Grow out = Severe Breakage

trinidarkie1

I am 10 weeks (as of saturday) post relaxer. My hair breaking in a bad way.
I wear a silk scarf at night, completely moisturized. Treatments every week. But I am seeing my hair just coming out, sometimes from the roots even, or long strands coming out, not just ends or little pieces, it looks like the entire length of my hair.
I'm wondering if I should just stick to a 6 - 8 week grow out and then do my touch-ups, I fear that pushing it to 4 months is going to cause severe damage.

Anyone have any ideas? similar stories? solutions?

sometimes needing a touch-up will cause your hair to break....sorry you are having this problem. I suggest going to your stylist, getting your touch-up and possibly have your ends clipped.

Maybe your hair is breaking because it isn't used to stretching. Maybe you could try stretching longer next time. Mine is starting to break too (long strands like you), but I'm trying to make my goal of 6 months (April) before I relax again...not sure if I will make it though.

Hi TD:

Don't forget: those long strands may be simple shedding. (Humans shed about 100 hairs a day average.) And, if you are not washing every day, or not manipulating it, you aren't shedding as much as you would normaly. Of course, that's only for shedding (ie. has a bulb at the end).

Now breakage is a diffferent issua altogether. It may be the difference in texture. Some people simply can't stretch that long. I would look at members like Sylver2 to see how she manages to stretch. (I don't have problem w/ breakage when I stretch...I have other issues!)

Good luck!.

I would suggest doing the aphoghee treatment and then getting a perm within the next week or two. If your hair is breaking off that bad, you may not be able to stretch your hair that long. That's just my two cents. :ohwell:

My hair did a similar thing but much worst in my opinion :mad: I stretched my relaxer for three months and in some places it BROKE OFF DOWN TO THE NEW GROWTH! At first I thought I didn't relax good but sure enough some places are about 1" long! It's sad but oh well, I am thinking of cutting it super short again now!

Thanks so much for the responses ladies.
I've never stretched so long and didnt have some kind of extensions in.
Normally I am weaved or braided up.
I had to be realistic.. I cant stand braids in for too long and they look really tacky on me, and with my exercise regimen and how much I sweat, they'd smell, cos I am not good on the braid washing, and the long hours of unplaiting.
Weaving was always easier, I'd keep a weave in for at least 6 weeks, cos I would normally pull it back into one after it started to look busted.
I plan to get a full weave within 2 weeks, I dont know if I can wait till then to get my relaxer though.

I have to call my hairdresser, cos I just started using the ORS Olive Oil kit and I dont know if she'd be cool with me taking that in for her to perm my hair with.

Continue giving me the info

I cannot stretch for that very reason.

I get no breakage for weeks and then, always when I have a certain amount of new growth, I get breakage.

I would not do a protein treatment, though. At least, for me, a treatment like Aphogee or the one I use, Emergencee, would not do anything but make it worse. I can only speak for myself, by after protein treatments, I have to go concentrate on rebalancing my moisture levels which is the last thing I need to do when I have lot of newgrowth.

But that is just me.

I wish that I could do those long stretches that others do. I just don't like seeing breakage - it is just too depressing. :ohwell:

If your hair is coming out from the roots, it might be something internal. Are you under a lot of stress? Are you taking any medications? How is your diet, etc.? The breakage may be due to stretching but I don't think stretching should make your hair come out from the roots.

I'm currently on week 10 of stretching, and my hair is shedding also. But it's not extreme.

The first and only time that I stretched last year, was for 14 weeks---and I didn't have nearly as much shedding that time as I am now. Some days I didn't shed at all!

I realized that the only thing that I'm not doing now, that I did then was the condition washes. When I stretched for 14 weeks I did co-washes every other day---and sometimes daily!! I'm sure that's what kept me from shedding as much.
Now, I only wash about every 4 days.

I even did the Emergencee treatment with no cap a few weeks ago, and it didn't stop the shedding and slight breakage.

l'm going to start my co-washes up again to help me make it through this month!

Have you ever done co-washes regularly? Maybe that will help...

