Greatest Challenge Stretching Relaxers????

Armyqt

For all the ladies on the stretching relaxer challenge, what is the biggest obstacle you face as the time passes and how are you dealing with it? Right now my I'm 13 weks post relaxer and my biggest challenge is getting my new growth to stay slick when I do a ponytail. I find that If I set my hair by sitting under the dryer so the base is somewhat dry, It's easier to handle in the next few days. However, if I wash and air dry overnight in the ponytail, the newgrowth seems to puff up more. What I do to combat is is use a serum, a smoothing balm and a leave in to get the newgrowth to lay as much as possible. I'm not experiencing any breakage or extra shedding. I actually think I could go longer than 16 weeks IF my new growth would behave. So what are your challenges?

I am with you on that! Taming the new growth is a challenge. I just went 12 weeks between relaxers which was a true accomplishment for me because I am usually at the salon 6-8 weeks post relaxer.

I found that if I used a heavy moisturizer on the new growth while a little damp I had pretty good results. I smoothed my hair back into a ponytail and tied it down with a silk scarf.

I am taking msm and biotin and that made my new growth managable. I was so suprised by that. I didn't have any breakage or shedding I was so proud of myself. I still condition washed every other day. Combing required a huge amount of patience but I made it.

Keeping my edges looking decent is my biggest challenge. My hair is most coarse around the hairline.i do not mind the rest of the new growth cos i do braidouts. I have a shedding issue but thats something that i am trying to remedy.

I am not in the challenge, but I am 6 weeks post relaxer and my edges are beginning to scream! My hair is very coarse around the hairline too. I've been using Elasta QP Glaze on the edges, then tying down with a satin scarf and they have been cooperating so far. I don't know how far I'll go until the next relaxer. I used to relax every 4 weeks!

Right now I am almost 10 weeks post relaxer and my biggest problem is detangling. My natural hair is tightly coiled so the hairs encircle themselves around eachother at the base and then the relaxed part of the hair gets lost and doesn't know what to do so it just tangles up.

[ QUOTE ]
asha said:
Right now I am almost 10 weeks post relaxer and my biggest problem is detangling. My natural hair is tightly coiled so the hairs encircle themselves around eachother at the base and then the relaxed part of the hair gets lost and doesn't know what to do so it just tangles up.
lachen70.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to picture this, but I can't. Is your new growth pulling the long strand of hair down to the root?

I Condition wash, or wash my hair at night. I comb it out in the shower (under the spray) and I place it in a ponytail right after I comb it. Then I apply a light oil to the edges and the ends and tie it up and go to sleep. The new growth is smooth when I wake up.

(I am 14 weeks post relaxer, and I have about 4 inches of new growth at this point)

I always go 8 weeks between relaxers. I've tried almost everything under the sun to tame the unruly new growth. But when I reach 6 weeks post, my hair really start to break off at the new growth. I've tried so many serums, conditoners, leave-ins, but it doesn't work. That's really an accomplishment to go more that 8 weeks without a relaxer. I let my daughter go 12 weeks until her next relaxer, she has a better grade of hair than me.

My greatest challenge is trying to find a decent looking protective style. I recently got cornrows w/synthetic hair and so far my problem is solved. I just take care of my cornrows and keep them moisterized daily.

Ladies, try a soft hold gel like Jam to smooth down your edges, u can also spray water or a leave in before u apply the gel to your edges. I use to go 4months bet. relaxers for years and this has always worked
smile.gif

Armyqt, as my new growth comes in the hair coils around itself and where the root is it forms a nice little coil similar to a pen spring. Its small groups of hair coiled around eachother. The relaxed hair is just sits there if i don't touch my hair but if I try to comb it I have to be careful when uncoiling the roots because the relaxed part will tangle. Its hard to explain.

OK, I understand now. You should try spraying Sta Sof Fro on the roots which will help soften and detangle the root, hopefullt leading to less tangles and breakage.

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
Poetess, what's your hair type? And can you please share what products you use.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not quite sure what my hair type is. I thought it was 4a/b, but the more it grows, the more unsure I am. I think it's 4a in the front along my hairline, and 3b (or c) everywhere else.

As far as products, for the conditioning washes, I either use Nexxus Humectress, or the Suave version, Pantine daily moisture renewal, or John Freda's new line for brunettes. I the matching shampoos for the above brands when I shampoo, once or twice a week.

For a leave in, I have an oil blend that I made with EVOO, Safflower oil, wheat germ oil, sweet almond oil and vitamin E oil. I just use a small amount, to seal in the moisture while my hair is wet. Since I wear my hair up, this is the only thing I put on my hair.

