Got my cornrows...and they turned out pretty good (Pic Heavy)

About a week ago, I posted about work appropriate cornrows.

Well, I finally did it. Got them done last night, after much deliberation. These were done on my natural hair, no extensions added. When I was done, the braider commented on how it looked almost like the feed-in braids they usually do...my hair is so thick!

Next month, when I have more time, I think I will get them done even smaller. The smaller the better for me. It only took her about 2 hours. I was surprised. I just knew I'd be there for at least 4! She was VERY gentle on my hair line. I couldn't even feel the beginning of each braid. She asked if it was tight or if it bothered me. I told her "No. That's perfect." The hair is taut, but definitely not tight or stressing on my hair. I am in love. This is my new 'do for the rest of the year. I plan to get new 'rows once a month. Between sets, I'll do a protein treatment with Nexxus, followed by a deep moisturizing conditioner.

For daily maintenance, it's just SSF and Coconut Oil. Can't beat the low maintenance! My only complaint, I don't LOVE the way the back two cornrows meet the box braids. But I can be more explicit about that next time. It's not the end of the world.

Also, for those wondering, I work in finance, at a Hedge Fund - in a "Front Office", very visible position. I am the only female of color in the firm. I got lots of compliments this morning when I came in. Works for me! NOTE (moreso for the younger forumers): my place of work is no where NEAR as conservative as a law firm - if that helps on a comparative scale.

1IMG00207-20100526-1057.JPG

IMG00209-20100526-1057.JPG

IMG00210-20100526-1058.JPG

IMG00211-20100526-1058.JPG

IMG00212-20100526-1058.JPG

IMG00214-20100526-1059.JPG

a1IMG00213-20100526-1058.JPG

I love it!!! Your hair is always gorgeous!!! 2 hours is not bad at all. This is perfect for the Summer. How long do you plan on wearing your hair in the cornrow style? BTW...Congratulations on your pregnancy! :)

Last edited:
i like them, whn my hair grows out i will definitly be rocking these sort of cornrows. low maintence is cool with me.

they look very nice on you.

I love it!!! Your hair is always gorgeous!!! 2 hours is not bad at all. This is perfect for the Summer. How long do you plan on wearing your hair in the cornrow style? BTW...Congratulations on your pregnancy! :)

Thanks mama. I'm planning on about 3 to 3 1/2 weeks per set. BUT, we'll see how the frizzies hold up. If it gets out of hand too quickly, I'll have to revisit the length of time they stay in.

I'd really like to do this. How long do you think the style will last?

I tried cornrows last summer but 1. the lady put in hair that was WAY too long, and 2. It was too tight. I couldn't stand it and took them out myself a day and a half after I had them put in.

I would like to try them with just my hair. How did she curl the ends?

I'd really like to do this. How long do you think the style will last?

I tried cornrows last summer but 1. the lady put in hair that was WAY too long, and 2. It was too tight. I couldn't stand it and took them out myself a day and a half after I had them put in.

I would like to try them with just my hair. How did she curl the ends?

I think (or I'm hoping) they'll last a few weeks with low manipulation and careful maintenance. I'm being careful not to put anything in my hair that will cause a lot of buildup. Only water soluble products - SSF and Coconut Oil.

I didn't have any extensions added. This is my natural, chemical free hair (well, almost chemical free - there's a little bit of color left on the ends that I'm working to cut off - but no relaxer). So, when she was done, I just rinsed my ends in the shower to curl them up.

Well it is sooo cute. And you look very professional. I'm so tempted, but I know I wasted 85 dollars and 4 hours of my life the last time I tried cornrows!

It looks great! How much did you pay?

Kady is awesome. To be honest with you, I ALWAYS hook her up. Maybe that's why she's gentle on my hairline and fast to get it done. She always gives me the line "whatever you want to give me."

Now, that being said, I think you could probably get it done on natural hair without extensions for about $30. I give her twice that, to be honest. She hooks me up, so I do the same for her. Treating my edges well is priceless ;)

I think if you are getting the cornrows with feed in extensions, it would be $50 to $60. Takes longer and you have to factor in the price of the hair (or you can bring your own as they have it in the shop).

They are ALWAYS open to negotiation. You can also shop the price around up and down 125.

I'm really loving those on you. She did a neat job and I'm glad she was gentle. Now that's how stylist and beauticians should be, concerned, caring, and questioning.

So precise and neat. What a great low manipulation style for the summer aand for pregnancy. I know when I was pregnant some days I just didn't want to fuss with my hair.

Very nice. Your hair is beautiful. And it's all yours? :notworthy Please let us know how they hold up. I would love to get a style done in 2 hours.

Pretty!
I was pregnant during the hot summer too (dd's bday was 9/29). I would have loved a cool, low manip, and pretty style like this.

Back