Great Transitioning and Natural Hair Styles for the Office

Country gal

and/or family members until they get use to our natural hair. :D Enchantment asked for a spinoff, I got to listen to one of my fav modes. I know when I first transitioned, I looked half crazy because I didn't know how to wear my hair. I started off with twists until some more new growth would come in. I would just cut off the relaxed ends as time went on. I also wore rollersets to hide some of the new growth. Check out my album so you can see the transitioning style I have sported. http://public.fotki.com/Countrygal75/

My favorite style is twistout. I twist my hair in big twists with barry fletcher twist like this (it is the bomb) and I then untwist my hair the next morning. It gives my hair more of a wavy, wild look. One of my natural co-workers would wear her hair in corn rows going to the side and then it was put into a bun.

Can others chime in on good hairstyle for offices and more conservative family members?

Last edited:
I would say two strand twists, braidouts with perm rods on the ends,and buns. These styles should be able to be done at any phase of transitioning. Another option is getting braids,cornrows going into an curly phony pony. A transitioner could also str8ten occassionally.hth

Thanks for starting this topic CG!!

I need ideassssss....lol...

I think one of the things that helped me was getting my hair cut so it had some sort of shape. I take the cheap way out and do saturdays or great clips, but it makes a difference and makes my hair looked more polished, especially doing wash n go's.

I'm lucky, I work at a call center where folx have 60 different body piercings and tattoos, mohawks, white guys with dreds, hair colors that range from black, red, blue, green, orange, yellow, pink and everything in between. My twists, puffs and wash n goes are nothing, but I'm style challenged and I want my hair to look polished. Your twists look wonderful, btw. What are the ingredients for the barry fletcher product? How long do you normally keep your twists in? Mine unravel after 4-5 days.

Great thread, all I wear is buns with my phony pony(check my fotki) I wear it high I wear it low! I wear it high I wear it low! You get the picture, and I'm so bored I don't wear my hair out and I'm dieing here, I would love to here some suggestions.

Country gal said:
and/or family members until they get use to our natural hair. :D Enchantment asked for a spinoff, I got to listen to one of my fav modes. I know when I first transitioned, I looked half crazy because I didn't know how to wear my hair. I started off with twists until some more new growth would come in. I would just cut off the relaxed ends as time went on. I also wore rollersets to hide some of the new growth. Check out my album so you can see the transitioning style I have sported. http://public.fotki.com/Countrygal75/

My favorite style is twistout. I twist my hair in big twists with barry fletcher twist like this (it is the bomb) and I then untwist my hair the next morning. It gives my hair more of a wavy, wild look. One of my natural co-workers would wear her hair in corn rows going to the side and then it was put into a bun.

Can others chime in on good hairstyle for offices and more conservative family members?

I love the way your hair looks in your siggy, is that flat ironed or rollerset???? You have really nice thick hair too:) .

I texlax and stretch for a long time and I was natural in the past. I think a good style for transitioners is the flexirod set with a headband.
Ex: Flexirod Set with 4B roots and relaxed ends
Hair1-200731204.jpg

Another style that I loved when I was natural was two corn rows with a side swept bang. I used a roller on the bang. I cornrowed at night and put on a scarf to get my hair to lay down flat. The bang added femininity to the style and made it a little more grown up:)
Ex: 2 Cornrows
cornrowbaby.jpg

Another great style is to cornrow your hair back to the crown and wear the back out underneath a snood. This style is so fly with some earings. I may try this style over the weekend:D

Ex: Snood Back
snood.JPG

Ex: Cornrow front
cornrow-crown-front.jpg

Another hairstyle you can do (if your not opposed to flatironing) is to flatiron then pin curl. I used a pass from bootcamp and tried this out myself and it turned out great and I also got tons of complitments.

i love the 2 strand twist. it really does give a romantic loose wave look. i meant to do that last nite but already wrapped my hair:p

I wear a lot of ponytails/buns, etc. part on the side or no part . Once in a while I do a french braid. I may try the twist/braid out and see how that comes out.

Nonie said:
I'm gonna cheat and give you the link to a similar discussion but which focussed more on natural hair (not transitioning):
Natural Hair and Conservative/Corporate Workplace

I even wore this braid-out on twists to work one day. (Twists were cornrowed while damp and then cornrows undone when dry.)

Thanks for this link for naturals!!!

I'm getting a little bored with my WNG puff. But, my hair is not long enough for a ponytail. So what options do I have???

Ms_Twana said:
Thanks for this link for naturals!!!

I'm getting a little bored with my WNG puff. But, my hair is not long enough for a ponytail. So what options do I have???
- How about smoothing hair back and wearing a fake pony puff...or just or wearing a puff of your own
Day3Puffforhubbyspleasure-vi.jpg

- Or cornrows and puff (again fake or yours):
AnotherPuffDoMarch2007-vi.jpg

- Or you could do comb coils
- Or bantu knots

More ideas from Naturally You Magazine

trimbride said:
I love the way your hair looks in your siggy, is that flat ironed or rollerset???? You have really nice thick hair too:) .

I texlax and stretch for a long time and I was natural in the past. I think a good style for transitioners is the flexirod set with a headband.
Ex: Flexirod Set with 4B roots and relaxed ends
Hair1-200731204.jpg

Another style that I loved when I was natural was two corn rows with a side swept bang. I used a roller on the bang. I cornrowed at night and put on a scarf to get my hair to lay down flat. The bang added femininity to the style and made it a little more grown up:)
Ex: 2 Cornrows
cornrowbaby.jpg

Another great style is to cornrow your hair back to the crown and wear the back out underneath a snood. This style is so fly with some earings. I may try this style over the weekend:D

Ex: Snood Back
snood.JPG

Ex: Cornrow front
cornrow-crown-front.jpg

Thank you. I flat ironed my hair but it didn't last. I like the flexirod with handband.

Thanks-enchantment- I usually twist it for a couple of days and let it go. When I twist it in small twists I usually leave it in for a week.

Back