Gotta Love The Hair Cuttery - touch up recount.

Tracy

So I went to the Hair Cuttery yesterday for a touch up. I love my stylist but I am beginning to have a few issues with her - not ones that will immediately send me looking for another - but she's on a friendly probation. :look:

The first thing is partly not her fault. I would have called me, if I were the stylist faced with the dilemma, but really it's the salon's fault. They (HQ, she said) didn't order enough Arosci relaxer - so all they had was super. The only other realxer they had was Mizani (which she does not like at all - and I don't like Mizani either, so I didn't argue) lye OR, a no lye that she said was better than the Mizani lye.

The upshot was because they didn't have my relaxer and she didn't like Mizani Lye relaxers, she was going to use a Mizani NO LYE. I allowed it, because I know my hair pretty well, I switch relaxers all the time (although I WAS trying to avoid that as of late :rolleyes: ) and I know my hair won't break off or fall out or whatever. I also had been digging in my scalp and I knew I was going to burn - so a no lye would help me avoid that. Just to be sure, I'm going to call her next time I go - the day of my appt - and make sure she has my relaxer.

But that presents a problem as well. I really don't LOVE Arosci either, and I will NEVER use Mizani. And that's all the Hair Cuttery uses, so it's that or nothing. And you can't bring your own. :ohwell:

So the relaxer situation is getting sticky....

Aside from that tho, she'll be hard to leave if ever I feel I must. She EXPERTLY applies relaxers. I don't think I've been relaxed that thoroughly more than 2 or 3 times in my life. She applies the relaxer NO MORE than a .5 inch down, NEVER overlaps, and applies it so quickly your head spins....she's really good at it. She doesn't smooth on me too much either, (her decision without me having to ask) because my hair is fine. That's nice, because it's always been hard to convince stylists that I really DON'T want the sh!t relaxed out of my hair. :crazy:

Other than that, we talked about color. And she seems to know her stuff, so I may want her to do foil based highlights on me soon....but she kept insisting that I "come in for a treatment". I told her I do my own and she kept trying to tell me that it's not the same - that it's like using over the counter medications when you really need a prescription. :look:

I laughed and gave her a look and said..."Now Nicole...you are NOT a doctor. :ohwell: C'mon let's keep it real, gurl. I know the deal. I'll try to come in for treatments occasionally for some pampering, and to spend a little more money at the salon (whereupon, I gave her a KNOWING wink - and she laughed. :lol: ). But let's be real - my at home treatments work just fine...don't they?" She laughed and said yes, that most people don't take as good care of their hair as I do (and she can tell that I do ;) she always comments on it. She almost FELL OUT when I told her my color saga from beginning to end! :crazy: ) so she recommends that they come in for treatments when they want color and relaxers and such, so that SHE PERSONALLY makes sure that their hair gets what it needs.... which is a nice gesture. :) I can't be mad at that based on some of the heads I see in the dirty. :shocked:

But she laughed at me and admitted that it was, indeed, ALSO a cross sell - that u sell treatments with chemical services - that's just the way it is in the hair business. I told her I couldn't knock her hustle, and that I would come in for them some of the time - but that I was broke and she needed to just go ahead and tell me what she wanted me to do at home before my color appointment. She did, and we're still friends. :lol:

She also gave me a pretty aggressive trim (which I asked for) just to get a little more of these ends off....I have a feeling it'll be back really soon tho. My hair's been in a growth spurt the past month or so. Which means I'm getting a nice healthy .5 inch a month. :ohwell: But I'm not worried. And she cut exactly what I asked for, and no more. :) And she did a decent job too - tho I did want a little more precision that I got. It may just be that I still have too many layers for the lines to be that sharp. Anywho...

Overall it was a fun appointment. But it reminded me how much I wish I could do EVERYTHING myself, ALL the time so that I don't have any variables outside of my own control - y'know?

OH! And she gave me a set of products for 80% off - Biolage and Paul Mitchell ( the newer Instant Mositure Daily Treatment conditioner, shampoo and styling foam - BTW has anyone used any of the newer PM stuff - I remember these being good, but I haven't used PM in a loooong time? - and a set of the Biolage Hydrating shampoo and the Ultra Hydrating Balm). Both were normally 15 apiece. They were 50% off and then she took off another 20% - so they were about 6 bucks per set!!!!

All in all, she's a great stylist and I would still highly recommend her to anyone that asked. I still have to work out my relaxer issues and I got a chuckle out of her trying to sell me things I don't need - but I can't knock her hustle. :)

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a good experience... :up:

So you're saying that she did your touchup with the Mizani No Lye?? (I could have sworn you were a "lye girl"...) How did you like it?? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but why did you say that you won't use it?? :confused:

She did use no-lye. I was just talking too much as usual - that's why ur confused. :lol:

And I am a lye girl. Because they didn't have Arosci Mild lye, and because neither she nor I like Mizani Lye, we used Mizani no lye. I'd never used it, but she said it was a far better formulation than the lye version of Mizani (more moisturizers etc. in the relaxer). It was a one time thing. The plan is to go back to Arosci Mild (which I'm not sure I love either :ohwell: ) next touch up. :)

Mizani no lye was ok. Not terrible. And my hair feels fine. I just don't like using no-lye's long term, because they don't work well on my hair. Amazingly tho - switching back and forth like that presents no problem on my hair :confused: . So I'll just get Arosci next time.

Tracy said:
Mizani no lye was ok. Not terrible. And my hair feels fine. I just don't like using no-lye's long term, because they don't work well on my hair. Amazingly tho - switching back and forth like that presents no problem on my hair :confused: . So I'll just get Arosci next time.

OK, I gotcha!! :p

Tracy,

The salon I went to last had that same issue. They only used tow relaxers, Mizani and deep Brilliance. And I cannot bring my own. The stylist was great, very willing to please- which is something I never had with my old stylist.

I didn't like Mizani either so I went with Deep Brilliance which is soooo mild that it only texturized me. I kinda wanted that anyway, but I think I will try my hand in relaxing soon. i found a BSS that will sell me DB or I'll do phyto. I want to start with something mild so that I will be less likely to overprocess.

Um... so where are the pics? You know better than to post about getting your hair done and not let us see! I wanna seee...................

You are so lucky with finding stylists! I'm glad your touch up went well.
When i go for a touch up i expect the worst to happen.

Where's the pics Tracy??

Awww - you guys are sweet...LOL! I am waiting for DSD's T-shirt to get here to post my next round of pics.....so I can accurately judge my progress. My hair is also technically not "long" anymore IMO...so I don't think my pics will be very interesting. :lol:

Melodee - good luck girl. I haven't had an opportunity to try DB yet. I've heard mixed reviews, so I won't. But if you like it def try doing it yourself! I did it once, and I just don't trust my skills. :ohwell:

Back