Got the ITCH..Almost MBL to SL...Should I CHOP??

soon2bsl

Hey ladies! Soo...I'm really getting the BC itch again. I haven't felt this way since I was probably around 8 or 9 months post. I'll be 16 months post tomorrow and a huge part of me wants to just go ahead and BC. Thing is I've never had hair this long before and I'm really enjoying it! :)

My transition is going really well and haven't ran into any challenges/setbacks or anything. My plan was to long term transition without the BC. I anticipate making my goal of WL next summer and was going to start trimming at that point and maintaining at waist until all my relaxed ends were gone. Really not sure what I should do now?? I've been protective styling alot with wigs last year and sew ins and crochets this year (in between I wore buns mainly). These protective styles really helped with retention and not having to deal with the two textures on a daily basis. I've been wearing my own hair for the last month or so and planned on not going back to sew ins or crochets for a while. I'm thinking not wearing those types of protective styles has something to do with me wanting to BC because I see my hair all the time now and love my new growth!

I have it straight right now but will probably wash it this weekend...really considering chopping especially since I'll be 16 months post tomorrow and can get my natural hair in a ponytail. However I'm almost MBL and should make my goal in Dec...if I chop I'll be SL which is wearing I started my journey at 16 months ago but with relaxed hair.

So I know ultimately I've gotta make the decision but what do you ladies think? Suggestions, advices especially from fellow long term BC'ers are mooore than welcome! TIA

I think you should keep transitioning. I am currently in a long term transition as well and I plan on growing my hair to APL and then trimming my dead ends and going to MLB and trimming off the rest of my relaxed hair.

Keep going! We (long-term transitioners) need all the company we can get! BTW, I'm also 16 months with another 14 months to go. I'll be wearing my hair straight throughout the fall/winter and go back to 3/4x per week cowashing in the spring.

Last edited:
I get the urge every once in a while, but I like my length and my number one hair goal was long healthy hair. If you relaxed ends aren't holding you bac then I say continue on. When I want to cut I give it a week wear my hair down for a day. Then I know I would miss BSB and it too me too long to get here!

Thanks ladies!

Keep going! We (long-term transitioners) need all the company we can get! BTW, I'm also 16 months with another 14 months to go. I'll be wearing my hair straight throughout the fall/winter and go back to 3/4x per week cowashing in the spring.

Thanks for the advice! Your plan sounds similar to mine with wearing it straight in the fall/winter..my plan is to straighten 1x per month until it spring/summer.

I get the urge every once in a while, but I like my length and my number one hair goal was long healthy hair. If you relaxed ends aren't holding you bac then I say continue on. When I want to cut I give it a week wear my hair down for a day. Then I know I would miss BSB and it too me too long to get here!

Thanks BunMistress! We sound so much alike. It's like I don't get the urge often, but when I do...I mean I really do! Then what I usually do is put it away, like in sew in or crochets for a month or so. About a day or to after my install that feeling goes awayl :) But trying to fight the urge without hiding my hair is new territory for me. But yeah I don't want to let go of length. So I think I'ma keep on trucking lol!

Last edited:
Just do mini chops. Like maybe stay at MBL for a while with trims. Since your not having problems with your transition there's no need to rush unless you really really want to.

Your siggy says your 1 year mark was May 15th, 2010. My one year mark was June 6th, 2010 and I am going on 17 months post....so how are you only on your 16 month? Lol. :)

If your siggy is correct, on Nov. 15th you should be 18 months post.

Last edited:
Im doing my BC tomoro! Im approx. 2 years post! When I started obsessing over all of the curl creams that I wanted to try when "Im finally natural" I knew that it was time for me to just go ahead and do it lol. If you arent having any trouble as far as styling then I see no point in chopping, but my natural hair is day and my relaxed hair is night. The difference is dramatic and no styles ever looked right on me! The longer you prolong your transition it gets soooo hard to let that long hair go. So if you will be MBL in December I would at least wait until the new year. That way you can truly say you reached your goal. At that point you may change your mind and decide to do an even 2 year transition!

Good luck on your journey!

