Growing Out Damage Vs Cutting It Off

icsonia22

I came across a video on YouTube where the lady had severe breakage but instead of cutting her hair, she was able to grow it out. She probably had some split ends in there but they didn't appear to keep traveling upwards as she grew her hair out. Do you think anyone could use her approach and just let damage grow out or should it always be immediately chopped off?

I had a hair analysis years ago.and the advice was f you let it grow out do a protein treatment every r to 6 weekend trim off 1/2 inch to 1 inch every 6 weeks to eep the damage from spreading.

Also clipping splits as you find them will help.

As long as you have patience and follow a consistent regimen you should be able to grow the hair out fine.

I didn' watch the video to know what she did. I wouldn't advise just growing it out with regular trims. You have to have some really strong and fast growing hair for that.

I am not about that life. I think growing out damaged hair is like holding on to bad energy. I believe chopping off the dead damaged branches (hair) will free the healthy hair to grow and thrive. You have to do so much to cover, and hide the damage, trying to make it blend in. Holding on is just not coming to terms of the negativity that your hair, or your hair care practices may have caused.

I will put in my 2 cents. I cut it thinking it would just grow back and it' 5 years later and it's not back. So be aware that it isn't always as easy as it sounds. Consider all the factors.

If I knew then this would be my experience I would have just trimmed it away.

It seems like the hair she had left was just fine. The damaged hair had already broken off. I think there is a difference between holding on to severely damaged ends vs salvaging what’s left after experiencing breakage. The latter is easier to bounce back from, ime. And that’s when I don’t think you need to cut, other than for aesthetics. But the former, severely split, damaged, fried ends, I think it’s best to let them go, as you do run the risk of compromising the newer hair as well.

As for me, I have an impatient, all or nothing, perfectionist personality. Once I deem something useless, it’s not long for this world. That’s not necessarily a good thing or positive traits, and this is the reason why I still don’t have any hair. I can’t grow hair, plants, nothing. :lol: Patience is key.

Last edited:
Idk. I understand both approaches. When I had breakage, it was easier for me to just grow it out because of the area. It took a long time. Had I cut my hair, I would have been left with a pixie cut. Perhaps I would have pulled it off, but it was a big chance. Whatever. That was back in 2011. That area is just reaching BSL. The rest of my hair is BSL-WL.

I had debated cutting off. Had I done it then, there is no guarantee that my hair would have been better off.

I am not about that life. I think growing out damaged hair is like holding on to bad energy. I believe chopping off the dead damaged branches (hair) will free the healthy hair to grow and thrive. You have to do so much to cover, and hide the damage, trying to make it blend in. Holding on is just not coming to terms of the negativity that your hair, or your hair care practices may have caused.

Call me crazy but I tend to feel the exact same way. I see my hair and skin as an extension of myself. If my face breaks out, the answer is not to cover it in make-up, it's to treat it kindly until it heals. Damaged hair should be cut off. Doing so is an acceptance of the state that something is in, and the willingness to correct it. Since hair is dead, nothing can heal it, unlike our skin. It's better to start with healthy hair (and easier, might I add), as healthy hair retains its length and is much more enjoyable to work with IMO. :)

For me personally no, I like to wear my hair straight and down sometimes so holding onto damaged ends is just not going to look pretty.

I've been clipping a small amount regularly which seems to work as I recover the lost length quite quickly.

I think it depends on a persons patience and ability to maintain damaged hair. I'm currently growing out heat damage on one side of my head. I decided not to cut in when it first happened because it was concentrated at the roosts and in the center of my strands and cutting of healthy ends didn't make sense to me.

I have heard people say that transitioning allowed them to protect their healthy ends, but because my first transition was so difficult and I lost most of my transitioning hair I didn't understand, this time I've found that to be true. A couple months ago I got impatient and cut some of a section where the texture change was really drastic and immediately my ends curled up on each other and started to knot. So for now I'm just being patients and the grow out process has given me time to revamp my regimen and realize some patterns. So I think it just depends.

Back