Guest list...

delitefulmane

How many extra "safety guests" did you invite?

I was told you should invite more than your expected number because etiquette says 10-20% of the people you invite won't show. What did you guys do?

Say for instance, if the target guest count is 170, how many over that number would you invite?

This is starting to get frustrating because my mom wants to invite the whole world. :nono: :nono: But thats NOT happening!

Idk but this gives me anxiety. We are having a dw and budgeted for 65ish ppl. However I guest list is currently over 200. Idk what I will do if a whole lot more people decide to come then what we planned for. We have to get our list down.

Not sure but the last two times I planned an event, more ppl showed up. First event was for 40 ppl; invite only. 53 ppl showed up. Smh My last recent event was an invite of only 20 ppl; 28 ppl showed up.

I think you'd just have to make the best assumption based on your own circumstance, because everyone's experience will be a different number.

For example, we wanted a 150-person wedding in Miami (my hometown). We counted and we wanted to invite about 70 people from the Dominican Rep., 50 people from France, 10 from Canada and like 5-8 from 3 other countries + the boatload that actually live in Miami.

We made the "educated guess" that not even half of the foreigners would attend. And we were correct. Checking our Excel sheet, we ended up inviting a total of about 300 people and our attendance was 147/150. A couple got a flat tire :rolleyes: and one guy just didn't show. I'll say that the 300 number also includes our guests' SOs and family/friends who we later green-lighted to come along. When we originally sent our invitations, we sent to 270.

Also, take your wedding day and hour into consideration. My wedding was on a Sunday, starting at 6PM (so fairly late). I wasn't inviting children so I also knew that many parents would decline. Take all that into consideration, it didn't fail me. I will say though that we wouldn't have gone into debt had we had a lot more than 150. If one really can't afford it, I would say to play it a lot safer than I did.

Last edited:
I say only invite the number you're comfortable accommodating. I don't care for B and C lists. What that means is if only half my count shows up, I'll be slightly disappointed, but I'll be fine.
On the other end, you invite randoms thinking they won't show up, and they end up surprising you.

Our guest list is currently maybe 45 people. All close family and good friends that we would feel honored if they joined us in Barbados. We're allowing children and SOs too since it's destination, and these are kids that I care about and love.

My place requires at least 150, which we already have. My parents and his parents still have folks to add though -_-. We don't send out save the dates till early next year so we still have time. I don't want to send out more than a 170 invites.

I think you'd just have to make the best assumption based on your own circumstance, because everyone's experience will be a different number.

For example, we wanted a 150-person wedding in Miami (my hometown). We counted and we wanted to invite about 70 people from the Dominican Rep., 50 people from France, 10 from Canada and like 5-8 from 3 other countries + the boatload that actually live in Miami.

We made the "educated guess" that not even half of the foreigners would attend. And we were correct. Checking our Excel sheet, we ended up inviting a total of about 300 people and our attendance was 147/150. A couple got a flat tire :rolleyes: and one guy just didn't show. I'll say that the 300 number also includes our guests' SOs and family/friends who we later green-lighted to come along. When we originally sent our invitations, we sent to 270.

Also, take your wedding day and hour into consideration. My wedding was on a Sunday, starting at 6PM (so fairly late). I wasn't inviting children so I also knew that many parents would decline. Take all that into consideration, it didn't fail me. I will say though that we wouldn't have gone into debt had we had a lot more than 150. If one really can't afford it, I would say to play it a lot safer than I did.

Amarilles,
Thanks. I'll take all this in consideration. I am thinking that I want to over invite so that I can get my target number. I just hope more people don't show up than the desired number. :wallbash:

I say only invite the number you're comfortable accommodating. I don't care for B and C lists. What that means is if only half my count shows up, I'll be slightly disappointed, but I'll be fine.
On the other end, you invite randoms thinking they won't show up, and they end up surprising you.

Thanks SamandI. This is what Im afraid of.:nono:

It's ok to over-invite because it's true that about 20% will decline. Also, you will have a few no-shows on the actual day.

Be prepared however to pay for everyone that you invite just in case they all do say that they are coming! :lachen:

It's ok to over-invite because it's true that about 20% will decline. Also, you will have a few no-shows on the actual day.

Be prepared however to pay for everyone that you invite just in case they all do say that they are coming! :lachen:

Hey MizAvalon!! :bat::bat::nono2::nono2: Cut that out!! They better not! :lachen::lachen:

Right now, with this guest list I'm like :whyme::dazed::whyme:
:whyme::dazed:

Unless you're having a destination or some other circumstance that would bring a high decline rate (like a Thursday or Sunday night wedding)I would only invite who you can afford to pay for. If you end up with a high decline rate then your mom can invite her extras. Put you and your grooms guests above her church buddies. Make the list based on who you absolutely want there not on the maximum seating for the hall.

Back