Green Tea Rinse Or Black Tea Rinse?

trueimage.

What's the difference? Which one is more beneficial? I wan't to try a tea rinse but not sure which one ...

Black/green tea rinses have been purported to really grow the hair but it shrank my natural hair so badly a few years ago that I had to texlax it just to get a comb through it. I will never do it again :nono:.

Good luck trying it. I believe others experiences have been somewhat different from mine but one or two complained about the same thing happening to them. Everyone's hair is different so I can't tell you not to at least try it. Maybe you can do a test run using a small section of your hair and see how it responds to the tea.

Last edited:
A further note on the teas. It's the caffeine that helps with hair shed and speed of growth in the teas. Black brewed regular (not Caffeine-free) coffee is said to help the same way but I will never put this stuff on my hair/head again.

I prefer black over green, but Ive gotten to the point of mixing them when I do rinse. I would recommend doing research, but stick to caffeinated teas for shedding and growth. Coffee is good too.

@Aggie, what step did you incorporate it into your wash day? I always do it before deep conditioning. After is no bueno for me.

I like both, sometimes I will steep both green and black tea bags together. I just started back with tea rinses. When I was relaxed I did them all the time. Normally I rinse with tea after washing my hair, I leave the tea in and then put my DC on top of my tea'd up hair.

I prefer black over green, but Ive gotten to the point of mixing them when I do rinse. I would recommend doing research, but stick to caffeinated teas for shedding and growth. Coffee is good too.

@Aggie, what step did you incorporate it into your wash day? I always do it before deep conditioning. After is no bueno for me.
I did them before DCing as well because I didn't want the smell of the tea left in my hair.

If I was fully relaxed, I would reconsider, but that tea made my hair so hard, it was distressing trying to soften it up again. The only way I could see that happening again is if I mix it with a slippery herb like fenugreek or slippery elm.

Now this combination just might work. I rarely have excessive hair shed anymore so it hasn't been a must for me to use it. I believe MSM supps are helping with that.

Last edited:
I did them before DCing as well because I didn't want the smell of the tea left in my hair.

If I was fully relaxed, I would reconsider, but that tea made my hair so hard, it was distressing trying to soften it up again. The only way I could see that happening again is if I mix it with a slippery herb like fenugreek or slippery elm.

Now this combination just might work. I rarely have excessive hair shed anymore so it hasn't been a must for me to use it. I believe MSM supps are helping with that.

I see. You probably didn't need it. Black tea is pretty strengthening.

Back