Growing out perm with a Press?

California

I want to go on and grow out my perm. Its not damaged, I want to grow it out with a press on my own. I know of it being done, so has anyone ever done it here? How was the experience of doing it yourself? What product was used to press it? Can it be done without heaviness and greasiness?

Thanks

I did this the first time I went natural right after I finished high school. My hair looked good and I had no problems when I went to the salon every two weeks- more or less. My hair dresser fried the heck out of my hair without any grease at all and I don't remember having problems but I did notice that the natural part started to be much thicker than the relaxed part, which looked kinda funny. Plus, the relaxed ends can't take as much heat though so I did have to cut it every two months. Knowing what I know now, I'd probably limit your presses a bit more than I did- but yeah this or flat ironing can help you transition.

I did this. I got my hair pressed every two weeks in the summer and in the winter I wore braids. I would get it trimmed every now and then to get rid of the relaxed parts. Make sure you only press the roots. My hairdresser used pressing oil and my hair actually came out straighter than it did when I had the perm. HTH

I got my hair pressed 2x a month, and I actually pressed my hair roots to ends :eek:, shocking I never had any hair mishaps from this. My hair was only relaxed a couple times and it was never relaxed straight so maybe this is why my hair did not suffer when I transitioned.

Hey Cali :wave:

Yes, this can definitely be done. :yep: In fact, I ceramic flat ironed and wrapped my hair for the first 6 months of my transition, and it came out really nice (pics in album). Just be careful with the heat so you're not damaging your hair, like the other ladies have said. And be very gentle w/ the relaxed ends, b/c you will find that they are much more fragile than your natural hair. And since you don't fight humidity in the Bay (I'm originally from Oakland too ;)) like we do hear in Miami, I'm sure your press will be gorgeous! Good luck. :up:

I agree with the other ladies too. i just wanted to add that you should probably use a good protien treatment before each press/flatiron.

Thanks everyone for your advice and insight.

Cincy, your hair pictures are gorgeous. You do look like you have a perm, Wow!! Nice.

Ayana, hey girl whats up?! Do you miss the Town? :lol: I bet not, sameo sameo here (crazy) But, I love your hair girl, its very nice, and its sooo silky!!

I pressed it this morning and whoa, its the bomb!!! I love it!! Its bouncy and not all stiff. I think my hair handles heat very good. I have only one regret in life and that is perming my hair. But this will be for the very best!

I'm happy that I'm transistioning like this, because I'm NOT chopping off my hair for Nothing!!! I'll gradually cut little by little as it grows. Because that is my hair goal: LONG as possible!!

California said:
Thanks everyone for your advice and insight.

Cincy, your hair pictures are gorgeous. You do look like you have a perm, Wow!! Nice.

Thanks Cali :) I am shocked after all the torture I put my hair thru that I did not have any damage, it just bounced right back.

For those that transitioned with pressing, what was your hair routine before the press? Any special shampoos or conditioners? I know the obvious is a good heat protector, but what else?

Why grow out a relaxer just to press, if you are going to wear your hair straight why not go the easy way and have a relaxer? I am honestly curious.

ThickHair said:
Why grow out a relaxer just to press, if you are going to wear your hair straight why not go the easy way and have a relaxer? I am honestly curious.
For me it helps to manage the two textures. I don't plan on cutting off my hair and the option of braids/weaves isn't an option. Just trying to add another styling option to the list. BTW I plan to wear both wavy and straight styles not just straight all the time.
Hope that answers your question.

mscounselor said:
For me it helps to manage the two textures. I don't plan on cutting off my hair and the option of braids/weaves isn't an option. Just trying to add another styling option to the list. BTW I plan to wear both wavy and straight styles not just straight all the time.
Sounds fine.

mscounselor said:

You took the words right outta my mouth. Thanks.

Back