For some ppl. stretching is not the way to go. If your hair is breaking a lot, there is no point in stretching because you'll just end up with broken short hairs interspersed in your long hair.

i had the same problem when I stretched 3 1/2 -4 months. i had alot of long strands, to the point I thought where ever those hairs came from I hasd to have a bald spot but I never seen bald spot. Any way my mistake was spraying w/ sta sof fro sometimes 2x a day and brushing over my hair instead of combing thru it when I'd bun it , well it had tangled so bad that when I washed it alot of those strands were coming.So for me I think it may of been the brushing over hair not combing thru which caused tangling,which caused breakage. Cause many years ago during pregnacy I would not do a retouch during the whole pregnacy. I can't remember if I'd wait til after 6 wks check up or right after I was well enough to retouch my own hair. All I'd do during the pregnacy was wash it ( I don't remember how often ,but I know it wasn't more than 1x a week or 2x week) condition( never deep condition,cause I didn't know about it and wasn't deep into my hair,like I'm trying to be now) while my hair was still damp I 'd slick hair back in ponytail bun w/ ampro gel ( black/brown gel) and I'd rewet daily and if I needed to I"d reapply gel. I know eewww. but that's what I did, I may of had some minor breakage don't remember, but my hair sure was long like past bra strap. i can't say it was all
the gel/pregnacy maybe both. Sorry for the long postb but this was my experience.

could it be because of the colder weather? Just my experience, stretching a relaxer is a little harder to do in cold weather versus warm weather.

I stretched for 14 weeks. The hair was thick and crazy and I starting having a fight with the textures around week 10, then that craziness with my scalp just THROBBING! I also know that when I went back and checked my diary,I noticed I wasn't getting nearly as much moisture as I do in the spring/summer/fall months.

I needed to stretch longer but i couldn't wait anymore. Not that I was seeing breakage but I was seeing much more shedding than I would have liked (and big thick strands too!) Turned out I just needed to go ahead and relax.

This whole thing is a science project This next stretch I will be trying to make it to mid or end of end of july because it will be much warmer and I'll be drenching my head daily.

-A

I dont know if I can go the next two weeks without a relaxer, my hair looks terrible.
I'm going to try but I think I may just as well get a touch-up this weekend. And just start all over again.
I really appreciate the responses.

trinidarkie1 said:
Then ORS relaxer it is this weekend!

Off topic but:
I used ORS to do some corrective relaxing. That was my 1st time using it.

Do you find that there is not enough neutralizing shampoo in the box?

I was just using it for relax one underprocessed section, but I was thinking that if I had done a full touchup, that was not enough shampoo to make me feel comfortable.

I could just be heavy handed and a little too obsessive, but is is enough for you?

HoneyDew said:
Off topic but:
I used ORS to do some corrective relaxing. That was my 1st time using it.

Do you find that there is not enough neutralizing shampoo in the box?

I was just using it for relax one underprocessed section, but I was thinking that if I had done a full touchup, that was not enough shampoo to make me feel comfortable.

I could just be heavy handed and a little too obsessive, but is is enough for you?

yes it's enough for me. I try to rinse as thoroughly as possible before applying the Neutralizing shampoo. I made sure to use the entire bottle though. What I remember is that the first rinse really wont get anything out, so I use less - more as I shampoo.

Concerning the weather; When I comb my hair through, regardless of how moist the new growth is, I can feel the comb tugging against the few strands when I comb through. The length of the strands worries me, because I do not really have long hair and the part of my hair that's breaking is the shortest (the middle) and the hardest to grow properly.

I'm 4b and my first attempt to stretch from 6 to 10 weeks without braids was too big a jump, I broke down at 8 weeks and touched up because of the shedding, itching and problems managing the two textures. After that, I decided to increase my stretch time 1 week at a time for each subsequent touchup and I can now go up to 14 weeks, no problems.

My secret -- minimize manipulation as much as possible between washes. I would notice, particularly after week 7 that whenever I tried to style, comb or "do" my dry hair, it would shed and break at greater rate no matter how much I oiled or moisturized, so I started doing buns and other low maintenace styles post week 7 to avoid manipulating every day. If I want to wear down, I would NOT comb, brush or blend the two textures and just moisturize and manipulate the relaxed section only -- this way, ends look great (swingy and bouncy) and no shedding or breakage whatsoever; however, I had to learn to be comfortable that entire hair not bone straight. I now kinda love those last few weeks before relaxing because my new growth is so thick and healthy (and itchy!) and the shrinkage awesome, but my relaxed section which is most of my hair after all, looks fabulous and I'm always amazed when I get compliments on my hair those last weeks before relaxing!

