Going natural - from permed hair

phoenix rising

Do any of you have any advice for transitioning from a perm to natural hai? I would eventually like to go back to press n' curl and would like to begin pressing my new growth as the hair grows. Braids are not an option because my hairline is already very thin and fragile.

Your suggestions,advice, or experiences would be GREATLY GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Thank You!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm transitioning now. See my post in the "Re-Introduction" thread for my life story... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I wouldn't advise pressing your new growth. My cousins do this without any any problems, but they are in that 2% of the population that can do anything to their hair and it still remains healthy and long. You can read more about the effects of pressing new growth in the nappturality forum:

http://nappturality.suddenlaunch2.com/index.cgi

Try curly roller sets or something else that doesn't require a lot of manipulation between the two textures.

I did it by wet setting(and keeping the new growth..especially where the 2 textures meet moisturized). Also keeping them as similar as I could.

Thanx Sweetcocoa for your words of wisdom -- but from the looks of your very lovely pictures -- my hair would never do what yours does. My hair is probably off of Andre's chart. I would probably classify it as 6J hair (LOL). Just dry, kinky, and HARD as brillo. I must say that it does grow, but in its natural state it won't look anything remotely like yours. I will try to wet set it for as long as I can, and then perhaps begin cutting the relaxer out..... /images/graemlins/smile.gif My hair was in much better condition when I pressed and curled it back in the day!!!

Thanx again for the words of advice!!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

LOL @ </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I would probably classify it as 6J hair

[/ QUOTE ]
That's funny.

Are you taking any supplements. I have found that they have changed my texture somewhat. Might make your natural growth easier to handle. I would have said the same thing about my texture not too long ago. Now I'm not so sure.

Back