I've been trying to keep my routine as simple as possible, and this is working for me so far
smile.gif

I have been trying the relaxer challenge as well. My last relaxer was 3 weeks ago. My hair came out very underprocessed because the sodium hydroxide burned me so badly that the beautician could not even finish applying it, so my hair is very kinky. Since I have been using hairgasm.com (magic pack) products, my new growth feels totally different. I noticed a huge difference after only one week of use. My tight 4b coils are more relaxed and very soft and manageable, wherease my new growth was very hard before. It would just break off when I got to 4 weeks post relaxer and start to shed badly becaus it just got all tangled up.
Now, my hair just lays down after I rinse the conditioner out. I brush is very gently with my kinderbrush and it honestly falls into place. It doesn't even look kinky. I can't keep my hands out of the new growth because I am so amazed. I am thinking about cancelling my appointment for a relaxer/texturizer (scheduled 3 weeks from now) and trying to go even longer between touch ups.

Oddly enough...for me it's scalp massages. My last relaxer was December 19th...and I have a lot of new growth. When I do the massages...my hair becomes a tangled mess. When I comb in the shower after them...I lose more hair than usual. Coconut Oil has helped my new growth and edges to stay smooth though! It's my hair's best friend...next to distilled water.
smile.gif

Asha, I know exactly what you are talking about because my hair does the same thing. Detangling is my biggest problem when extending. I had alot of breakage this last time. I'm wondering if it's possible for us 4a's to even extend with excessive breakage??

I have to detangle in the shower that works the best, moisture daily, and no combing at the roots beyond that. I tie my hair down with a scarf - that tames my edges.

Biggest challenge is the crown area of my head. I guess it grows the fastest b/c it is ALWAYS the nappiest!!! It takes me atleast an hour to comb that 1 sec out. I condition and condition and condition it but it will NOT behave until the next relaxer is due. So the last couple of weeks before my relaxer is going to be put on I just find a decend looking "up" style, wear it that way and forget about combing it !

I can do 13 weeks with no breakage and just minimal shedding. The braid outs really blend in with the new growth although the coils do push my hair out more. I must really tie my braids down at night to keep the style lying closer to my head.

My biggest challenge was avoiding big knots in my hair. I relax every 6 months. What I have done to avoid big tangles are washing my hair in the shower and combing in sections as well as using the right products to detangle. This last time I went through the entire 6 months without any problems. Also to lay my new growth down I have to part my hair down the middle and coil the hair up and put a scrunchie over it on each side, then I combine the two sides together with another scrunchie. Then I put a silk scarf on until I get to work. I don't use any gels or anything just my pantene spray and loreal serum and my hair doesn't coil back up. It's definitely noticeable because of the waves from my new growth and then the straighter relaxed parts but it doesn't bother me as long as it's laid down.
smile.gif

My biggest challenge is detangling. I am 16 weeks post relaxer and am not sure if I will transition. I have no idea how much new growth I have.

I'm six weeks post relaxer and trying to hold out to 12. I went 9 weeks last time. I wear my hair in ponytails most of the time. I'm really loving the Suave Citrus Smoothie that Jade21 reviewed. It detangles really well. I just use it in the shower, rub it in to my roots then let it sit a few minutes while I wash the rest of me. Then I comb the conditioner through and rinse. Carefree Curl Gold oil free activator is good at softening newgrowth. So is the sta-sof-fro. I smooth my hair back with Long Aid Curl Activator Gel. I don't think I could make it with out my jherri curl juice
lachen70.gif

I am 13 weeks post relaxer I am trying to make it to 15 weeks first time.
Controlling my new growth is my biggest problem CO washes
and using sta so fro (first time) seems to be getting me thru.
I am not experiencing breakage or shedding because of the surge/sta fo fro combo.

Key largo, I love the SSF and CFC Gold activator too. I use them together for fixing my hair into a ponytail.

I am 12 weeks post relaxer and the shedding puts me in a bad mood. I dont have much trouble with my new growth, I wear buns and I dont even ATTEMPT to comb through it. MY new growth stays pretty smooth if I put on a scarf while my hair is wet.

How are you girls at 13 weeks or more, detangling your hair? Detangling is the hardest part for me. My hair is too fragile to comb while wet. But if I do it while it dry, it feels like I'm ripping my hair out!!

[ QUOTE ]
cece said:
How are you girls at 13 weeks or more, detangling your hair? Detangling is the hardest part for me. My hair is too fragile to comb while wet. But if I do it while it dry, it feels like I'm ripping my hair out!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Detangling under the shower head has helped me a great deal (thanks brickhouse for the suggestion). I have been doing this for a couple of weeks...and i'm losing less hair. I also bought a wide tooth seamless creative pro comb to help me out.

[ QUOTE ]
erica78 said:
[ QUOTE ]
cece said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Detangling under the shower head has helped me a great deal (thanks brickhouse for the suggestion). I have been doing this for a couple of weeks...and i'm losing less hair. I also bought a wide tooth seamless creative pro comb to help me out.

[/ QUOTE ]
How would I detangle using my shower head?

Next time you rinse your conditioner off, stand under the shower head with water spraying on your head and detangle with your wide tooth comb. The water helps with the detangling and makes it a lot easier.

Back