe she could try an organic one?

My aunty is having a problem like this with dryness. What she needs is some shea butter. I mixed mine with glycerin after some advice on this forum, and my new growth is having the time of it's life. If she doesnt want to style it or if her daughter doesnt like it combed, just leave it out. She can rinse it everyday at bathtime and fluff it up for a wash and go. It's not like a 19 month old's gotta go to work or look prefessional. Too many of these mothers see them kids on the relaxer boxes with clips and hairslides galour and think thats the answer. If she tries to relax at 4 I think its a very good idea that u slap that box out of her hand. (sorry, someone should)

naturaline said:
true lolol... but be careful cause the baby shampoo that i used added to my dryness... maybe she could try an organic one?
Correct! I wasn't recommending the harsh ones when I said 'baby shampoo'... a gentle organic baby shampoo. ;)

I agree w/the shea butter and a moisturizing poo. African has a shea butter moisturizer w/tea tree oil in it and I love it for my kids hair, also B&B moisturizer w/Castor oil. She's definately too young to be contemplating on a relaxer, all the baby needs is some box platts w/a few barrettes on the ends, and as long as she is keeping her scalp and braids moisturized she should be fine. This style normally lasts awhile 2-3wks and you can wash it w/the box platts still in. HTH's

Condition, condition, condition! Aubrey organics conditioner that is. Pick any of the yellow ones for dry, brittle hair. They work fabulously for 4a/4b hair and softens like no other.

Since she is just a baby mildness would be the key. What about conditioner washing with a nice paraben free conditioner and oiling with plain old olive oil?

When my daughters were little I thought their hair always had to be freshly done every morning or I wasn't being a good mother. Not sure if your friend is the same way or not. Anyway, I finally realized with my youngest that a little fuzziness is not bad. I twisted her hair 1 1/2 weeks ago and those babies are a little fuzzy and they are still cute. My point is that constantly combing and styling natural hair can be tiresome and hard on the hair, sometimes you just have to lighten up.

ETA: I'm not sure how you can do this, but maybe you can help her see the beauty of natural hair, show her some natural albums so she can see the potential if she is patient and loving with her daughter's hair. If she loves/prefers straight hair or thinks kinky hair is bad no matter what she will be disappointed with her daughter's hair. Once I finally "got it" there was no turning back. You could not pay me to relax my daughter's hair. Now what once looked like dry naps are sweet tight coils begging for moisture and a gentle hand. I hope you can open her eyes. I would highly recommend Let's Talk Hair by Pamela Ferrell, it will help her understand the history behind relaxing as well as see the beauty of our natural hair. Their are passages in that book, where everytime I read it, I start to well up.

"Let's Talk Hair is an attempt to respond to the backlash, misery and pain the African-American woman perpectually endures over her natural coily hair."

"Once you decide not to fight your natural hair you will be liberated as if you lifted a self-imposed burden off yourself."

Last edited:
Back