Gunk in my hair wont go away....clarified 3x PLEASE HELP!!!

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
I think that the MT I was using caused some sort of super-gunk residue to form on my scalp. I have tried to wash it out w/a clarifing poo three times and it can still be seen. I should have known, once I rinsed the poo out of my hair it still felt sticky, I couldn't even comb though it :cry: I clarified once more before work and wore my hair airdried. I thought I was looking cute until my SO suprised me w/ lunch. First thing he said was "What's that white stuff in your hair?!" . It won't go away.:nono: Please help!

How does the build up feel? Oily?

I personally would rub some pure oil in those areas to help the buildup loosen up. Then I would apply the shampoo directly to my scalp. I would also suggest you clip your hair into sections when you wash it to make sure you are rinsing well. Good luck

Last edited:
what would cause this?

I would say try baking soda or ACV but they are so drying and I dont know if that would be good with using MT??

But I do think those would cut through the gunk

How does the build up feel? Oily?

I personally would rub some pure on in those areas to help the buildup loosen up. Then I would apply the shampoo directly to my scalp. I would also suggest you clip your hair into sections when you wash it to make sure you are rinsing well. Good luck

Hi! :wave: Thanks so much for helping!

The buildup actually feels sticky, I can run my fingers though my hair and feel a slight tackiness on my fingers. When I tried to comb it, little white gobs were on my comb (yuck!) I used the poo on my scalp, it actually got rid of most of the residue from my scalp:yep: but I think it just migrated to my hair :nono:

Last edited:
Redken Cleansing Cream ... let it sit for 10 minutes and rinse out. The gunk will be gone.

what would cause this?

I would say try baking soda or ACV but they are so drying and I dont know if that would be good with using MT??

But I do think those would cut through the gunk

I was thinking about using the baking soda too...at this point I may have to use it. I'm ditching the MT BTW, I have never had this happen before and the only thing I was doing different is using MT. Thanks!

Wow how much MT did you use? Mustve been too much. I would discontinue use since it could damage your scalp.

I remove the MT by leaving my head under the shower for a good 5 minutes, then I co-wash. You might want to try the ACV rinse then follow-up with a deep conditioner. HTH and good luck!

Wow how much MT did you use? Mustve been too much. I would discontinue use since it could damage your scalp.

I remove the MT by leaving my head under the shower for a good 5 minutes, then I co-wash. You might want to try the ACV rinse then follow-up with a deep conditioner. HTH and good luck!

nevermind=misread of what was said

Last edited:
Hmmm.... Since clarifying didn't work, maybe chelating would work. A good and cheap chelating poo is ORS Creamy Aloe. Let it sit on your hair for 5 minutes and rinse

This is so strange! I wonder what on Earth is making your scalp react to MT this way?!

Let us know what you do and keep us updated! I really hope you can get that stuff out of your hair

Not much at all, which is why I'm suprised. I applied it w/ an applicator bottle and only used it may be 2x/week. I also washed once a week. I'll probably try the rinse after the baking soda. Thank you!

That happened to me once when I used weave glue and it got gummy. Have you tried olive oil? I know it sounds weird to put an oil on top of gunt but it's what worked for me. Also, try Dawn original (not concentrated) dishwashing soap they use to get oil spills off the birds. I know, I know, sounds crazy but true.

That mega tek, is not for everyone...i stopped using it as well - its not right...something is just not right with that stuff. !!

I would try lemon and conditioner - leave it for 5 - 10 mins then rinse, the problem is with mt i dont think you should rub your scalp too much. I dont think its a good idea for it to get deep into the pores.

Hope everythings cool.

Weird!! I've never gotten that from MT before! I wonder if it combined with something else you were using to form the 'gunk'. :nono:

I'd suggest mixing a little baking soda with some conditioner, water it down a little, and work it into your scalp well. Rinse super well, and that should clear it out.

That mega tek, is not for everyone...i stopped using it as well - its not right...something is just not right with that stuff. !!

I would try lemon and conditioner - leave it for 5 - 10 mins then rinse, the problem is with mt i dont think you should rub your scalp too much. I dont think its a good idea for it to get deep into the pores.

Hope everythings cool.

Mega TeK! Thanks for the Clarification..........
Ingredients: Deionized water, hydrolyzed keratin protein, stearalkonium chloride, glyceryl stearate, peg 100 stearate, marine protein, peg 40, panthenal, dimethicone copolyol, magnesium citrate, allantoin, amino acids, methylparaben, mucopolysaccharides, propylparaben, imidazolidinyl urea, fragrance.

The problem could be the Magnesium Citrate.... it can Build up over time..

:blush: I thought i was just being heavy handed. Me too!

That's how i dont understand how some of yall are applying this stuff to your scalp 1-2 times a day.

I have to pick out the white residue in my NG. Not quite as bad as your situation but i ordered some oil to thin this MT out. Its just too thick.

When i wash my hair, it does go away though.

I would definitely do a pre-poo oil soak if your hair is feeling sticky and gummy like. Oil is very good at removing that adhesive residue feel, like after you get waxed. I would use a heavier oil (like olive) and let it soak for about 30 min. You may want to massage it in a bit.

Also you may want to try a chelating shampoo, than just a regular clarifying one. I think the Kenra cleansing cream that another poster mentioned is one. Hope this helps! :yawn:

Back