Grease

I notice that when I use moisturizers alone my hair just sucks it dry but when I seal with hair grease on the hair it feels soooo much better. Is it ok to use grease on my hair like that I heard petroleum isn't good for the hair though but it calms my bushy hair down and makes it feel like theres something on it.

If it works for you, by all means do what makes your feel better. The avoidance of petroleum and mineral oil is mainly because it can clog your pores on your scalp.

There are several recent threads where some feel its better for them to use grease.

This is exactly how i use grease, for me my ends stay moistrized longer and it has really helped my retention, i don't care what any1 says it works for me, it's a staple and i'll never give it up!!!

Petroleum and mineral oil do not have the capacity to clog your pores. That's a myth.

Mineral oil

Clear, odorless oil derived from petroleum that is widely used in cosmetics because it rarely causes allergic reactions and it cannot become a solid and clog pores. Despite mineral oil’s association with petroleum and the hype that it is bad for skin, keep in mind that petroleum is a natural ingredient derived from the earth and that once it becomes mineral oil USP (cosmetics- and pharmaceutical-grade mineral oil), it has no resemblance to the original petroleum. Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; and Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that’s what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don’t suffocate skin! Moreover, mineral oil and petrolatum are known to be efficacious in wound healing, and are also among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40).

Petrolatum

Vaseline is pure petrolatum. For some unknown and unsubstantiated reason, petrolatum has attained a negative image in regard to skin care, despite solid research to the contrary. Topical application of petrolatum can help the skin’s outer layer recover from damage, reduce inflammation, and generally heal the skin (Source: Acta Dermato-Venereologica, November–December 2000, pages 412–415).

Source

I don't personally use grease because I do not have a reason to but as a child my mother used water, nexxus leave in and Blue Magic grease on my hair and my hair was LONG! My hair stopped growing when I started getting it pressed every week or two...so excessive heat, then not knowing how to take care of relaxers halted my retention...not hair grease.

Also "hair guru" chicoro seals her hair with vaseline and I believe her hair is WL so she hasn't had a problem using it either. Your hair journey is personal and its about doing what works for you! Everything is not for everybody!

After I seal with my Creamides/I apply a pomade to my ends..It works for me..

*Do what works for you.....

Happy Hair Growing!

Back