Great way to protect hair during a retouch

Donda

Neutralizing Shampoo
clap.gif

I put neutralizing shampoo on my already relaxed hair as a protection, so that it will not become over processed. If by mistake I smooth the relaxer past the new growth and it gets on the already relaxed hair the shampoo will automaticly neutralize it
look.gif

- Once my hair is relaxed I rinse the relaxer out
- Re-apply the neutralizing shampooed, lathered and rinsed
- Once again I applied the neutralizer and let it stay for 10 minutes to make sure the chemical process has stopped. This is a very important step, if you don't make sure the chemical process has stopped(minimum 5 minutes) your hair will begin to shed!
shocked.gif

Hope this helps
smile.gif

Great tip. I use protecto from Keracare and I normally use a neutralizing shampoo on my first wash after my retouch.

That's an interesting idea... I usually use lots of olive oil on my hair for the same reason.

I do this too but I mix my neutralizing shampoo with QH cholesterol and slather all over the relaxed portion of my hair....especially the ends.

That's a great idea. I'll be sure to remember this when I relax again. Thanks! Oh and welcome to the board
smile.gif

<font color="purple">That's a great idea. Next time when I do a touchup, which will be early summer, I'll try your method. I recently did a touchup a few weeks ago. And my relaxer kit has 2 packets of the protectant lotion to keep my previously relaxed hair from overprocessing. I used one, and will use the other for my next touchup. Keep coming up with new ideas for us to take into consideration. Toodles. </font>

Hey Ladies ,
Just wanted to let you guys know I just purchased this proctectant called Vitale hair foundation, it is especially for relaxed and before you put any chemicals on it. My cousin uses it and said she has good results with it. I am getting a touch up tommorow morning at the salon so I will be putting this on before they put the relaxer on my hair. Just thought you ladies might be intersted in knowing about this product.

The last time I relaxed I tried to use neutralizing shampoo as the protectant, my hair turned out so DRY, I believe that I should have mixed it with my cholesterol or just stuck to my cholesterol in the first place
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ellis said:
Hey Ladies ,
Just wanted to let you guys know I just purchased this proctectant called Vitale hair foundation, it is especially for relaxed and before you put any chemicals on it. My cousin uses it and said she has good results with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know where can I buy this product?

Be careful as neutralizing shampoo strips the hair. It s trying to neutralize the chemicals in the relaxer, therefore if there is no relaxer in your hair it will dry it out or worst still strip it.

Lonei - do you mean it works like a clarifying shampoo or do you mean it makes the relaxed hair revert?

Isis, it doesnt make the relaxed hair revert but it is trying to bring the PH level back down, thus if the PH level of the already relaxed hair has not been altered, it will dry it out. For example, Profective have brought out this new neutralizing mousse which you smooth on the hair, leave for a few seconds and rinse out. They state (and so do many stylists) that neutralizing shampoos used for longer, or more than necessary can cause more harm than good in that you may loose an unnecessary amount of hair, sorry, I didnt make it clear, thats what i meant by 'strip' the hair.

Hum that's interesting.....................

If so what about most hair conditioners that say they are "ph balanced" usually fall between 4.4-6.5ph (nuetralizing shamppo is 5.5) Would they also cause dryness? Example Keracare,Pantene, and others are all within that ph range would they also cause problems?

Thanks Lonei for the explanation and clarification. I understand now.

Thank you too Donda for starting this thread. It's bringing up some interesting points and ideas.
smile.gif

Yesterday I purchased Affirm Fiberguard Protecto. It's a chemical block designed specifically for avoiding overprocessing through overlapping. You apply it to the previously relaxed hair only to pervent the chemical from damaging the hair. I didn't even know this existed until yesterday. I'll be using this when I relax next weekend.

I was at a hair store that sells Fiberguard Protecto (Affirm), I couldn't buy it thou without a license if only I stayed in school(yeah I'm a drop out LOL). But from reading the back of the bottle it had simular chemicals that neutralizing shampoo does, ofcourse I'm sure they have a little more in it like conditioners. So the next time I use the neutralizer I will also use a leave in conditioner spray (braid spray/or Pantene) then apply the neutralizer.

The ph factor is what makes the biggest difference in preventing/halting the chemical process. The bottle said the ph factor in Fiberguard is a 4, neutralizing shampoo is 4.5-5.5 slightly higher.

It also said to be careful not to put it on new growth becuase it would prevent the relaxing process. So make sure with the neutralizing shampoo, to put it on the new growth only which if you wait 8-10 weeks like most of us, that is at least a inch-inch 1/2 from you scalp.
smile.gif

Back