I wash once and week and detangle when hair is completely saturated with condish. I also set aside more time for wash days the longer I'm post relaxer because the two textures become more and more difficult to manage and I need more time to detangle. Took me a while to understand that each week post relaxer require a slightly different strategy for managing my hair, but I slowly learned to add that extra 20 to 30 minutes each week for "detangling time" and slowly learned to leave my new growth alone in between washes.

Long post, but hope it helps . . .

This helps..
I dont have anything NEAR bouncy nice ends :lol:
I plait my hair into a french braid and use a hair pin to tuck in the end.

the difference in the textures is amazing.

Just like me, stretching may not be the thing for you :( . If you want to continue to stretch I would use a poo/con combo that contains protein AND moisture. Such as ORS Replenishing Pak and some kind of good Shampoo (NTM). If that doesn't work I would say relax. Sounds to me like the breakage is coming from handling two tectures of hair:perplexed

qtgirl said:
For some ppl. stretching is not the way to go. If your hair is breaking a lot, there is no point in stretching because you'll just end up with broken short hairs interspersed in your long hair.

I agree with this...not everyone can stretch for a long period of time...I know that i can't go any longer than 14 weeks...if I do my hair would tangle up badly and i would get breakage...even if I do co-washes...Just listen to your hair...if it's breaking I would relax.

Oh I had wrote sooo much that I forgot to say that w/ the 3 1/2- 4 month stretch and the breakage I saw once I washed ,I was scared to retouch but that next week I went on retouched it and there wasn't as much breakage as I thought I was going to have.

by 12 weeks my hair growth is too tough to comb through and the poor hair that meets at the demarcation is practically ripped out by my wide tooth comb. i think its a fact that when you have a substancial amount of growth that some breakage is inevitable. it seems to be worrying you though, so try and lessen it b4 u relax, u want you hair to be very strong b4 u relax otherwise the problem will comb back soo nafter your retouch.

i see you use MNT, maybe give that a rest, and the shampoo...MNT builds up on the hair...have u clarified lately? use a hydrating line such as keracare hydrating poo and humecto, detangle b4 washing (comb back) and wash under the shower... use a moisturizing leave in (keracare is VERY GOOD) use a boar brush to slick back when wet/damp, into a pony. place your pony into a baggy OVERNIGHT, remove. then add you daily moisturiser and "scrunch in" wait till the hair is dry (shouldn't take long as the hair has drank all the excess during the night) and tuck it under and clip. try doing this for a week. it will really help!

When you stretch relaxers you have to use shampoos and conditioners specifically designed to moisturize and detangle the hair. Nexxus Therappee and Humectress are really good for doing that. Also, a mix of water and pure glycerine is extremely good at softening the new growth, or you can use products like sta-sof-fro or scurl - the only problem with those products is that they have a small amount of protein in them, so it can build up over time.

simone103 said:
When you stretch relaxers you have to use shampoos and conditioners specifically designed to moisturize and detangle the hair. Nexxus Therappee and Humectress are really good for doing that. Also, a mix of water and pure glycerine is extremely good at softening the new growth, or you can use products like sta-sof-fro or scurl - the only problem with those products is that they have a small amount of protein in them, so it can build up over time.

Co-signing re: using products that moisturize and detangle. I am a nexxus junkie and my HG products are:

therappe, humectress, headdress (weekly maintenance)
emergencee, keraphix, aloe rid (periodic special treatment)
keracare humecto (completely protein free moisturizing condish)

simone103 said:
Neroli said:
Co-signing re: using products that moisturize and detangle. I am a nexxus junkie and my HG products are:

therappe, humectress, headdress (weekly maintenance)
emergencee, keraphix, aloe rid (periodic special treatment)
keracare humecto (completely protein free moisturizing condish)

Another Nexxus junkie co-signing! I also agree with Neroli's technique when stretching.
Neroli said:
I'm 4b and my first attempt to stretch from 6 to 10 weeks without braids was too big a jump, I broke down at 8 weeks and touched up because of the shedding, itching and problems managing the two textures. After that, I decided to increase my stretch time 1 week at a time for each subsequent touchup and I can now go up to 14 weeks, no problems.

My secret -- minimize manipulation as much as possible between washes. I would notice, particularly after week 7 that whenever I tried to style, comb or "do" my dry hair, it would shed and break at greater rate no matter how much I oiled or moisturized, so I started doing buns and other low maintenace styles post week 7 to avoid manipulating every day. If I want to wear down, I would NOT comb, brush or blend the two textures and just moisturize and manipulate the relaxed section only -- this way, ends look great (swingy and bouncy) and no shedding or breakage whatsoever; however, I had to learn to be comfortable that entire hair not bone straight. I now kinda love those last few weeks before relaxing because my new growth is so thick and healthy (and itchy!) and the shrinkage awesome, but my relaxed section which is most of my hair after all, looks fabulous and I'm always amazed when I get compliments on my hair those last weeks before relaxing!

