Got my stand-up dryer, rollerset is the bomb

pmichael52172

I picked up my stand-up dryer yesterday that I ordered from Sallys and was so excited. I went home and washed my hair, deep conditioned, and roller set it. For the first time in a long time, my set came out nice. I love that dryer. It was a breeze putting it together (no hardware needed) and I just rolled that sucker into my bedroom and brought in a chair (salon-style) and watched America's Next Top Model and read books while it dried.

The roots are a little thick because I need a perm, but they are soft. Someone was right when they said this would be a great investment. I can't wait to my flexi-rods again.

How different is this dryer from the regular home one that you sit under, like the gold n hot. I am thinking that I want to spend the bill money LOL and get it too so I could share in your joy.

Here's the one I bought (below). My local Sally's sells it for $90 if you buy it in store. I've seen it for around $130 and up elsewhere online. It's Conair which is a low end brand name but my stylist said it's good enough for home. Here are the specs:

Conair Pro Rollabout Dryer
Sally Item #: 928450
Excellent for light salon or home use.

1600 Watts with three temperature settings
Adjustable height
Built-in airflow diffuser
Easy to assemble
Not recommended for commercial applications

Linxnme, It may not be so gloriously different from the travel hard hood dryers but I don't have one of those. My soft bonnet wasn't drying evenly or even hot enough so my rollersets sucked big time. I must confess, I just wanted to buy the product too. I could have bought a travel kind if I really had to. With this it's more comfortable when sitting in a regular chair. I also love the fact that when you lift up the visor, it automatically shuts off and when you pull it back down, it continues drying.

Last edited:
Yes it does. It's roomy enough like most (I repeat, most) standard salon dryers. This is why I'm anxious to do my flexi-rods next and my flexis are long so I need the space under dryers to fit comfortably.

Does this dryer always stand up like this or can it get smaller for easier storage. I know this question seems a lil silly because its not a travel dryer but, just wondering? :confused:

Not silly at all! Yes it is always stand-up, however you can easily slide the hood off the pole, lower the pole and tuck them away if you really need too. I just roll mine into the coat closet in my guest bedroom.

You can probably get just as good results with the collapsible dryer. Here's a conair link. http://www.conair-store.com/product_list.asp?SKW=hairhairhard&HDR=HAIR

I'm not a Conair brand fanatic, I just pulled it up for you. You can find hard hooded dryers everywhere. Long ago, someone suggested sitting a travel dryer on an ironing board so you could easily adjust it to the level of your chair. GENIUS! But I still wanted my stand up so I bought it.

DIVINEFAVOR, My Sally's didn't carry it in the store so I had to order it but the special is that you come into the store to buy it for that price. Call your local one and see if they have the same special. It only took about 5 business days.

Thanks Pmichael I have a gold in hot hard hat dryer but its old and cracked so I just considering a replacement, you got me all excited to get something new. Usually I sit my dryer on the kitchen table, but the ironing board is creative, I never thought of that!:)

Girl, go on and get you a stand up... do it... DO IT! (LOL)

Seriously though if you often do your hair while traveling, I would replace the old one with the same style. I myself do my hair before I travel so that also gave me more reason to buy what I really wanted.

I've been using the ironing board for years with my table top hard bonnet dryer. Honestly, though, the dryer still didn't dry my hair evenly especially as my hair got longer and started using larger rollers. I also have used the ion soft bonnet (astronaut looking) dryer. I actually bought two, but both stop working on me. So, now I have a Select gold soft bonnet that looks just like the Ion Soft bonnet and it works great. But a couple of areas in the back don't dry as quickly as the rest of my hair. It is a great dryer though and wonderful for when you're traveling and need to do your hair when you're out of town.

I think I'm going to go ahead and purchase the salon dryer though, so I can use that one more at home. And, put my soft bonnet to rest a little bit and use it more for deep conditioning. But, I will still alternate between the two.

pmichael, thanks for the suggestions!

Man! I'm excited all over again. (I get so geeked up about hair products/tools). I can't wait to read what you think of the dryer when you get it so be sure to update me. Even if you pm me.

Pmichael do you have a sally card??? I wonder how much cheaper it is if you use the card. I dunno what I would do with out my card ;)

I went to Sally's on my lunch break and they didn't have the driers in stock. The lady in there said that they are on sale this month for $99 and that they are normally $129. I didn't order one though, I'm trying to wait to see if I still feel this way tomorrow. :lol:

Bluerhapzody - Sally's does not allow you to use your card on the dryer. I have a Sally's card and I made sure that I asked the sales lady.

No, I don't have a Sally's card. My friend always cxomplained that the discount was not enough, but I say if it's even 2 cents less than what you normally pay, then shut up and take it LOL!

Divinefavor. Good idea. I used the 24 hour rule when I first wanted one. I waited 24 hours, rationalizing, reasoning and afterwards still decided that I wanted it! Many times my 24 hour rule works and very rarely it doesn't. I think this was the right investment for me.

pmichael52172 said:
No, I don't have a Sally's card. My friend always cxomplained that the discount was not enough, but I say if it's even 2 cents less than what you normally pay, then shut up and take it LOL!

Divinefavor. Good idea. I used the 24 hour rule when I first wanted one. I waited 24 hours, rationalizing, reasoning and afterwards still decided that I wanted it! Many times my 24 hour rule works and very rarely it doesn't. I think this was the right investment for me.

I think I'm going to end up buying it. I rollerset my hair yesterday morning and used my soft bonnet (astronaut looking) dryer, certain areas weren't dry. So of course I thought to myself, dang I should have ordered that dryer. :lol:

I bought the Conair stand up dryer last week at Sallys for $99.00. I am going to roller set my hair tonight. Can't wait to see how it turns out. My soft bonnet dryer took 2-3 hours to dry my hair and that was way too long.

Thanks for posting this. I decided to get a dryer to do rollersets with, so I'll consider this one. It's good to hear that it fits large rollers.

I like the ironing board idea, too. I never thought of that.

Back