good daily moisturizer for type 4a/b damaged hair?

valenciab

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum and need some help. I had been getting a Optimum mild relaxer for some years. I switched to Visions relaxer and a new stylist 20 weeks ago. Since then, I've experienced lots of breakage (about 8 to 10 pieces per combing) esp. in the back of my hair. I have two patches (one of the left side and one on the right side) that are 2 inches long.

My hair is in layered bob about six inches and five inches in the back. It's been six weeks since my last relaxer and I will get it relaxed tomorrow with Optimum again and the old stylist. I plan to try the damaged hair treatment this weekend(Aphogee treatment, PM Supercharged and Porosity Control) in hopes of stopping some of the breakage. I use UBH Hair lotion twice a day to moisturize but my hair still feels like it needs more oil and breaks easily. I either roll or wrap my hair at night. (Wish it was long enough for a bun). I need a daily moisturizer to prevent dryness and stregthen my hair from breakage. I've also tried Dudley's PCA, Profectiv Healthy Ends and Relax Frizz Ease correcting serum with about the same results.

I've had this problem before when I switched from Optimum to Affirm about six months ago. I cut the back off and started over and switched back to Optimum. I plan to stick with Optimum from now on out. Should I could the back or wait and see how it does? Please help with recommendations of how to moisturize dry, brittle damaged hair and if cutting is necessary. All other advice greatly appreciated. I plan to post pics tomorrow after relaxer.

Welcome to the board...
wave.gif

I am kinda new myself, but I'm sure on these ladies will help you out!!!
I would say a protein treatment (Aubrey's GPB)....Hold out on the relaxer.... Moisture Moisture Moisture

If your hair really is damaged and not just dry maybe you should cut off the damaged parts.I found that nothing worked for me until I cut off the damaged parts of my hair.You can even do it gradually if you think it is too much to do all at once.

[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
See I'm still new... Your not suppose to use protein treatments on damaged hair...
clap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh. Why not? What should I use instead?

I don't know a lot about moisturizers, but I had a lot of breakage in my lower scalp area. I got all of the split ends cut off, and my stylist recommended that I use some Sulfur8 on the damaged area. Since then, it has grown in nicely. I got mine from Sally's. The smell of the stuff is terrible though
frown.gif
...but it worked for me.
smile.gif

welcome to the board Valencia. We're glad to have you. I have the same hair type and when I joined this board, I was suffering from severly damaged hair. I've had to gradually trim it while learning to properly care for my hair.

You should probably try to correct the dryness problem first before cutting. Maybe your hair will respond to being properly moisturized and, you will not have to cut as much. The UBH is supposed to be good but I've never tried it. You may need more oil. Wildgrowth oil is really good to use on the ends. Some other goodies are Hot Six oil and one of my favorites - Proclaim's Natural 7 Oil from Sallys.

One thing you may want to try:
take a spray bottle and mix some oils like extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil or jojoba oil and add some distilled water to it and shake. The water gives the hair moisture and the oil will help to seal in the moisture.

Hi Valencia!
wave.gif

I have been in your situation before. I wouldn't suggest cutting your hair without trying a few things first. You may be able to salvage the situation without loosing a lot of hair.

I suggest that you start with some deep conditioning. I like to use Lekair cholesterol in times like this. It really moisturizes your hair and restores the elasticity. If you don't mind washing you hair more than one a week I would suggest doing at least 2 deep conditionings with the Lekair. It is an inexpensive product but it works wonders for dry brittle hair. I think it will be ok to do the hair treatments as long as they are followed up with a moisturizing condtioner.

I think that your hair may be a little too fragile to have a relxer just yet. Even though stylists suggest getting them every six to eight weeks, it is a habit of the ladies on the board to stretch relaxers out even longer with a lot of proven methods used here.

If you feel that you can wait no longer make sure your hair gets plenty of moisture and then more moisture. I am not talking about oil. Oil simply locks in moisture it doesn't moisturize. S-curl or stay soft fro are staples for a lot of ladies her on the board but those are mainly used when wearing protective styles.

You mentioned that you are wearing a short bob. Is there anyway you can concentrate on extra moisture for a week or two until you hair is restored?

If s-curl is not for you find a great leave-in conditioner and seal in the moisture with oil. I like to use Biolage Leave-in tonic. I hear Pantene makes a great leave in conditioner too.

If the Optimum is working for you I suggest you stick with it. Just like the old saying goes "if it ain' broke don't fix it"!!

Good Luck to you! I can't wait to see your pics.

I think you can use protein on damaged hair as long as your hair is not too dry already. Try the oils and moisturizers for a few days first and then do the protein treatment.

Here's another vote for s-curl. This is an excellent moisturizer that can be used from scalp to ends. Also try stretching out your relaxer (2-3 monts) and doing conditioner washes.

I agree with ladies...deep condition and moisturize. Washing your hair twice a week is very good because you are getting that extra moisture. I use Aubrey GPB twice a month, it is a mild protein and it does not make my hair hard. Another thing...are you using alot of heat to style your hair, if so you might try rollersetting or wrapping and going under a hooded dryer (indirect heat). I am 4a/4b and I use ORS Olive Oil Lotion (you might try the creme, it is heavier), after I put that on I use Kemi Oyl (Hot 6 Oil or Wild Growth Oil is also good) to seal the moisturizer.

Thanks soooo much ladies!!!!

I got a relaxer. My old stylist said that the previous stylist was underprocessing my hair and that is was a mess.
Anyway, she trimmed off about two inches and it feels so much better now. I plan to try sulfur 8 on the areas that are really short (thanks for the tip). I'm moisturizing daily with Dudley's PCA hair lotion followed by Kemi oil (thanks for the tip). I still have about 3-5 short pieces to break when I comb it, but overall much better.

I've taken pictures but can't find the connector to upload to my computer. Will post pics as soon as I find it.

Thanks again for the advice and the emotional support. It helps to know someone has been thru what you're going thru!

Back