I wash once and week and detangle when hair is completely saturated with condish. I also set aside more time for wash days the longer I'm post relaxer because the two textures become more and more difficult to manage and I need more time to detangle. Took me a while to understand that each week post relaxer require a slightly different strategy for managing my hair, but I slowly learned to add that extra 20 to 30 minutes each week for "detangling time" and slowly learned to leave my new growth alone in between washes.

Long post, but hope it helps .

Last edited:
trinidarkie1 said:
I am 10 weeks (as of saturday) post relaxer. My hair breaking in a bad way.
I wear a silk scarf at night, completely moisturized. Treatments every week. But I am seeing my hair just coming out, sometimes from the roots even, or long strands coming out, not just ends or little pieces, it looks like the entire length of my hair.
I'm wondering if I should just stick to a 6 - 8 week grow out and then do my touch-ups, I fear that pushing it to 4 months is going to cause severe damage.

Anyone have any ideas? similar stories? solutions?
10 weeks isn't bad. Just go ahead and do it.

Lady_Lioness said:
I agree with this...not everyone can stretch for a long period of time...I know that i can't go any longer than 14 weeks...if I do my hair would tangle up badly and i would get breakage...even if I do co-washes...Just listen to your hair...if it's breaking I would relax.

I use to think that way. I could never strtech and would get touchups every 6 weeks. If I didn't, I would see breakage and shedding.

Its just taking it one day at a time experimenting.

Key to stretching
1.Moisture
2. no Manipulation of the new growth area.
When I'm stretched past 12 weeks I do not even comb my new growth. It lays flat and smooth with moisturizer and scarf. As long as its flat, don't need to run a comb thru it.
To me Hair is at its most vunerable during strteches, u gotta treat it like a newborn baby:baby2:

Candy_C said:
by 12 weeks my hair growth is too tough to comb through and the poor hair that meets at the demarcation is practically ripped out by my wide tooth comb. i think its a fact that when you have a substancial amount of growth that some breakage is inevitable. it seems to be worrying you though, so try and lessen it b4 u relax, u want you hair to be very strong b4 u relax otherwise the problem will comb back soo nafter your retouch.

i see you use MNT, maybe give that a rest, and the shampoo...MNT builds up on the hair...have u clarified lately? use a hydrating line such as keracare hydrating poo and humecto, detangle b4 washing (comb back) and wash under the shower... use a moisturizing leave in (keracare is VERY GOOD) use a boar brush to slick back when wet/damp, into a pony. place your pony into a baggy OVERNIGHT, remove. then add you daily moisturiser and "scrunch in" wait till the hair is dry (shouldn't take long as the hair has drank all the excess during the night) and tuck it under and clip. try doing this for a week. it will really help!

Oh lord! More money again! :lol:

sylver2 said:
I use to think that way. I could never strtech and would get touchups every 6 weeks. If I didn't, I would see breakage and shedding.

Its just taking it one day at a time experimenting.

Key to stretching
1.Moisture
2. no Manipulation of the new growth area.
When I'm stretched past 12 weeks I do not even comb my new growth. It lays flat and smooth with moisturizer and scarf. As long as its flat, don't need to run a comb thru it.
To me Hair is at its most vunerable during strteches, u gotta treat it like a newborn baby:baby2:

Ok, I'm 9 weeks post, first stretch ever, and yesterdday started wearing a baseball cap cuz I'm just at a loss. There is breakage, I mean just little pieces of relxed hair everywhere!!!

When you say no manipulation do you mean not even massaging moisturizer into new growth/scalp? Going to salon on Friday (can't wait!). Last night did OO/CO pre-poo (for like 2 hours) then MT deep moisture wash, followed by ORS mayo (since I started breaking a couple days ago) and THEN topped off with ORS replenish pak overnight. I just parted my hair in two french braids and called it a night.

Today rinsed out and applied WGO on scalp and ends. How do I avaoid manipulating the new growth until Friday? Not meaning to be thick here, bbut I honestly don't understand, especially since my hair length is earlobe, what to do, or how to style my hair. :(

Back