Hair can't get enough moisture: Is anyone else's hair like this?

I'm slow..is coconut oil a protein?! I use that bad boy like everyday...and my hair stays dry....

not exactly..but it retains it. which is why protein sensitive ladies like myself stay clear of it.

This is my list of moisturizers, I'm going to research them and chose one.

1. S-Curl

2. Ultra Moisturizer

3. ORS in a jar

4. Paul Mitchell leave in

5. Qhemet heavy creme and burdock

Which oil do you guys find most moisturizing? Someone said Coconut, but I thought coconut is a protein oil.

If you're trying to save money you may want to try the Qhemet amla and olive heavy creme first because it moisturizes much more intensely than the burdock root. If it's too moisturizing then you could scale back and use the burdock root.

some fine haired ladies use the heavy creme in the winter when its really dry and the burdock in the summer.

but my thirsty strands seem to prefer the heavy creme year round.

Last edited:
Ladies make sure you are eating healthy and drinking enough water. I was slacking on my nutrition and water intake and my hair was dry ALL the time and no products seemed to work effectively. Over the last month, I have increased my water intake and started taking vitamins which has helped my moisture retention tremendously.

Thanks for this good advice girl. I find that I am not drinking as much water like before at work. The company that I work for got rid of the Sparkletts bottled water to save some money (although they are saying it's for Eco purposes :lachen:), now they have some water filter system using the sink tap water. That stuff tastes terrible. I have to start bringning my own water to work. :yep:

I can relate to you both, because my hair is like this as well. I've tried many products that people rave about on this board, but they just didn't work for my hair. :sad: My hair does not like glycerin (it dries my hair out something terrible) and that is frustrating, because a lot of products that I tried contains this. Many products just dry my hair out.

I'm using something now as a daily moisturizer (Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioner) that might be a winner for me, but I'm still not 100% sure if it's going to be a staple, because it has only been a few days since I started using it.
I am the say way Kimiche! Glycerin dries out my hair too. Having a hard time finding something that will moisturize also.:wallbash:

BUT I do think I found something...Mane N Tail - The Detangler. Instead of using it to detangle my hair with it, I have been using this to moisturize. I have been using this coupled (sealing) with Fantasia IC Hair Polisher. I just spray the detangler all over my hair then seal with the polisher and my hair has been soft. The spray kinda does what I was hoping the Ultra Black Hair spray "Dew" would have done. Now my hair is soft and shiney.

I do plan on making a moisturizer with some Shea butter I brought. Looking at Youtubes to see how it is done.

Good luck girl! Oh and I am going to see about the ORS Olive Oil in the jar instead of the bottle. The bottle did nothing for me except make my hair super oily.

Sounds like a porosity issue to me. Your hair needs protein to hold on to the moisture. Without it it'll escape. I'd try clarifying the hair first to give it a fresh start. Then maybe try incoporating wheat germ. It has ceramaides that help in preventing moisture and protein loss. Something light weight. Like maybe wheat germ oil when your sealing or prepooing. Or a conditioner with wheat germ as a final rinse. But I'd deff. Step up the porosity control (which by the way contains protein). Hope this helps

I am the say way Kimiche! Glycerin dries out my hair too. Having a hard time finding something that will moisturize also.:wallbash:

BUT I do think I found something...Mane N Tail - The Detangler. Instead of using it to detangle my hair with it, I have been using this to moisturize. I have been using this coupled (sealing) with Fantasia IC Hair Polisher. I just spray the detangler all over my hair then seal with the polisher and my hair has been soft. The spray kinda does what I was hoping the Ultra Black Hair spray "Dew" would have done. Now my hair is soft and shiney.

I do plan on making a moisturizer with some Shea butter I brought. Looking at Youtubes to see how it is done.

Good luck girl! Oh and I am going to see about the ORS Olive Oil in the jar instead of the bottle. The bottle did nothing for me except make my hair super oily.

I hope The Detangler continues to work out for you. I feel like I tried everything. I'm seriously not trying to be a PJ, because if I find my staple products today, then I will stop buying all these different products and only buy my staples. Good luck. :yep:

what I like about the UBH Deep Conditioner is that the first ingredient in it is Aloe Vera Gel. That is also the only protein in it. I think this is why it works so well for me. It does leave the hair hard, but after you moisturize it with the Lotion Creme Moisturizer, it is soft AND strong.

Have you tried JBCO? Helps moisturise my dry hair. I sometimes mix vit e oil with KC leave in conditioner and it keeps my hair moist.

My hair is craving moisture right now. Any 4b/4c have any moisture staples that really moisturize natural hair?

Have you tried ORS Olive Oil (jar not bottle)? I had the same problem and this stuff worked like a charm for me!

No, I haven't; just the crappy one in the bottle. I'm going to look into it thanks to your suggestion.

I am also going to look into the Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Creme (BTW, where can I purchase this stuff online?), in addition to a few things from Mizani....I wish people offered samples...

I have always wondered about JBCO since I use regular castor oil. What is the difference between the two other than how its made and its constituent parts? What does it do for the hair as opposed to the regular castor oil?

Which oil do you guys find most moisturizing? Someone said Coconut, but I thought coconut is a protein oil.

I'm slow..is coconut oil a protein?! I use that bad boy like everyday...and my hair stays dry....

Coconut oil is not a protein oil. It just helps prevent protein loss from the hair which is good, because the hair needs protein to be able to bind to moisture.Coconut oil is a penetrating oil. Penetration also is not synonymous with protein strengthening and binding.

