Good or Bad Porosity & shrinkage change?

ImFrotastic

Hey all,

My porosity and shrinkage level has changed and I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing. A little history, since going natural my hair has to be dunked into water for a looong while before finally soaking it up in fact beads of water would sit atop my hair. Now you'd think that would equal naturally dry hair but nope, once the water finally soaked in it would take at least a full day to dry and my hair was also severely prone to moisture overload :blush: Fast forward to now, my hair still takes a while to soak up water but dries within only a few hours and now shrinks at 90 percent when shrinkage used to be no more than 50 percent.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Is this normal?

Ironically, this difference only started after using dark and lovely's anti shrinkage shampoo and conditioner just once. Since then I have been using Loreal's mega strength fortifying shampoo/conditioner with ceramideR complex.

TIA!

I am the same way. After transitioning from relaxed I found out I was lo po and had to adjust accordinging. The links divachyk suggested are fantastic.

I have noticed that in regards to my shrinkage as a low po, the closer to properly moisturized my hair is...the less shrinkage I have. When my hair is moisturized properly my shrinkage is about 50%, when its getting dry and hard it shrinks to about 70/80%.

It sounds like your hair switched from low porosity to high porosity (which is odd). Quick drying hair and hair that lost its hang time (seemingly due to now low water content) is not a good thing. It suggests the cuticle has been damaged or remains lifted. Shampoo's are one of the main culprits in destroying and/or lifting the cuticle (leading to highly porous hair).

Back