Great video of 4B hair being straightened...

Nice.. but that stylist was definitely a little scissor happy... That's at least 2 months of growth...

I didn't look like she cut too much to me. The girls ends were bleached, so it's likely that they were damaged.

seemed like a lot of heat. she flat ironed it straight then she went over each section to curl it. must of been 4-5 passes per section in total.

Time is not too far from me in Brooklyn and I've never seen many video reviews, only reviews saying their prices are high (everything is high in this area though). I am guessing the wash, blowout and style was $100.

Her blow drying tip is interesting. My blowout comes out more sleek when I dry from the roots down to the ends (blow ends last) but I do not use a comb/brush, just tension.

I guess, if using a brush/comb, it makes sense to blow dry from the ends to the roots but I worry about too much heat getting to my ends from the blow dryer.

seemed like a lot of heat. she flat ironed it straight then she went over each section to curl it. must of been 4-5 passes per section in total.

My hair texture is looser than hers and this is how my stylist does my hair. My hair curls right back up when water hits it. As long as you're not doing it all the time her hair will not be effected by the heat. GOOD stylists usually know how much heat your hair can take to make it bone straight. Her hair was very kinky.

Not too thrilled about how much heat was used. Especially with all the passes and other tools. :nono:

But hey, it does look very nice though.

virtuenow I prefer my Minglide (came with my Maxiglide). The Miniglide seems to get my roots straighter than the babyliss which I think is a product of the construction. I can get closer to my scalp with my Miniglide.

I guess I'm the only one that didn't like the technique at all. I am the woman's exact hair twin and I use way less heat for the same results. Now preserving the style... that's a different story. My hair starts to puff up within 5-6 days. I wonder how long her hair will last? Maybe it'll last a lot longer because of all of the heat. Idk.

But I do believe the trim was definitely needed. I feel like the stylist could have taken off even more because the bleached part was very damaged. I think the stylist didn't want to take off too much because she knew she would be able to camouflage some of the damage by straightening it with all of that heat.

Last edited:
@guyanesesista
I was pondering that myself, so I did some research...I think it might be an "Edgestick", which is a like a curling iron barrel encased in a double sided comb.

http://rollingout.com/lifestyle/bol...ts-the-edgestick-styling-hot-comb-on-the-map/

I may have to invest in one of these after I look for some reviews...

The tool she used looks like my babyliss root straightener: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hej1UDbEIX8

I need to buy one of these.

eta: Yay!!!!! I learned how to multiquote.

Back