Had Major Growth on 05? How did you style your hair daily?

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
I'm curious to find some good answers to this question. During 2005 I sustained some growth but would have wanted much more. I have been taking my vitmains consistenly and wear my hair in ponytails (good/bad eh?) frenchrolls, or out when managebale. I'm thinking that the way I style my hair may be the problem. Oh yea and how do you ladies wear your hair to bed at night, to where u can moisturize, style and go without using alot of time? Thanxs ladies!:D

Very good question. I still usually loosely braid and pin up my hair at night. That way I can take it down and wear a braidout in just a few minutes (or make a braided bun, wavy bun, wavy french roll, etc.). I would say my growth was okay but not major in 2005, I need to make and look at some new pics first. My focus was on hair health though and I believe I have it.

I don't wear ponytails much but they should be okay, as long as the ends are always moisturized.

Last edited:
I wanna know too. I swear I wore a bun for 364 days in '05. And didn't even sustain that much growth!

Please let me know also because I actually experienced breakage while wearing my hair in a bun during most last year.

vikkisecret said:
I'm curious to find some good answers to this question. During 2005 I sustained some growth but would have wanted much more. I have been taking my vitmains consistenly and wear my hair in ponytails (good/bad eh?) frenchrolls, or out when managebale. I'm thinking that the way I style my hair may be the problem. Oh yea and how do you ladies wear your hair to bed at night, to where u can moisturize, style and go without using alot of time? Thanxs ladies!:D

My hair growth for 2005 wasnt really major, slighty above average at 7 inches, I'm hoping to increase that to 8 or more inches by doing more CO Washes this year, we shall see. I wear my hair in protective styles 80% of the time, buns, braidouts and phony ponies are my staple styles.

I moisturize my ends every other night. I usually make a braided ponytail and pin it up, or I apply the baggie method, and cover with a satin bonnet or scarf half the time.

When I wear ponytails or buns I moisturize my ends and use ouchless elastics, I may try the pantyhose method to see how that works.

*When wearing ponytails make sure its not too tight, and switch the position of the ponytail every now and then to avoid breakage, and most importantly moisturize!

i remember doing braidouts for two months straight when i was stretching... I also wore my hair in pig tails... and cliped my hair up (preferably with a bear claw). OH and sometimes I would baggie all day by covering the bag with a scarf to look like my hair was actually in a bun (normally when I'm lazy).

Hmm... I really need to update my fotki.

Bear claws are the most successful for me, because buns cause breakage and so do ponytails so bear claws are my answer.

my hair growth for 2005 is below in siggy.
When I went to bed, the majority of the time I would leave hair down and wrap with scarf w/ back hanging out then put satin bonnet over it. Next morning wake up and go. I did this every single day without having to comb hair or brush hair. I did this almost the whole year.
For nearly the entire summer, I wore braidouts.

I probably put on about 8 total inches this past year, cuz my hair was 2 inches below shoulder blades or maybe 1" above bra-strap when I joined in March. I think it had a lot to do with stretching my relaxers. The longer I go without one, the faster and thicker my hair grows, which is why I am transitioning. I cut about 3 1/4 inches off to even it up and a few dustings here and there. I don't think it was major growth. I just wasn't trimming as often as I used to in 2003-2004.

Most of the time I wore protective styles like a pinned up braid, bun, french twist, or in a bear claw clip (the truth). On occasion I would go a couple weeks or a month CWing everyday, then I would slack off, get lazy and shampoo and deep condition just 2 times a week.

At night I put my hair up with a clip or put it in a bun with Good Day Hair Pins and tied it w/ a Satin Scarf. I would finger comb it in the morning and redo the bun or put it in a bear claw clip. No real combing or brushing necessary.

Last edited:
vikkisecret said:

i had major growth. My daily favourite styles were cornrows, twists, twistouts and two puffs thats all i do but i will resume cornrows friday i experience the most growth when i only do ten of them and leave them alone. it was the best cause i could go between the rows to moisturize my scalp, put the mtg and at night just wear either the satin bonnet or baggy method and it was the fastest one. it would just take me 5mns to go between the rows and i was done. i wake up put the mtg thats it. all my other styles require time except maybe the two puffs and too much manipulation.

Last edited:
Good question! I probably had about 6 inches of growth this year. I have finally realized how slow my hair grows!!! I am trying to be more faithful to my GNC hair vites because i remember the growth i had maybe 4years ago. But the good news is I am very happy because I retained most of it!!! I was smart enough to know that since my hair grows 1/2inch a month...i cannot afford to let a stylist chop it off. I only did 1/4in dustings like every 3months, just to get rid of see-thru ends. I am not into protective styling at all. I always like to have my hair down. The styles/methods that I've rocked ALL year was:
--wash & deep cond hair once a week (mostly w/o heat)
--blowdry my hair straight (no flat-iron although i used my ceramic flatiron maybe once a month)
--use caruso steam roller every other day. wear my hair in curls for 4 days
--3 days, I'd wear a tiny hairclip/claw. It looks like a low ponytail in the back, but i use the hair clip instead of a rubberband.
--some days after my hair is freshly blowdried, i'd just wear my hair down without any curling or combing. side part, use bobby pins to pin the sides behind the ear and wear the back down (looks good for shoulder-armpit length). (to me...this was my protective style because there was no heat or combing applied whatsoever)
--nightly I apply UBH spray moisturizer maybe a lil oil, and I'd use my k-cutter widetoothed comb to double-wrap my hair. Not a tight wrap, i'd just simply part my hair down the middle and comb/fold the left side of hair over the top right of my head and comb/fold the right side of my hair over the top left of my head. Sometimes when i'm too lazy i wont even use a comb...i just swoop my hair and lay it down. So in the mornings, no combing. I simply run the K-cutter thru the part to get rid of it and I am out the door. This made it easy for me to wear my hair straight without flat-ironing, or curling it.

I think the double wrap that i wear at night, and the fact that I stopped using flat-irons has led me to retain my growth. The double-wrap allows me to wake-up and go, or wake-up steamroller and go, or wake-up grasp with a hairclip and go...whichever i prefer. Also the fact that I have completely stopped letting people trim my hair, obviously led me to retaining length. My hair is never razor cut, and won't be until I reach my BSL goal. But the length is always cleaned up (to my satisfaction).
I'm not a fan of buns or any of the protective styles but i'm sure they work just as well. But i hope that people will see that they aren't a MUST for growing hair. Just be sensible.

Back