Grey hair (I know this was discussed...)

BklynHeart

What is the best product for covering grey hairs? And should I stay safe and use a semi-permanent or permanent?
And Natural Instincts; has anyone used it?

I love Natural Instincts. It is the only color I use. The darker the hair coloring you use the longer it stays and the better it covers the grey. Also makes your hair seem healthier than it was at first.

sistawithsumthin said:
I love Natural Instincts. It is the only color I use. The darker the hair coloring you use the longer it stays and the better it covers the grey. Also makes your hair seem healthier than it was at first.

Sista, did you use it right after you relaxed or waited for a week or 2?
And did you condition after coloring?

Allandra and HoneyDew, did you condition after coloring as well?

BklynHeart said:

bumping for an answer and a question. In addition to the question above, is texture n tones a rinse? I'm really looking for something safe to get rid of these greys and exploring all options except permanent color chemical dyes.

I use L'Oreal. I use either ColorSpa Moisture Actif (non-permanent, washes out in 28 shampoos), which works amazingly well in coloring gray hair. or ColorGems (demi-permanent). For me L'Oreal is the best hair color product on the market for covering my gray hair.

I do not relax my hair at all. I always deep condition after coloring.

For me, Texture N Tones did not give me lasting results in covering my gray. I will qualify that by saying that I did not use brown/black shades of this product because the rest of my hair is colored red/auburn. They say that darker shades color gray better.

BklynHeart said:

Yes, i condition. the kit actually includes a conditioner, and the instructions tell you to condition afterwards. I also use my own conditioner afterwards.

godzooki said:
bumping for an answer and a question. In addition to the question above, is texture n tones a rinse? I'm really looking for something safe to get rid of these greys and exploring all options except permanent color chemical dyes.

tex and tones is not a rinse. you cannot use it on the same days as relaxing. You have to wait at least a week.

Bigen covers greys if you leave it in long enough. Thar's what i used to use.

I just switched to textures and tones because of its conditioning ingredients. Bigen seems like shoe polish in comparison. (just my opinion, Bigen ladies). I also like that Tex and Tones is easier to apply.

I only have 2 or 3 greay so i am not sure about coverage when there are lots of greys. I can say though that the Tex and Tones seems to have a deeper color for me and the greys that I have were colored better instead of looking like highlights, which is what the Bigen did if i did not leave it in long enough.

I would suggest looking into henna. I have greys also and they covered them nicely. It all depends on the color you want. If reddish brown or black is okay with you then this may be a solution.

HTH

I wanted to try the henna but I want to try to cover my greys before the 15th for a family event and I'm not sure I'll be able to get the supplies via mail by then. Not to mention I'm looking at the prices. I don't do $ for fedx. They have hennalucent at Sallys but I saw on the other thread that it was recommended to only use body art quality. I was just going to give up and try a temp or rinse. :(

BklynHeart said:

Yes, always.

Textures and Tones did nothing for me, but I have about 30% grey hair :eek:
I use L'Oreal Casting Color Spa, I don't know if it exists all over the world. I wish I could just take a pill and get my hair color back!

FlowerHair said:
Textures and Tones did nothing for me, but I have about 30% grey hair :eek:
I use L'Oreal Casting Color Spa, I don't know if it exists all over the world. I wish I could just take a pill and get my hair color back!

I know! Certain B Vitamins from B complex are supposed to help delay graying. I am getting somewhat grayer in the front ......I'll never know how much more it would be without the B complex though, cause I take them every day, just in case (well for other things too) but that gray information I read stuck out in my mind. its worth a harmless try......can only be good for you anyway. I'm about to do a rinse myself though......ugh.

I used Clairol Color Compliments twice. It's a demi-permanant color. I liked it but it has peroxide and you need to mix it with a prompter/booster.

I tried Bigen for the first time about 3 weeks ago. So far I'm pleased with the results. I have a lot of grey in my front and crown. Hardly any grey in the back.

BklynHeart said:

I don't relax but I use the conditioner that comes with it that you are supposed to use weekly. I wish I could purchase it separately and use it more often.

godzooki said:
I wanted to try the henna but I want to try to cover my greys before the 15th for a family event and I'm not sure I'll be able to get the supplies via mail by then. Not to mention I'm looking at the prices. I don't do $ for fedx. They have hennalucent at Sallys but I saw on the other thread that it was recommended to only use body art quality. I was just going to give up and try a temp or rinse. :(

Hi Godzooki,

I ordered body quality henna from mehandi.com and got it in less than a week. I think the shipping charge was $4. I ordered 100 grams of henna and 100 grams of indigo b/c I wanted my greys to be dark brown, not coppery red. The woman that works there is very helpful. I called her with my questions and she answered all of them. I previously used Rainbow henna and it was the worst! It made my hair incredibly hard. The body quality henna made my hair very soft and relaxed the curl a little. I would definitely recommend it over anything I've ever used from the stores. Good luck!

I used Bigen for the very first time a week ago, and I'm very pleased. I only used it on my edges where I had a few strands of grey hair though, I conditioned afterwards and my hair felt good. I've pooed since then & my color is still there (for some reason I thought it would fade). HTH

Back