Going natural again...

itsmetwig

Hi All,

Back in January, I decided to go natural. My hair was extremely damaged, so one weekend I brought clippers intending to cut it even. After all was said and done I was completely BALD. It felt good though because my hair was so damaged. And I look kinda cute :blush:

I wasn’t BOLD enough to wear my hair bald, so I wore a lace front wig until it grew out. I was really amazed by how fast it grew back. For the first time in a long time, my hair was healthy and it looked nice and thick. The only problem was it was extremely coarse, which I didn't understand because I have always had very thin hair.

Last July I let my sister talk me into getting a mild perm. My beautician used a Design Essentials perm and for some reason shortly after my hair started breaking off. So about 10 days ago I decided to get a quick weave. Yesterday, when I took the weave out, all my edges were gone :wallbash:. As I combed through my hair, I also noticed ALOT of shedding. Way to much to have only had the weave in for 10-days.

So, last night, I did it again! I CUT it all off. I just couldn't deal with how damaged it looked. My hairline was almost back to my ears. This time around I gonna try to stick with wearing my hair natural --- no more perms!

Any suggestions on how to keep my hair moist? And is there anything I can do about the coarseness?

Thanks.

I would say cowash with a cheapie moisturizing conditioner and use some of the conditioner as a leave in. It has helped my my natural hair really soft.

I know alot of ladies like the s-curl spray moisturizer. I use a glycerine/aloe vera mixture in a spray bottle and then seal with a natural oil like castor, jojoba or coconut.

The co-washes are very good too!

Congrats on going back to natural.

You've received some good advice so far. I use the Wave Nouveau leave-in moisturizer it keeps my hair really moist when I'm wearing it out.

I know alot of ladies like the s-curl spray moisturizer. I use a glycerine/aloe vera mixture in a spray bottle and then seal with a natural oil like castor, jojoba or coconut.

The co-washes are very good too!

Soliel are you using the aloe vera gel in your mixture or the liquid aloe vera?? This sounds like something I may want to try:yep:

SCurl the spray till hair is nicely moisturized then baggy every night. That's it! No need to reapply till wash day. Hair will be soft and fluffy for days:
SelfdoneCornrowsandNaturalPuff-vi.jpg

SCurl the spray till hair is nicely moisturized then baggy every night. That's it! No need to reapply till wash day. Hair will be soft and fluffy for days:
SelfdoneCornrowsandNaturalPuff-vi.jpg

Hmmm...I'm gonna have to try this! :yep:

OP--congrats on your return to the natural side. I've BCed 3 times--this last time is for good though. I commend your decision. (My first BC, I had my former beautician use clippers and I started from a fade.)

Right now, I deep condition weekly and I may throw a co-wash in if I don't feel lazy (unlike this week)! LOL! :) I'm gonna have to try the SCurl with a baggy though. :yep:

Soliel are you using the aloe vera gel in your mixture or the liquid aloe vera?? This sounds like something I may want to try:yep:

Liquid . I've gotten a jug of the Lily of the Desert dietary grade stuff, and I've used the liquid from lotioncrafters. You can add all sorts of things to it too - I've tried SAA, Rosemary,Peppermint, Lavendar, Sodium PCA, jojoba oil (tiiiiny bit) Hydrolyzed protein (like wheat germ) etc etc. It works really well for me.

As far as moisture goes: you could mist your hair with water a few times a day and once or twice lightly reapply your leave-in moisturizer. Conditioner washes can also be great. Good luck on your journey.

I agree on the co-wash advice. Especially when hair is short. No need for ANY shampoo (which will just assist in drying it out) at your length too often. And if you keep it simple, you should be able to do away with it all together.

I used a lot of coconut milk as a rinse when my hair was shorter, and that really helped with the dryness. My hair is SUPER COARSE, and it was always nice and soft after I did the coconut milk rinse - and then usually went with either bohemian hair (conditioner only) or naked hair.

Thanks Ladies.

Looks like I should begin with co-washes, so that's where I will start. It's only been three days and I already have a peach fuzz covering my head!

Mekay, you're hair is so pretty. Where can I find coconut milk? Health food store?

Congrats on the BC

Natural unefined shea butter is an excellent moisturizer, when I use it to twist my hair my twist-outs are very soft and moisturized.
What kind of shampoo are you using? I alternate between CON poo and my baking soda "rinse" for my weekly wash then I deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner. I use a light protein conditioner about once a month.
Pre-pooing with oils (jojoba, coconut, evoo) is essential IMO, my hair ALWAYS feels better when I pre-poo.
unrefined coconut oil is your friend :), I've used the spectrum brand and loved it
Co-washing works wonders for my hair in keeping it soft and moisturized.

What is/was your nighttime regimen?

Hi Intell,

I tried going natural earier this year and my hair grew out very brittle and dry. After reading all the post, I now know it was because I didn't moisturize my hair enough. Tomorrow, I'm gonna go out and get some new stuff. You guys have been really helpful and I'm gonna pick up some stuff that was suggested in this thread.

As far as I regimen, I don't really have one yet. Since I'm completely bald (only peach fuzz), I'm going to start with co-washes every other day.

What are twist-outs? And what is CON poo?

I recommend using a luscious, moisturizing conditioner (ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Packs or the big bottle is my fave) and sit under a dryer 10-15mins. I use Jamaican Mango & Lime Leave-in Moisturizer and coconut oil to seal.

Thanks Ladies.

Looks like I should begin with co-washes, so that's where I will start. It's only been three days and I already have a peach fuzz covering my head!

Mekay, you're hair is so pretty. Where can I find coconut milk? Health food store?

I know Whole Foods Market sells coconut milk for sure if you have one near you.

Thanks Ladies.

Whole Foods, Trader Joe's...where are you located?

Hi Intell,

I tried going natural earier this year and my hair grew out very brittle and dry. After reading all the post, I now know it was because I didn't moisturize my hair enough. Tomorrow, I'm gonna go out and get some new stuff. You guys have been really helpful and I'm gonna pick up some stuff that was suggested in this thread.

As far as I regimen, I don't really have one yet. Since I'm completely bald (only peach fuzz), I'm going to start with co-washes every other day.

What are twist-outs? And what is CON poo?

Twist-outs are when you twists the hair and undo the twists for a sort of elongated curly look. CON is creme of nature shampoo (I use the one in the gren bottle). This is a sulfate free shampoo so it's less harsh than most poos on the market.

Congrats on going natural again! I would say cowashing throughout the week should help a great amount as well as applying a leave-in moisturizing conditioner. This has helped a great amount in adding moisture and leaving in soft and got rid of all brittleness.

everything the ladies said I second and 3rd esp using the baggy, co-washes, some good cheap conditioners= suave tropical coconut, hello hydration orchid and coconut milk, proclaim aloe and shea butter, misting with scurl.

Thanks again Ladies....

I am so much more excited this time around! My lacefront is coming up alittle in the back and I keep feeling my little peach fuzz, lol...

Back