Good article...says cutting hair only makes it shorter

jasmin

This article was sent to me by Just4hair.

As I am sure you have heard, if you cut your hair frequently, your hair will grow in faster, longer, and healthier. Gobbledygook! This myth came from the observation of men's facial hair. As they shaved, the facial hair would indeed grow in thicker. Its called, 'puberty.'

This is because certain male hormones affect facial hair in that manner. They do not affect the hair on your head in the same way. To the contrary. Male hormonal activity is what leads to hair thinning and loss on certain parts of the head, but not all. Hence the familiar balding pattern known as 'male pattern baldness.' This same hormonal activity also affects women, but not until much later in life, and in a different pattern.

Cutting your hair only makes it shorter, does not affect the growth rate one iota, and cannot determine the length that your hair will grow to. Maximum hair length is determined by the shape and width of the hair shaft, and that is determined genetically and is not alterable with current technology. Lastly, hair is neither healthy or unhealthy. It is in fact, dead. Else, it would really hurt to cut it. It is the health of the hair follicle below the outer skin that requires nutrients for good health, and no adverse hormonal activity. So, unless you have split ends or chemically damaged hair, the only need to cut the hair is for the look that you want.

A few things that you can do to ensure that your hair follicles remain healthy and your hair is undamaged, are:
1. Take an inexpensive daily multi vitamin such as 'One-A-Day' or even 'Flintstones.' Your hair likes zinc and biotin and both of the above mentioned vitamins contain ample amounts of these. Don't waste your hard earned money on 'super vitamins.' Your body only requires so many vitamins per day and simply discharges the excess. You can't put twenty gallons in a ten gallon tank. In some instances, over dosing on supplements can actually be fatal.
2. Do not over brush your hair. With every stroke you damage your hair more. Brush only as much as you need to style the hair, then stop.
3. Buy a good quality brush or comb without sharp plastic or metal ridges. This is one of the common factors leading to split ends, as is over brushing.
4. Don't be penny foolish. Buy good quality salon products. The chemicals used in many if not most of the over the counter shampoos and conditioners, contain very harsh ingredients such as 'ammonium laurel sulfate' which can actually dry your hair out and cause breakage and split ends. Even worse, many contain a 'bad' form of silicon, and that can be very nasty on your hair. 'Pantene' is the worst of these in our opinion.
5.Don't constrict your hair with tight bands, hats, braids and the like. These also lead to split ends and hair breakage.

August, 2000 Hair News Magazine by: Damien R. von Dahlem

www.just4hair.com is your hair care location....

A few tips to help make your style be right for you.
A sexy hairstyle will:
1. Be a simple clean cut with clean lines. Understated elegance. Why we as a culture insist on mangling our brides with intense and often confusing updo's, is simply beyond me. The same goes for those poofy shoulders, bangles and bobbles hanging from the bride's dress as if she were an Elizabethan era lampshade.
2. Be age appropriate. Tell your husband you'll wear your hair long again when he can produce his high school stomach and biceps.
3. Be ethnically appropriate. Every culture has its jewels and gems, so why try to usurp someone else's heritage. It usually looks really dumb anyway.
4. Be revealing. Don't hide behind your hair. Open it up, show the world who and what you are. Stop insisting on celebrity cuts. Even if your stylist has the skill to give you the latest Meg Ryan cut, you still won't look like Meg Ryan.
5. Be proportionate to your face and body structure. Get a good stylist who knows the rules and math of proportionate cutting, drawing the eye to your best feature and away from your least flattering feature.
6. Be in line with your makeup. Please, blue eye shadow? I have never seen that make anyone look anything but trailer. Get help from a real pro, and I don't mean your local Avon or Mary Kay buddy. Their products are fine, some even good, I'm talking about the painter not the paint.

Thanks for sharing!

I never believed cutting your hair made it grow faster or longer. I just know after cutting your hair, it grows out thicker and healthier looking. :yep:

Yeah, make sure that you do cut off those splits. They will make your hair thin and damaged looking over time. Otherwise, put the scissors down!

Back