I'm thinking that my hair hates protein as well. A lot of products that I used to use- Cantu Shea leave in, only protein conditioners, infusium spray and aphogee sprays, Aphogee 2 min. every time I washed, so many of my products had protein...made my hair so dry and broke off. It's taken me over a year to realize I have protein sensitive hair..duh.
. It's hard finding completely protein free conditioners and leave ins.

My hair is like that as well. It hates any kind of protein. If theres even the slightest bit of protein in a deep con my hair knows and will respond by getting hard dry and brittle. I only use a protein deep con when needed like when I relax or if my hair gets mushy which isnt often, and even then I dont do anything hardcore. I use ors hair mayo for my protein dcs.

I do think that having to dc every few days and moisturizing everyday is a bit much. Until I tried natural dcs my hair hated me. The one thing you have to look out for if your hair is anything like mine is hidden protein in moisturizing dcs.

@ the bolded
That's because you must have it to moisturize.
Remember that protein in a product does not mean it will be a protein treatment.

There are different types of proteins as well that serve different purposes; for example silk proteins and hydrolyzed wheat proteins help hair hang onto moisture.
Look here for reference.

I just want to say something. I've had trouble with protein in my journey too, I've even said that I'm protein sensitive because my hair didn't seem respond well to protein products that I have used. I'm in the process of re-evaluating all that and I am nowhere near a solution in terms of protein use just yet.

However, I do want to say this. Chronic dryness is sometimes a symptom of another problem, and sometimes that problem is protein deficiency. If you co-wash, DC and moisturize and baggy and you still have chronic dryness you may have to look at your protein and porosity. Just food for thought.

Please remember that protein in a conditioner does not make it a protein conditioner. Protein and moisture co-exist in products for a reason.
You ladies know your hair better than I do of course. That's just my :twocents: :wink2:

Wow sharifeh thanks alot for all the info!
I think i have another problem being that coconut oil, baggying, and deep conditioning with ever known possible products isnt working. However i have natural hair, can I still have porosity issues with natural hair? PLEASEEEE HELP ME if you can. My hair is soooo dry and nothing is working. Ive practically given up.

Wow sharifeh thanks alot for all the info!
I think i have another problem being that coconut oil, baggying, and deep conditioning with ever known possible products isnt working. However i have natural hair, can I still have porosity issues with natural hair? PLEASEEEE HELP ME if you can. My hair is soooo dry and nothing is working. Ive practically given up.

Yes of course you can still have porosity issues. As far as I know, afro-textured hair is naturally porous, it's not just chemical treatments that make it porous. Why don't you post your regimen and products?

My hair is like this...I have to be careful with protein. But UBH Lotion Creme Moisturizer ALWAYS works for me. Go to: Ultrablackhair.com

I think I'm going to try this. It's cold in Canada and my glycerine-based products like S-curl, is drying out my hair. I hope this works as daily co-washing for me a is a :nono: due to the cold weather.

OP, have you ever considered making your own moisturizer? Using an ingredient here and an ingredient there from some of the moisturizers you've had more success with? This was you can adjust/balance the proportions of you recipe and really tweak it to fit your needs. Just a suggestion.

Try making your final rinse cool to cold water to seal the moisture in.
I love hot water, but I guess its a sacrifice I must make to have long hair. I'll try it.

I'm going to do an egg protein treatment every two weeks and deep condition twice a week and see how that goes. I'll be starting tonight.

Do you guys suggest doing porosity control as the last step or before the deep condition? I searched and it seems like everyone has different methods, I'm not sure which is more effective.

Last edited:
OP, have you ever considered making your own moisturizer? Using an ingredient here and an ingredient there from some of the moisturizers you've had more success with? This was you can adjust/balance the proportions of you recipe and really tweak it to fit your needs. Just a suggestion.
I've tried but it never worked.:nono: I'm just not good at those kinds of things it turns out awful.

Yes of course you can still have porosity issues. As far as I know, afro-textured hair is naturally porous, it's not just chemical treatments that make it porous. Why don't you post your regimen and products?

Sorry im super late. Thank you very much. I never knew that.

My regimen consists of:
Wash every 2 weeks with BEAUTY WITHOUT CRUELTY MINT SHAMPOO
Condition with AUBREY ORGANICS WHITE CAMELLIA CONDITIONER
no leave ins, I havent find anyone that worked :wallbash:
Moisturize with shea butter.

I forgot I had some Tahliah Waajid mist :grin: laying around the house. Maybe ill try to use that again.

THANK YOU AGAIN

My hair I just don't knw sometimes but I love it. I have tried so many shampoos n condishes like most here. The whole line of NTM has been a God sent for me. I use the creamy shampoo, daily moisturizing condish mixed with aloe vera gel, (leave me hair feeling so soft and silkly) then seal with Sally's Argan Oil. The Argan Oil I love because it does not leave my hair feeling oily.

The Triple Moisturizing mask I use as my dc weekly.

Jessicurl WDT has seriously turned my hair around (and in a very short amount of time.)

Also its super slippy.

I'm trying to get my money right because it works so well that at this point I'm thinking of using it as DC and leave in.. it's awesome that way too. So far cowashing with Giovanni SAS and DCing with Jessicurl WDT (and, often, some salt) seems to be improving things for the better.

I'm also trying to remember to at least dampen my hair everyday. It flourished the most with frequent contact with water.

I just bought some qhemet biologics so hopefully it will help with moisture. Right now mi hair feels like a steel wool pad...seriously :( It seems like when I was transitioning I never had a problem with moisture...but o well nothing I won't be able to figure out.

Back