Good Moisturizing DC

spacetygrss

I’m looking for recs for a good, moisturizing DC.
My usual TGIN and Camille Rose loves are leaving a lot to be desired lately.
I haven’t really been keeping up with all that’s out there, so suggestions would be welcomed.

STATS: 4a/3c, high-porosity hair, mix of fine and thick strands, hair loves protein.

Thanks!

I don't know how you feel about Mielle Organics, but they have a good protein free deep conditioner.

To be honest, I've only tried a handful of DCs in the past decade and even the one that I suggested I've only used a few times.

I do ayurvedic masks but I don't DC. I've not found it to be necessary for my hair.

I retired TGIN once and didn't like it. I added a spoonful of honey and it was much better.

Henna Sooq's Sweet Honey Hair Nourisher is the only DC I've ever liked.

(There seems to be a pattern with my DC ingredients...):lol:

Funny you mention this...

@spacetygrss , I was gonna recommend adding honey and EVOO or glycerine and EVOO to your DC to see if it helps.

I've used this DC on my mom and my BFF's hair and they both seem to love it:

Vatika Olive & Almond DC

1718284713314.png

I haven't used the DC on my hair but I've used the regular conditioner as a leave in once and found that it really coats the hair. My felt soft and coated but there was no residue on my fingers when I touched my hair.

My go-to moisturizing DC is Queen Helene cholesterol + Hibiscus powder + EVOO + 1 tbsp salt. It was the only thing that made my hair soft after a henna paste mask 14 years ago and I've been using that ever since, both natural and relaxed.

Since you said your hair loves protein, this is the DC I've been using for my protein for the past year and I find that it leaves my hair soft. I don't believe that my hair loves protein, so it may be a good moisturizing DC for someone whose hair tolerates protein better than mine.

Vatika Honey & Egg DC

1718284946080.png
It also has henna in it - my hair does very well with henna whent it's mixed with other moisturizing ingredients, just not by itself. I was worried that with the egg it would be too strong, but I don't find it to be strong at all.

GL to you! :)

I agree with @MzSwift - My go to DC has always been Queen Helene cholesterol. I prefer the QH Super Cholesterol and it has grown my hair to WSL in the past. I will use other conditioners every now and then, but QH is my staple. I usually put shea butter on my hair before i put the DC on and I will add some oils high in ceramides like jojoba or wheatgerm or rice bran oil to my strands as well.

ETA: coming in 2nd place, I would suggest Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque under a heating cap as well.

The DC I most often reach for is Silicon Mix original. It's been my staple DC for over a decade. This is very moisturizing for me, but also keeps me balanced since it has a small amount of keratin protein. When I don't know what my hair needs, I just reach for this one. It gives me great results every time.

Honorable mentions
1. Silk Elements Megasilk Olive Moisturizing DC -- The most moisture filled DC I own. It can tip me into moisture overload if used every wash day, so I only use it after protein treatments or if my hair feels really dry.

2. Silk Elements Mayonnaise -- good moisture DC that will keep you balanced. It's a good "every wash day" kind of DC. Gives good results whenever I use it.

Last edited:
I really love Melanin Haircare Plumping Deep conditioner. It does have a small amount of protein in it but it is one of the most moisturizing conditioners I have ever used. Works best with heat IMO. It costs a bit more than the other ones listed here but I think it is worth it. I grabbed a few on sale but I would pay full price because that's just how much I like it.

For a moderate protein deep conditioning treatment, I like the S-Secrets Renew & Restore Masque. I consider it a heavier protein deep conditioner but it may also be considered a hard core protein treatment for some. I do follow it with a moisturizing conditoner or creme rinse.

When I am doing my ayurvedic regimen, I agree with @snoop. I love the Henna Sooq Sweet Honey Enriching Hair Nourisher with heat. Excellent treatment. I also use different ayurvedic hair masks in which I may or may not add a bit of moisturizing conditioners I have on hand that I am trying to use up.