Your siggy says your 1 year mark was May 15th, 2010. My one year mark was June 6th, 2010 and I am going on 17 months post....so how are you only on your 16 month? Lol. :)

If your siggy is correct, on Nov. 15th you should be 18 months post.

Chelz Thank You!

It's been so long, I guess I lost a month somewhere! That means I only have 12 1/2 months left - WOO HOO!

If you plan on straightening all winter, don't bother cutting now. Just wait, and when it starts to get warm outside and you get the urge to cowash all the time, THEN do it. But for now, enjoy that length girl, you worked so hard for it!

I planned on being a long term transitioner but I BC'd after 9months. Although I love being fully naturally I miss my longer hair sometimes. Especially since I hide my hair in weaves and kinky twists for protective styling. I had the urge to cut for a couple weeks before the BC. I was planning to hide my hair to fight the urge. My stylist was not around but my sisscors were ....you know the rest lol.
I regret cutting my hair no that its get colder. We all know how much harder the summer is on transitioning hair.

Don't rush it. Enjoy your length. Minichops maybe in order. Just DON"T DO IT. MBL? Man i would never cut my hair after I reached that goal. HHJ

You ladies are great! It just reinforces my original decision even more to wait, and not chop! :) Thanks for listening as I was having a "moment" lol.

Im doing my BC tomoro! Im approx. 2 years post! When I started obsessing over all of the curl creams that I wanted to try when "Im finally natural" I knew that it was time for me to just go ahead and do it lol. If you arent having any trouble as far as styling then I see no point in chopping, but my natural hair is day and my relaxed hair is night. The difference is dramatic and no styles ever looked right on me! The longer you prolong your transition it gets soooo hard to let that long hair go. So if you will be MBL in December I would at least wait until the new year. That way you can truly say you reached your goal. At that point you may change your mind and decide to do an even 2 year transition!

Thanks beautyaddict! Yep, I'm going to keep on doing my long term transition and stick with my original goal. Guess the BC bug gets us from time to time, but I am going to keep my original goal in front of me.. WL next summer then maintaining there with trims to I'm rid of my relaxed ends. Congrats on your upcoming BC!! Make sure to post pics!

If you plan on straightening all winter, don't bother cutting now. Just wait, and when it starts to get warm outside and you get the urge to cowash all the time, THEN do it. But for now, enjoy that length girl, you worked so hard for it!

Couldn't agree with you more! That's exactly what I am going to continue doing. I started thinking to myself like man 16 months of hard work, I really don't think I want to just up and chop it off. Especially since this fall/winter will be the first time I'll be showing my length more often. I know I a big part of me would have regretted chopping so soon and putting me back at SL where I started. I'm really going to try and stick with my goal of transitioning 3 years...but even if I do chop before then it wouldn't be until I reach the 2 year mark next June.

I planned on being a long term transitioner but I BC'd after 9months. Although I love being fully naturally I miss my longer hair sometimes. Especially since I hide my hair in weaves and kinky twists for protective styling. I had the urge to cut for a couple weeks before the BC. I was planning to hide my hair to fight the urge. My stylist was not around but my sisscors were ....you know the rest lol.
I regret cutting my hair no that its get colder. We all know how much harder the summer is on transitioning hair.

Don't rush it. Enjoy your length. Minichops maybe in order. Just DON"T DO IT. MBL? Man i would never cut my hair after I reached that goal. HHJ

LOL funny about "you know the rest." :) I totally feel you. Glad you posted because I know I'd be feeling the same way if I did it right now, I'd probably be regretting it later. Especially since I wouldn't be wearing it out in it's natural state like wash n go's or anything since the weather is cooling down.

Last edited:
:hiya2: I'm a long term transitioner (14 months post)

I think that you should only trim as needed. You will have natural hair for the rest of your dear life.

:hiya2: I'm a long term transitioner (14 months post)

I think that you should only trim as needed. You will have natural hair for the rest of your dear life.

Hey fellow transitioner! You're so right. That's one of the things I've told myself in the past when I get the BC urge. I'll think to myself...just like when people (like myself) get color and chose not to get touchups anymore (it's been 2 years since I had highlights done)...they may not just "cut the color out" but just slowly let it grow out. I have to keep thinking of it that way. So how long do you plan to transition for?

