Gotta' Trim At A White Salon (!!!) New Pics (!!!)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Just wanted to share my experience at SuperCuts. This lady who was the manager there blowdried, flat ironed, and trimmed my hair for $24 and did a good job. She used Paul Mitchell products on my hair. She's had experience in an ethnic salon in the past. She was probably in her late 40's.

I'm so glad that I got a trim because my hair feels much better and it looks much thicker. I didn't have her curl it or anything so the pics you will see, my hair is just cut straight.

Thanks to webby and WesternEyes for the advice about getting a trim. I'm also going to take Tai's advice about doing a rollerset and then flat ironing my roots every two weeks with the Maxiglide (it's at the post office right now, I'm going to get it Saturday). So maybe I'll finally have some type a regime to follow. :grin:

Anyway, I can't wait to see how my hair progresses in the future. A lil' advice: if you have thin ends that look raggedy, please get a trim because it will allow your hair to grow healthier and look better in the long run. ;)

http://public.fotki.com/poohbear215/2005_pics/march_2005_pics/
Password: Jesus

Last edited:
Looks great. BTW, aint nothing wrong with a white salon. I go to a white salon for my relaxer touch ups. :D

awww.... you look so beautiful in those pics! i love your hair, they did a very fine job! too bad i dont trust anybody doing my hair except me bc we have a supercuts by my house.....

Allandra said:
Looks great. BTW, aint nothing wrong with a white salon. I go to a white salon for my relaxer touch ups. :D

Yep, I see nothing wrong with a white salon either. I may go to her for my big chop. :yep:

Hey Poohbear! Your hair is looking lovely through your transition!! Did you happen to go to this woman by word of mouth or just took the chance w/Supercuts in general? And overall your experience was great? Sorry for all the questions, but now that I've also learned to take care of my ends which = less trims, I may ditch my stylist for a Fantastic Sams or Supercuts as well!!

Looking good girl!! Id been going to white salons for over 6 years for trims and rollersets. Ive been to Fantastics sams for relaxers, trims and rollersets, Borics, Hair cuttery and Supercuts for trims and rollersets. I seem to have better success when the Caucasian ladies at the salons do my trims than the black women at these salons. Havent figure out why quite yet...

vangrey said:
awww.... you look so beautiful in those pics! i love your hair, they did a very fine job! too bad i dont trust anybody doing my hair except me bc we have a supercuts by my house.....
yeah, this is why i was never a salon goer... i only trusted me and my mom. but i felt like i needed a professional trim where they could also trim the layers of my hair which had thin ends as well.
but the thing about going to salons, you have to tell them about your hair and exactly what you want. And that's what I did. I told her starting off that I was growing out my relaxer, didnt want my hair shorter than my shoulders...maybe just a 1/2"-1" trim and wasn't scissor happy, and when she was blowdrying my hair, I would let her know if it was too hot by saying "Ouch" or "It's too hot". Shoot, I don't care, that just let's them know what to do. But this lady did a great job and I'm glad she had experience with black texture hair. ;)

nolechik said:
Did you happen to go to this woman by word of mouth or just took the chance w/Supercuts in general? And overall your experience was great? Sorry for all the questions, but now that I've also learned to take care of my ends which = less trims, I may ditch my stylist for a Fantastic Sams or Supercuts as well!!
I did not know this woman or anything about this one particular salon before I went. I'm somewhat of a risk taker. :look: This salon was slow too (not a lot of business) which had me worried at first but not really. I just took the chance with SuperCuts in general because of the thread ms_kenesha started about getting cut/trims from white salons. Overall, my experience was great and I would say I was pretty lucky but I made sure she knew about my hair before she touched it. Now, I just can't wait to style my hair with some rollers or something to make my ends look nice! :yep:
Btw, why are you thinking about ditching your stylist? Is your stylist black? Are you having problems with her or something? :confused:

Poohbear said:
Yep, I see nothing wrong with a white salon either. I may go to her for my big chop. :yep:
I plan on going to one too where a stylist is good with curly hair. I plan on having her do rollersets, mini chops, and my final cut and style when I'm ready.
For some reason my African American stylist doesn't seem too excited to work with the two textures of my transitioning hair. Im a little sad though because other than that she is good stylist. Oh well.

