Hair Article about black stylist EDRIS NICHOLLS

ms_kenesha

WHETHER LOOKING FOR THE ULTIMATE UPDO OR A RUNWAY-WORTHY SHAG, EVERYONE FROM CEOS TO SUPERMODELS PUTS TRUST IN HAIRSTYLIST EDRIS NICHOLLS.
BY MEGAN DEEM

While some computer programmers end up hacking into mainframes for the CIA, others take on much riskier ventures—like trimming supermodel Naomi Campbell's hair. For former techie Edris Nicholls (who notes, for die record, that Campbell is always "nice and professional"), the leap from cutting-edge technology to cutting technique wasn't so farfetched. After all, she grew up watching her grandmother, who was a stylist in the Caribbean. Nicholls honed her skills by working backstage at the hyper-high-fashion shows of Alexander McQueen, Marc Jacobs, and Versace, among others, but it's her trademark low-maintenance cuts that last for months that have built such a devoted clientele. (She counts Iman, Macy Gray, and Campbell as regulars.) A week after celebrating the opening of Edris, her salon in downtown Manhattan, Nicholls set down her scissors and revealed her secrets for eternal good-hair days.
Is there one universal hair truth, no matter what type of hair you have?
All women—black and Caucasian and even those with fine hair— need to deep-condition regularly. With all the blow-drying, coloring, and everything else, hair gets so dry and damaged. Go to a salon for an intense treatment four times a year, and then do weekly maintenance sessions at home. For those, I love Moisture Pack by Aestelance; it works on any hair type. Put it on dry hair, wait 20 minutes to an hour, then shampoo and condition as usual.
Any other secrets?You need to have a clean scalp. Hair won't grow from a dry, flaky scalp or one covered in product buildup. Once a week, rub shampoo into your dry hair so that you can get down to the skin and get it really clean. Then rinse and condition. Since oil and water don't mix, shampooing wet hair doesn't always get everything out.
What are our biggest hair issues?
Women are very insecure. If they have very curly hair, they want it to be loosely tousled like Meg Ryan's. If their hair is big and wavy, they want it smaller. But a hairstyle should be about what suits you.
Which hair trend do you think is over? Relaxers and thermal straightening—I'm tired of everyone having fried hair as a result! My philosophy is you should work with your natural texture instead of fighting it. Hair should be about softness and ease.
Brides and black-tie-bound socialites love your updos. What's the trick?Start by assessing the shape of your head and neck. If you have a long neck, don't pile your hair on top of your head for extra height; it will look more graceful pulled back. If you have round features, wear your hair half up and half down, because if you pull it all back, your head will look like a ball. Every style needs to be set with hair spray, but opt for a soft-hold version like the one from ISO. If you use something strong and decide to take your hair down partway through the night, it will look crunchy and stiff.
Any advice for doing the perfect blow-out? Everyone needs a flat Mason Pearson brush—they're the best. Denman makes a really wonderful copy that's much cheaper. Basically, you want a soft brush that won't rip the hair as you pull the brush through. I mk equal parts of Kerastase Nutri-Liss smoothing lotion and Kerastase Serum Oleo-Relax and work that through damp hair before I start drying. It gives any kind of hair shine and control andhdps protect it from the blow-dryer's heat. Make sure the nozzle of the dryer stays pointed down as you work—that also helps keep hair smooth. D

78 ELLE
Hair essentials In her salon, Nicholls keeps a Denman flat brush on hand and prescribes Kerastase Resistance Concentre Vita-Ciment treatments for dry-haired patrons; a touch of Schwarzkopf Osis Magic Anti-Frizz Gloss Serum "gives shine to any hair type"; Farouk BioSilk Silk Therapy balm weightlessly tames curls and "is also good for softening skin"; Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion is "the magic trick for getting Halle Berry-straight hair."

Thank you very much for posting this. It is VERY informative!
trampoline.gif

I want to go to cosmetology school because I've always dreamed of opening my own salon and of course I'd like to incorporate evertyhing I've learned from LHCF! When I was in middle school going to high school I wanted to go to this high school in my area that had a cosmetology program, but my parents wanted me to go to the high school that had the strictly academic program. They thought my dreams of being a hairstylist were "silly" and they said hairdressers don't "make money"! I guess I've been paying all my hairdressers in shells and beads
laugh.gif
! I will open a salon one day though, you mark my words!
smile.gif

I too have always dreamed of opening my own Salon/Spa and some day changing the face of beauty. All of my Barbi's had layered cuts,or Blunt Bob's, and kool-aid colored locks. My parents were also very forcefull in making me go to schools that were strictly academic. I will finish my BA degree but after thats done I'm going to cosmetology school to fulfill my dreams!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I I will finish my BA degree but after thats done I'm going to cosmetology school to fulfill my dreams!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me, too. Do you know what cosmetology school you want to enroll in? I know after I finish my initial cosmetology program I want to take some Aveda Advanced Classes .

Good luck with your BA and your future salon/spa venture!
smile.gif

Re: Hair Article about black stylist EDRIS NICHOLL

[ QUOTE ]

Any advice for doing the perfect blow-out? Everyone needs a flat Mason Pearson brush—they're the best. Denman makes a really wonderful copy that's much cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel a PJ attack coming on...
eek13.gif

Re: Hair Article about black stylist EDRIS NICHOLL

Thanx all for the support. I too want to go to the Aveda School however I heard it was really expensive. There are some schools in California that are supposed to be really good as well. I'm still looking into it though

Back