How do you long term transitioners wear your hair? I'm months behind you, but I'm very interested in your progress!

How do you long term transitioners wear your hair? I'm months behind you, but I'm very interested in your progress!

DDTexlaxed
I wear it flatironed for a week each month, the following week I DC (no blowdrying) and wear it bunned, then I'll roller set it (straight) for week, then I'll go back to a bun or maybe blowdry it straight for week #4. BUT, there have been entire months when I got lazy and wore only wet-buns!

I'm enjoying my hair again. I flat ironed it yesterday on the lowest setting. My hair has never felt so good. I'm not exactly sure, but I think I'm at 4 months post relaxer. Since I changed to Ori Organics, my hair is growing like never before and I'm retaining my length. I basically wash/DC 1X a week and I use my remaining Afroveda products as sealants. I don't know what I'll use when I'm out of Curl Define and Shea Alma, but I will be using an almost all natural line. Ori Organics has styling butters, too. I may try that or Bee Mine. My hair hasn't been this easily managed since I've started taking care of my own hair. It can only get better the longer my hair gets.

I know how you feel. I have been getting a strong urge to chop for a few weeks now. I am 15 months post and I am also at MBL. I think I am just going to do a mini chop to about BSB or full APL. The last trim I got she cut my hair into layers and it just emphasizes my thin ends so I think going back to a blunt cut at BSB or APL will look healthier. Plus, I don't want to get attached to the length because I am really sick of these stringy ends. I think you should keep going if you are more comfortable with long hair and are having a pretty smooth transition. Congrats on making MBL!

Last edited:

Hey DDTexlaxed! Well last year I wore half wigs, lace fronts and phony ponies mainly. This year I've been wearing sew ins and crochets alot. However I plan on wearing my own hair for a while now, and in between those installs (and now) I'd mainly wear buns, bantu knot outs into a curly puff, or rollerset it. I plan continue wearing these styles and incorporating straightening it once a month by rollersetting and flat ironing during the fall/winter.

I'm enjoying my hair again. I flat ironed it yesterday on the lowest setting. My hair has never felt so good. I'm not exactly sure, but I think I'm at 4 months post relaxer. Since I changed to Ori Organics, my hair is growing like never before and I'm retaining my length. I basically wash/DC 1X a week and I use my remaining Afroveda products as sealants. I don't know what I'll use when I'm out of Curl Define and Shea Alma, but I will be using an almost all natural line. Ori Organics has styling butters, too. I may try that or Bee Mine. My hair hasn't been this easily managed since I've started taking care of my own hair. It can only get better the longer my hair gets.

That's great you've found products that work for you! Are you transitioning? If so are you do you plan on doing a long term transition?

I know how you feel. I have been getting a strong urge to chop for a few weeks now. I am 15 months post and I am also at MBL. I think I am just going to do a mini chop to about BSB or full APL. The last trim I got she cut my hair into layers and it just emphasizes my think ends so I think going back to a blunt cut at BSB or APL will look healthier. Plus, I don't want to get attached to the length because I am really sick of these stringy ends. I think you should keep going if you are more comfortable with long hair and are having a pretty smooth transition. Congrats on making MBL!

Thanks calibella! Sounds like you have a great plan! Since you plan to do minichops when do you think you'll finally get rid of all the relaxed ends?

[/QUOTE]

Thanks calibella! Sounds like you have a great plan! Since you plan to do minichops when do you think you'll finally get rid of all the relaxed ends?[/QUOTE]

I think by the end of the year I will do a mini chop to BSB or APL and by next spring/summer (20-24 months post) I will probably chop off the remaining relaxed ends.

I have been transitioning since late February or March 2009. My hair only bothers me when I try to wear it curly (keratin makes the texlaxed ends completely straight)... so I will probably never BC.. I just plan to trim until it's gone.. and even then it doesn't "bother" me...

But if it's bothering you... then chop... you've got a lot of beautiful hair.. if not.. I say delay it.. you never know how far you can go.. I had a friend.. who started transitioning in 2007 at APL and never did anything besides regular trims.. and her hair looks great...

