Going to India- what should i buy

mika vs sasha

Hi Ladies-

I'm going to India next month and I'm thinking about hair products. I know most people would be planning a visit to the Taj or something... but I know that you ladies understand. What should I put on my list?????

When you go make sure you check out what techniques the locals are using. Don't forget to ask alot of questions for us. It would be nice to find out exactly how the mix the powders for maximum results!

okay- looks like i need to do a search. It's a business trip but I'm going shopping w/ a local woman and I plan on getting as many hair tips as possible. I think if I name drop some oils, it may help. I plan on going to spa and getting a head massage. Right now, I don't use any Indian hair oil/powders, etc but now that i'm going... i'm very much interested.

okay- i've added vitika , and alma oil to my list. i'll make sure to keep everyone updated on any local hair oils/ shampoo's etc...

India!? Ur so lucky! I'd go crazy! I'd buy amla oil, shikakai powder, Brahmi Powder, Coconut oil, and loads of souvenirs.

And if you're interested in henna then I suggest you stock up on tons of the good stuff! If you're not interested in henna then stock up on Senna (cassia obovata)- same benefits without the color.

Aritha, neem, amla, shikakai, and brahmi.

If you have time why not go to an ayurvedic practitioner there who can tell you what your dosha is and prescribe the herbs for your particular constitution and hair type.

When you go make sure you check out what techniques the locals are using. Don't forget to ask alot of questions for us. It would be nice to find out exactly how the mix the powders for maximum results!

Ditto! I would find out how they have been doing their hair from the beginning, which products are best ...etc. Then you have a post a nice a loooooong thread for us! :yep:

Where in India are you going? I spent a summer in India, and I absolutely loved it. Of course, that was before Indian hair products were all the rage on the boards. I looked at the products, but I wasn't sure how to use them. If I went now, I'd stock up.

I'd buy traditional outfits and jewelry, too (well, that is what I bought. :lol: ) I have tons of jewelry from India and the traditional tunics look cute with jeans and sandals.

I agree with the poster who said that she would ask locals how they use their products and their regimens. :yep:

Actually, I would buy everything mentioned here EXCEPT the henna because of the lack of regulations of the lead content. I wouldn't but anything purchased for coloing the hair. Otherwise, due to tradition all the other oils and powders should be potent and unmixed with such harmful fillers.

Girl, make sure you buy a lengha too! You will be the best dressed at your next party, I promise :yep:

Brahmi Powder,Indigo Powder, Kesini Oil, Neelibringadi Oil, Brahmi-Amla Oil, Coconut Oil, Bhringraj Oil, and Mahabhringraj Oil, & Himani Gold Facial Products.

WHEEEW! :spinning: Wish I was going with you! :grin: My DS is 7, he'd fit in a medium sized carry-on!:lachen::lachen::lachen: I'd send all his snacks!:grin:

Fresh henna leaves or dried leaves to make your own henna powder. That's the freshest henna you can possible get. If you don't want to get the leaves, you can purchase freshly ground henna straight from the barrel (with the right color of green). I'd opt for the leaves so that you know nothing has been added to alter the color. It's not uncommon for imported Henna to have green dye to make it look fresher, when in fact it isn't and probably is expired. Get your nails colored with henna. But it has to wear off, so maybe you should opt to get only your toes. Its a natural method of nail painting. Get henna on your hands and feet. Many Indo/Paks refer to Henna as Mehendi.

If you are all about natural beauty methods:

If you wear eye liner, I would purchase something called Kohl or Kuhl (pronounced like cool). This is a eye powder that gives the same appearance as eye liner, but it very good for the eyes. (sties, eye gunk that builds in the morning and it is natural. If you aren't use to it, I wouldn't get the powder form.

co-sign on the gold (a lot of 24K there). They typically don't even entertain the idea of gold less than 24K.

You can get very high quality fabrics there (silk) and bring back to have outfits made from or have made there.

Last edited:
Back