Anyway your hair looks really good and healthy. Keep up the good work on your transition.

Ar010 said:
I plan on going to one too where a stylist is good with curly hair. I plan on having her do rollersets, mini chops, and my final cut and style when I'm ready.
For some reason my African American stylist doesn't seem too excited to work with the two textures of my transitioning hair. Im a little sad though because other than that she is good stylist. Oh well.

Anyway your hair looks really good and healthy. Keep up the good work on your transition.

Hey Ar010, thanks for the comment! Also, do you know of a good stylist that can work with curly hair or are you going to take the risk like I did? :grin:
Even though your African American stylist hasn't been excited about working with your hair, has she been taking good care of it or does she make it seem like she wants to give you a relaxer or something?

Looks good, nice and thick. My ends are a mess and I can't wait to get them trimmed.

I read a salon review for a salon in my area on http://naturallycurly2.com/curlscene/salons_map.php and I will take a risk and go there soon.

My current stylist I haven't been to since the summer. She said relaxing would be better than my current rollerset style if i even plan to wear my hair straight especailly in the summer. She might have thought that I only want to wear my hair straight all the time with rollersets but when I'm all natural I will do rollersets less often though. I've been doing my hair myself lately. I'll try the the white salon and if I don't like her I can always go back to my current one and expalin to her that rollersets are what I want only until my transition is over.

lkg4healthyhair said:
Looks good, nice and thick. My ends are a mess and I can't wait to get them trimmed.
Thanks! Go trim them if they are split or damaged. If they are just frizzy or dry, you may be able to use a moisturizer or treatment to fix that. ;) Anyway, I felt so relieved to get rid of my damaged, thin ends. My ends don't tangle or try to stick together. The stylist said I really didnt have a problem with split ends, they were just thin. I can't wait to grow out more of my hair and trim off more of these ends so I can have some thick, healthy looking hair. :yep:

Ar010 said:
I read a salon review for a salon in my area on http://naturallycurly2.com/curlscene/salons_map.php and I will take a risk and go there soon.

My current stylist I haven't been to since the summer. She said relaxing would be better than my current rollerset style if i even plan to wear my hair straight especailly in the summer. She might have thought that I only want to wear my hair straight all the time with rollersets but when I'm all natural I will do rollersets less often though. I've been doing my hair myself lately. I'll try the the white salon and if I don't like her I can always go back to my current one and expalin to her that rollersets are what I want only until my transition is over.
Thanks for posting that link! :) I just checked it out and there's one NaturallyCurly salon in Louisville, KY. I might try that salon out too in the future. Whatever you do, do what's best for your hair. If you rather rollerset than relax, do what you want to do, especially if you are not planning on getting a relaxer anymore. I'm going to go back to rollersetting too except I will use larger rollers instead of the medium sized ones to save time and frustration of dealing with the two textures. When I am completely natural, I plan on not rollersetting as much either. :yep:

Looks good! Man, I have not had good luck with white salons in the past. Although I never went to a SuperCuts type place. Usually uppity salons that supposedly the staff is trained in all types of hair textures. The stylists are all confident going in but once they put my seemingly tame hair in the sink and my mass of uncontrolled curls starts expanding before their eyes you can see the look of shock and dumbfoundedness on their face, LOL! I'm like "oh Lord, I'm gonna come out of here looking a mess", and I do despite their best efforts. And it always ends up costing me at least 60 bucks and up!

The cuts themselves are good and and very professional but no one but a few(usually Dominican and it only cost like 15 bucks!) stylists on this earth can successfully style my hair.
Anyways, glad yours came out nice! :grin:

Back