Growing Hair Out Without Extensions

LoveisYou

Hey Ladies,

Any of you had success growing your hair without using any form of extensions?

I am currently growing out a short cut and while I am so tempted to get a weave, past experience has taught me that my hair does not thrive with weaves and/or braids.

So for those of you who successfully grew your hair out without extensions, do you have any tips to share?

I know some ladies here, grew their hair without extensions, I did/do use extensions for grow.
Hope they will chime in :)

when i was relaxed and hair a pixie cut, i would flip or spike my hair (flat iron) when it got to that in between stage, i would get flexi rodsets. as far as being natural now, i don't do extentions either.

As long as you retain length, you can grow hair with/without extensions. Retain growth by low manipulation, less heat, moisture/protein balance, etc and you should be fine.

when I first began my hair journey I was very dependent on wigs and weaves and noticed I didn't know what the heck to do to MY hair. SO I ditched all my pony tails, wigs, and weaves for almost two years and my hair grew from full NL to full SL. Once I was close to APL I started with wigs and weaves and again and have gone from about an inch from APL to full BSL in less than a year.

In my weaveless time I did lots of buns and bantu knots.

During high school I wore my hair in braids for 4 straight years, after that I wore weaves up until the end of 2009. For some reason, my hair just can't take extensions, no matter how it's done it always seems to cut right through my hair whether it's synthetic or human.

For my hair journey, I wasn't going to take any chances. I've been bunning for the last year or so, and even though I hate it, my hair has thrived. The only problem is that my hair is shorter in the front from the damage of pulling it back into a ponytail. Free layers, woohoo! :look:

I did when I was relaxed back in high school by wet setting and wearing low manipulation styles. My stylist always wet set every ones hair and sat them under the dryer. She did not blowdry anybody's hair. She only applied direct heat when she was bumping a wrap or curling a short haircut. She built most of her styles from some type of roller set and then styled it dry to put the finishing touches on it.

I typically went to the salon once every 1 to 2 weeks. I adjusted my styles to accomodate my hair at each length. I didn't use direct heat on my hair between salon visits and made sure to cover it up at night. I wore a lot of roller/rod sets, roller wraps, updos, twist outs, etc.

Last edited:
I avoided heat and learned to style my hair in its curly state. I used hats, hair bands and scarves.

I think options is what helps the most. So figure out what your options are and build upon that.

I have retained length without wigs/weaves and by wearing my hair down weeks a time. I do ps though after about 4 weeks post relaxer. I only used direct heat once in the last 7 months and it was on my roots only. I stretch relaxers. Do rollersets. Overnite deep conditioning. Henna. Protein/Moisture Balance. I juice/moisturize daily. Hope this helps. HHG!

He grows no matter what. You just want to retain it. I was doing nothing special to my hair relaxed. I just would set it and let it down. I suck at wrapping it. I used the lowest heat setting and heat protect when I needed and my hair just responded well. As a natural, I just washed and went. Now that I can do 2 strand twists, I just wear them for 3 days, re wash, then twist again. Even when I did wash n gos, I retained length. It can be done. You don't have to use extensions if you don't want to.:yep:

I don't wear weaves/wigs and I have grown my hair from shoulder length to grazing bra-strap length in a matter of 5 months by putting my hair in double-stranded twists, which I learned to do myself.

I will post pics up soon.

Back