I notice that you are almost 21 months post. When are you planning to chop. I am hoping to go at least 30 months (2.5 years).

It all depends on what goals you're trying to achieve. Are you trying to grow your hair long or are you transitioning to wear curly styles?

I BC'd at 10 months because I was anxious to see my natural hair and do curly styles. I went from SL to nape length and although I hated the length I was ok with it cuz I had a goal in mind. With that being said, my hair grew back to SL about 7 months later. Your hair will grow back too.

I say sleep on it, ask yourself what it is you're trying to accomplish and revisit the question in a few weeks.

Oh man I remember being in your sitch!
I would say hold out, only because reaching your length goal is such a thrill, even if you decided to chop the day after you reached it.

Your natural ends are still "protected" in the length of your hair so holding out doesn't do anything to harm them, and hey, a lil more natural length when you do decide to chop neva hurt anyone.

Ultimately it's ur decision of course. Do what feels right for you, just don't do it impulsively :)

All the best, and congrats on your long transition, whether it ends in a few days or a few months :)

Aww thanks LHCF vets..BostonMaria and Whimsy for the advice!

It all depends on what goals you're trying to achieve. Are you trying to grow your hair long or are you transitioning to wear curly styles?

I BC'd at 10 months because I was anxious to see my natural hair and do curly styles. I went from SL to nape length and although I hated the length I was ok with it cuz I had a goal in mind. With that being said, my hair grew back to SL about 7 months later. Your hair will grow back too.

I say sleep on it, ask yourself what it is you're trying to accomplish and revisit the question in a few weeks.

You bring up a great point. When I initially joined the board I was looking to grow long, healthy hair. Then a few weeks after I made the decision to transition to natural for several reasons; been relaxed since age 3 and want off chemicals, was only getting relaxer 2-3 times a year anyway curious about my natural texture, found out natural hair can still get relaxer straight with proper tools and techniques, and so many styling options with natural hair. So since I've been retaining my length and never had hair this long before, I still want to keep length as I transition. I definitely want to wear curly styles when I'm fully natural, but it's not a big rush to do so now, especially since I'll be wearing my hair straight more this fall/winter. So, I'm going to stick with my original plan to do a long term transition without the BC. I'm trying to go 3 years but even if I make it to my 2nd anniversary next June and chop, I should be about APL stretched. :) Thanks Boston Maria!

Oh man I remember being in your sitch!
I would say hold out, only because reaching your length goal is such a thrill, even if you decided to chop the day after you reached it.

Your natural ends are still "protected" in the length of your hair so holding out doesn't do anything to harm them, and hey, a lil more natural length when you do decide to chop neva hurt anyone.

Ultimately it's ur decision of course. Do what feels right for you, just don't do it impulsively :)

All the best, and congrats on your long transition, whether it ends in a few days or a few months :)

Thanks Whimsy! Yep I am going to hold out atleast til my 2nd anniversary in June. I should be WL by then and if I chop my natural hair should be around will be APL stretched.

Last edited:
Hey DDTexlaxed! Well last year I wore half wigs, lace fronts and phony ponies mainly. This year I've been wearing sew ins and crochets alot. However I plan on wearing my own hair for a while now, and in between those installs (and now) I'd mainly wear buns, bantu knot outs into a curly puff, or rollerset it. I plan continue wearing these styles and incorporating straightening it once a month by rollersetting and flat ironing during the fall/winter.

That's great you've found products that work for you! Are you transitioning? If so are you do you plan on doing a long term transition?

I am hoping to try. I got frustrated a lot and BC'd early my past transitions. I am trying to make it to a year or more, but I refuse to BC in the winter. I need all the warmth on my head I can get! LOL.

With all that beautiful new growth I would cut.lol....But honestly I wouldnt do right now. I would wait till I was at least at or past apl natural. (That is my goal). I believe you probably shud enjoy you hair and straighten it but I agree with bcing in the summer.I have the itch to bc and it is constantly coming and going. It is harder to transition then especially when you see everyone elses curls, kinkies ,and wavies:grin:
But soon2bsl, I knew you must have bee itching to bc even though you are midback length. Your hair is so pretty:lick:.

Back