HAIR BREAKAGE, HELP!!

brandy

I have 4A/B hair and have about 3/4 of an inch of new growth; but the problem is HAIR BREAKAGE. I've been washing and deep conditioning my hair weekly and there is still hair breakage. I've clarified and protein conditioned my hair and also used a moisturiser, and my hair still won't stop breaking what shall I do. I wear my hair in protective styles most of the time and do not drink coffe. I've also been moisturising using S-CURL.
What shall I do? Please help!! /images/graemlins/cry3.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hey brandy! /images/graemlins/wave.gif Maybe you are going through some hormonal changes. Are you stressed? When i was stressed out, my hair constantly broke. I wish I could give some advice (but I know the ladies will come soon to help you). I do hope you find the help you need to stop the breakage.

[ QUOTE ]
anky said:
Hey brandy! /images/graemlins/wave.gif Maybe you are going through some hormonal changes. Are you stressed? When i was stressed out, my hair constantly broke. I wish I could give some advice (but I know the ladies will come soon to help you). I do hope you find the help you need to stop the breakage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Anky /images/graemlins/wave.gif I would recommend that you use a reconstructor immediately (Keraphix, Nexxus Emergencee, Motions CPR, etc. Keep using it until the breakage stops. Start doing co washes more often. You might want to also give yourself a trim to get rid of any damaged hair.

Going out on a limb here...

You say you've been doing protein treatments? Are you following them up with moisturizing conditioner treatments? Protein strengthens hair but also makes it hard (think stiff) so you need to balance that with a moisturizing treatment to make the strands flexible. Reconstructors are safer to use than pure protein conditioners because they have both moisture and protein so are less "hard on the hair". I agree with Lthomas that conditioner washes (or deep treatments using moisturizing conditioners) may be the way to go, to help add more moisture than just your leave in. Give the protein treatments a break for a bit, and then use reconstructors when you need to add strength.

Oh, one thing I forgot to ask, is the breakage occurring at the point where your new growth meets the relaxed hair? If so, there are many pple here that stretch their relaxers and they might be able to suggest a solution to this. Sorry I can't be of more help on that as my hair is natural and when I had it relaxed I was totally clueless. /images/graemlins/dork.gif

My last touch up was in October. Should I touch up my new growth? I usually wait for 12 weeks before I re-touch new growth.

Since your hair is breaking I would recommend that you not even think about touching up at this time. Try to slow down the breakage first, then decide when you want to touch up again.

I had some breakage after a bad relaxer from a stylist that burned off the length of my hair. I use a reconstructor every time I washed my hair and followed it up with a moisturizing conditioner. It stopped eventually and the hair grew back in no time. I still use a reconstructor before days before I relax and the first time I wash after my touch up. I will also do it if I notice some shedding. Surge is also another good product that helps stop shedding and breakage. You have to follow it up with a light oil. Try doing a co wash with a moisturizing conditioner like Pantene. Make sure it says moisturizing on the label. Increase your co wash from once a week to twice weekly. Try to shampoo every other week or once a month. I have decrease my usage of shampoo to once or twice a month. It is just too drying. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I know how frustrating breakage can be, but you can overcome this problem with presistance.

God bless you Lthomas for your support. /images/graemlins/rosebud.gif /images/graemlins/kiss.gif
I am definitely going to do all you suggested. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I agree with everything lthomas1 said. Very good advice /images/graemlins/smile.gif When I cut back on the protein treatments, started doing CO washes primarily and cut out all ALS and SLS shampoos my hair responded positively /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brandy you have received very good advice so far. My hair was breaking like mad this time last year and had thinned out like crazy in the back. The only thing that really help curb it the most was deep conditioning with heat after every shampoo with a good moisturizing conditioner. I also used reconstructors. My fav is emergencee. Are you using heat to allow the conditioner to really penetrate your hair shaft? I have noticed a tremendous difference in my hair since a year has passed. Like another poster mentioned getting a good trim should help as well to get rid of those damaged parts of your hair. In my case I cut several inches off and my hair has literally grown back in less than a years time. Almost all of us here from personal experience how frustrating it is dealing with damage. I hope your breakage subsides soon.

Back