I really love Melanin Haircare Plumping Deep conditioner. It does have a small amount of protein in it but it is one of the most moisturizing conditioners I have ever used. Works best with heat IMO. It costs a bit more than the other ones listed here but I think it is worth it. I grabbed a few on sale but I would pay full price because that's just how much I like it.

For a moderate protein deep conditioning treatment, I like the S-Secrets Renew & Restore Masque. I consider it a heavier protein deep conditioner but it may also be considered a hard core protein treatment for some. I do follow it with a moisturizing conditoner or creme rinse.

When I am doing my ayurvedic regimen, I agree with @snoop. I love the Henna Sooq Sweet Honey Enriching Hair Nourisher with heat. Excellent treatment. I also use different ayurvedic hair masks in which I may or may not add a bit of moisturizing conditioners I have on hand that I am trying to use up.
I actually think that I’ve ordered the Melanin Haircare one. It just hasn’t come yet….Thanks for the reminder.
I second this. It is a solid DC. I also tried Joico Moisture Recovery (from TJ Maxx) and that also worked really well under a heat cap. I went back and got the last 2 bottles
I use to love this DC! I might try it again. Thanks!

Funny you mention this...

@spacetygrss , I was gonna recommend adding honey and EVOO or glycerine and EVOO to your DC to see if it helps.

I've used this DC on my mom and my BFF's hair and they both seem to love it:

Vatika Olive & Almond DC

View attachment 496951

I haven't used the DC on my hair but I've used the regular conditioner as a leave in once and found that it really coats the hair. My felt soft and coated but there was no residue on my fingers when I touched my hair.

My go-to moisturizing DC is Queen Helene cholesterol + Hibiscus powder + EVOO + 1 tbsp salt. It was the only thing that made my hair soft after a henna paste mask 14 years ago and I've been using that ever since, both natural and relaxed.

Since you said your hair loves protein, this is the DC I've been using for my protein for the past year and I find that it leaves my hair soft. I don't believe that my hair loves protein, so it may be a good moisturizing DC for someone whose hair tolerates protein better than mine.

Vatika Honey & Egg DC

View attachment 496953
It also has henna in it - my hair does very well with henna whent it's mixed with other moisturizing ingredients, just not by itself. I was worried that with the egg it would be too strong, but I don't find it to be strong at all.

GL to you! :)
Haven’t used Queen Helene well over a decade. I use to love Cholesterol. I’ll check it out.
I don't know how you feel about Mielle Organics, but they have a good protein free deep conditioner.
Which one? I have some of their leave-in condition and like it a lot.

I retired TGIN once and didn't like it. I added a spoonful of honey and it was much better.

Henna Sooq's Sweet Honey Hair Nourisher is the only DC I've ever liked.

(There seems to be a pattern with my DC ingredients...):lol:
Thanks.
I’ve always had good results with TGIN. Almost like ti was made for my hair. I’m in perimenopause though so everything with my body has a mind of it’s own, so no surprise that my hair has lost it’s mind too!

My natural hair stats are similar to yours. These deep conditioners worked best for me when I was natural:

— Joico Moisture Recovery Balm (Forever staple. This works great for me relaxed and natural).

— Amika Soulfood and The Kure masks. (These were my all time favorite DCs as a natural. When they repackaged and sent the old containers to Marshall’s/TJMaxx I bought every one I could find. I still have about 10 - 16.9 oz jars and they do nothing for my relaxed hair. HOW?! :cry: ).

—Matrix Biolage Hydrascource Conditioning Balm & Mask. (Both work about the same for me).

—Aveda Nutriplenish Treatment Masque

—Silicon Mix, Baba de Caracol, 10n1, Emergencia (My hair loves all of the Dominican/Spanish DCs).

—Mielle Babassu and Mint

—Kérastase Nutritive Mask

—Olaplex #8 Bond Intense Moisture Mask

Back